The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Signing] Ryan Kesler with Anaheim

AriGold

Ouch, and Dreger reporting this:

So they're stuck with him, not that they would have much luck moving him with that contract and the age he'd be when they decided to.

It would have been the same contracts the Canucks signed them to if we were still in contention. I'd personally like to have Kesler on my team for another 6 years than the Sedins for another 3.

With the way Kesler plays, it's very likely that he will either burn out or get injured towards the end of this contract. Good for him though.

We'll see. He hasn't really shown it with the way he played last year, but then again he was only 29-30.

On the higher end, but Anaheim has the cap space. Now can they sign their young defenceman is another question.

$6.5M AAV would have been perfect.

Perry $8.625

Getzlaf $8.25

Kes $6.875

Bieksa $4

Fowler $4

Stoner $3.25 (this one I don't get)

Cogliano $3

Maroon $2

Total $40

That's $40 million on 8 players, without considering the R.F.A.'s they'll have to sign who'll likely join that group (Silfverberg, Rakell, Hagelin, Lindholm, Vatanen, Despres, plus their two-headed monster in goalie with Andersen and Gibson)! In the near future if guys start to ask for big raises, which some of them will after winning a Cup (Vatanen, Lindholm, Silfverberg, Andersen and Gibson would likely want north of $3 mil each IMO), I could see this group going the way of Chicago after it wins, having to move certain pieces to remain competitive, and these longer-term signings might just handcuff the team if no-movement pacts are included. It's gonna be interesting to see which young contenders could rebuild well and which fall out of the picture (Boston?)

Too much money. His previous contract may be would be justified at that cost but not now. Hitting the latter parts of his prime and way he plays the game he has too much wear n tear on him. Highly doubt he plays at the level he is for another 3-4 years. Last years on the contract will look pretty bad imo.

Edit: still a great player. Never have hated him and people that do have to realize it's a business and he wants to win. Can't blame a guy for going after his dreams. He's an absolute warrior any team would take without hesitation.

Archived