The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Signing] Ryan Kesler with Anaheim

AriGold

Good for Kesler. Canuck fans should never forget that Kesler and Burrows brought some respectability to a lineup that preferred to turtle or simply go through the motions. Their in you face attitude brought

some accountability back to the Canucks.

Only a handful more than Miller, who'll be the same age as Kesler will be when their contracts end.

ROR aside, the Phaneuf and Kessel deals are worse. Letang's. Bobby Ryan's. Boychuk's. Spezza's. Clarkson's. And what of J. Staal, Krejci and Bergeron or Chara's contracts? There are plenty of contracts like this on so-so forces, banged-up forces or non-elite forces.

Krejci doesn't play this reckless style Kesler does, but still gets banged-up often. I don't think injuries and playing style tie in at all though. Injuries happen.

If Kesler wins a cup this season or in the next two, then mission accomplished and nobody will care about this contract.

Good for Kesler. Canuck fans should never forget that Kesler and Burrows brought some respectability to a lineup that preferred to turtle or simply go through the motions. Their in you face attitude broughtsome accountability back to the Canucks.

This is laughable. I won't discount their contributions but the two of them didn't bring respectability to our team at all. Their antics and diving made us one of the most hated teams in the league. It was embarrassing

Good for Kes. I don't we can mock other teams contracts when we pay Sbisa 3.6 :picard:

3.6 for the next 3 years with no NTC/NMC is not that much of a bad contract.

Very movable. Plus, 5/6 Defensemen aren't worth 2 million anymore, especially in the next 3 years.

Kesler is a known quitter though so he may demand another trade if he doesn't get what he wants.

Yeah I am waiting till he gets pissed off at something the coaching staff does and then he will posion the locker room like he did here in Vancouver. He is great if everything goes his way but not a team player.

Look how this team has fallen, I don't blame Kesler for leaving and wanting to go to a winning team. Its been his dream to win a cup ever since he was a small child. Good for him, I hope he can win a cup with Bieksa.

Yeah well, he had parting words about his ten years with the Canucks.

"I felt more comfortable with voicing my own opinion, and battling with the guys night in and night out," Kesler said. "You become a family and I definitely feel a part of the core group now."

Kesler never felt part of the core here? :blink:

I suppose there was the time when AV called him out, sort of. Suggesting his injuries were no excuse, after the 2012 play off loss if I have my memory time frame right. Then Kess waited till late in the off season to have surgery. And did not come back till he felt ready more than half way through the next year. And it corresponded to acrimony with Lou, not replacing Ehrhoff or Malhotra. He still played hard. But I suppose you could sense that he was no longer emotionally invested.

Not surprisingly considering his bull cow personality, rumours of conflicts with team mates (getting punched out in an elevator?) surfaced.

All just my own speculation as to how the relationship fell apart?

That statement, I never felt comfortable voicing my opinion, it just seems so damning? Of the Sedins who seem as open as they come! And of AV, who aside from a few public feaux pas (Lou, Hodgson, Kess's injury), prided on giving the room to the team, its veterans and leaders which included Kesler.

Sigh...

Good for him. Surprised the Ducks gave him that much term at that hit given his age, style of play, and injury history. Too bad Bieksa went there would love to see him get a cup but there isn't a universe in which I could cheer for that team unless they were playing the Wild or Rangers.

Great contract for kesler, not that great for Anaheim. Would be much better if it was 3-4 years.

I agree.

But Anaheim also afforded themselves the luxury of being able to overspend on important pieces.

Following the Scotty Bowman team building mantra;

- They have an all star, top line all situations pivot; Getzlaf.

- A stud power winger; Perry.

- They run 4 lines, 4 pairs deep. The 2knd line of Hagelin, Kesler and Silverburg will be filthy fast. And also feisty!

- They have mis matches of speed AND size to exploit. Whichever one will create a problem the coach can roll out!

- They have an outstanding PMD; more than one, Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm is well on his way. Lindy - Fowler are also 2 way guys!

- They have been getting great goaltending in Anderson, have an heir apparent in Gibson.

- They have rookies in goal (Gibson), up front (Noesen) and on the back end in Theodore waiting to jump into any roles.

- My only question is perhaps size on the back end, but even then they have picked up Simon Depres and have Clayton Stoner?

Yeah well, he had parting words about his ten years with the Canucks.

"I felt more comfortable with voicing my own opinion, and battling with the guys night in and night out," Kesler said. "You become a family and I definitely feel a part of the core group now."

Kesler never felt part of the core here? :blink:

I suppose there was the time when AV called him out, sort of. Suggesting his injuries were no excuse, after the 2012 play off loss if I have my memory time frame right. Then Kess waited till late in the off season to have surgery. And did not come back till he felt ready more than half way through the next year. And it corresponded to acrimony with Lou, not replacing Ehrhoff or Malhotra. He still played hard. But I suppose you could sense that he was no longer emotionally invested.

Not surprisingly considering his bull cow personality, rumours of conflicts with team mates (getting punched out in an elevator?) surfaced.

All just my own speculation as to how the relationship fell apart?

That statement, I never felt comfortable voicing my opinion, it just seems so damning? Of the Sedins who seem as open as they come! And of AV, who aside from a few public feaux pas (Lou, Hodgson, Kess's injury), prided on giving the room to the team, its veterans and leaders which included Kesler.

Sigh...

AV questioning Kesler's injury to the media was straight up moronic and divisive.

Yeah I am waiting till he gets pissed off at something the coaching staff does and then he will posion the locker room like he did here in Vancouver. He is great if everything goes his way but not a team player.

Or make advances on a teammate's wife.....

It would have been the same contracts the Canucks signed them to if we were still in contention. I'd personally like to have Kesler on my team for another 6 years than the Sedins for another 3.

Dumbest thing I've read all day.

lol, are you serious? also, not everyone signs for super big discounts. this is fair value for kesler.

if it was for 2-3 year then i could see the reasoning but 7 years at 7m for a player who will likely decline in his offence and speed half way through the contract is crap.

The Sedins?

Sedins surely declined this year...

That worthless Daniel was tied for first I'm scoring between western conference teams that made the playoffs... He also had more primary assists than any player in the nhl.

That's no decline... For 7 million that's the city of Vancouver and it's fans winning the lottery.

DANIEL WAS ROBBED OF HART TROPHY RUNNER UP THIS YEAR.

Archived