The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Brandon Sutter deal almost done

Why not? Kesler is a shoot first guy and didn't really use his linemates well because he wanted to do it all himself. A lot of guys on this team aren't shoot first kind of guys and it's nice to have one.

The thing is Kesler can shoot and pass. He's always had an above average hockey sense and playmaking ability but his ego got in the way when they started giving him third line wingers so he didn't dish to them.

Sutter is a shoot first player because he is a poor playmaker, period. I'd like to think the forward position that commands the most open ice would be filled with someone that can find his teammates in key moments.

It's just a thought, but I think his skill makeup would be more suited for wing. The only reason he's a viable option at C is because of his faceoff abilities.

Because Clendening was more proven and seemed closer to making the NHL. With the lack of quality D-men on the farm, we needed an upgrade there.

It's not like Benning was planning to trade Clendening. Pittsburgh wanted him, so he was forced to include him to make the trade happen.

At the end of the day, they chose Corrado over Clendening since only one of them was likely to see regular ice time.

Which is not uncommon.

Chicago had Clendenning, and Dahlbeck also for that matter. They still added Rundblad by trade & Van Riemsdyk as a college UFA. Then let camp and competition decide who won a role, like Corrado appears to have done > and summarily shipped the balance out as assets to acquire more parts.

Nothing wrong with having brought in Clendenning. Having taken a look and having had the opportunity to help use him to get Sutter.

We are still pretty thin on D, and D prospects like him who are NHL ready though. It's a process I encourage Benning to keep repeating, but hopefully to solidify our D this next time?

People complain that we have a team full of guys who disappear in the playoffs, and then Benning gets rid of those guys and replaces them with guys who are likely going to be elevating their game at that time of year... and folks still complain about it.

Which is why no one in the organization reads CDC. Buncha whiners here

Which is why no one in the organization reads CDC. Buncha whiners here

I can see the hate for some of the moves Benning has made but I don't get the hate for this particular move. Sutter isn't a star but he's a solid player who doesn't look like a slug on skates. Bonino was great for his cap hit though I think that's where people are having the problem.

I agree Benning is doing exactlt what he said he would.At the time people were like good change coming,then when it does they bitch cause we never got more as people think on here every player we have are superstars.Makes me laugh as most seem to think this is a videogame and not real life.

I agree Benning is doing exactlt what he said he would.At the time people were like good change coming,then when it does they bitch cause we never got more as people think on here every player we have are superstars.Makes me laugh as most seem to think this is a videogame and not real life.

The arrogance is pretty funny sometimes.

People are all like "he only got a 3rd??" "I would have gotten at least a 2nd and a prospect."

It doesn't matter who would have become GM of the Canucks,..they would have been faced with the unpopular moves of dismantling the squad...Definitely a real eye opener as to how little value some of our former players had..

It doesn't matter who would have become GM of the Canucks,..they would have been faced with the unpopular moves of dismantling the squad...Definitely a real eye opener as to how little value some of our former players had..

Kesler, 5th, late 2nd

for Sutter, Sbisa, Dorsett, Mcann, early 3rd is an amazing deal, not even considering the fact that we could only trade Kesler to one team.

Mcann will no doubt be a better NHLer than ritchie

Sbisa will be a top 4 d soon, just not an awesome one- he is better than Bieksa and he is on a cheaper contract

Sutter is a great defensive center, leader who may put up some good points with good players

The thing is Kesler can shoot and pass. He's always had an above average hockey sense and playmaking ability but his ego got in the way when they started giving him third line wingers so he didn't dish to them.

Sutter is a shoot first player because he is a poor playmaker, period. I'd like to think the forward position that commands the most open ice would be filled with someone that can find his teammates in key moments.

It's just a thought, but I think his skill makeup would be more suited for wing. The only reason he's a viable option at C is because of his faceoff abilities.

Kesler was never a very good playmaker imo. Yes, he had 30 and 25 goal scorers on his line when his production peaked, but that can't really be attributed to Kesler's vision or playmaking ability and regardless, the linemates he had when he eventually gained full tunnel vision and stopped dishing to his wingers altogether were far better than what Sutter has had to work with, which is basically the next point - based on what do you conclude that he's a "poor playmaker"? If it's his assist totals that lead people to conclude that, that's only a fraction of the story/context.

In any event a center does not have to be a playmaker first and foremost - it's fundamental that they play a solid two way defensive game, which Sutter does. He'll have wingers that can also make plays regardless.

I can see the hate for some of the moves Benning has made but I don't get the hate for this particular move. Sutter isn't a star but he's a solid player who doesn't look like a slug on skates. Bonino was great for his cap hit though I think that's where people are having the problem.

I agree. I feel that Bonino on majority of teams is a 3C, not a 2C. Now Sutter is a 2C but he was shadowed by Crosby/Malkin. Hopefully Sutter doesn't make me eat my words and does live up to the 2C role :lol:

I agree. I feel that Bonino on majority of teams is a 3C, not a 2C. Now Sutter is a 2C but he was shadowed by Crosby/Malkin. Hopefully Sutter doesn't make me eat my words and does live up to the 2C role :lol:

Don't get your hopes too high. Sutter in my eyes is a top 3C but lacks grit. He's an expert stick checker and is quite fast. He's not really a 2C but we don't have much choice till Horvat gets more experience.

Campoli had a better pass to burr

^_^

It's so crazy how burr is able to knock that down and have it spinning like that and he still gets off a good shot. It was like a moving knuckle puck. it probably made it harder for crawford to try and track where the puck would go. Sorry, i got a bit off-topic. heh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TbJ-SKrsYs

^_^

It's so crazy how burr is able to knock that down and have it spinning like that and he still gets off a good shot. It was like a moving knuckle puck. it probably made it harder for crawford to try and track where the puck would go. Sorry, i got a bit off-topic. heh

This was my all time favourite hockey moment I just wish we could have pulled it out against Boston. Sorry Apollo we didn't win the cup in 2011 lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TbJ-SKrsYs

^_^

What a moment. I'll never forget it. Goosebumps every time... Burr is a champ.

It's a shame the man that scored the other epic goal that year is gone... Many from that run have vanished...

Bieksa gwg to send us to the final

Torres game one winner vs Boston

Lappy winner vs Boston

Luongo overall

Kesler tying game 5 vs SJ...

The long gone... =(

If JB trades Burr im gonna lose it

My friend is a huge pens fan. Follows them closely and this is what he had to say about sutter.

"sutter is a speedy center thats good at keeping the opposition to the outside. no physical play. gets push around alot. mediocre board play. solid pker. good for 2 to 3 sh goals. doesnt use teammates well like a kesler.great skater. good shot. solid defensive reads. doesnt use teammates. horrible offensive iq. doesnt play physical at all. falls down from a gentle breeze. doesnt cycle well and loses 9 outta 10 board battles. but hes so good breaking up plays for breakaways and playing on the rush."

This is what we can expect guys. Not sure thats worth what we're reportedly going to be paying him. But who knows maybe he will be a better fit for us.

Archived