The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Rumours] #FransonWatch

Lol no. He "chose"/was forced Bartkowski because of $ restrictions. If Franson would sign for that much he'd be in Rogers Arena practicing as we speak.

Based on what? Wishful thinking?

First off, how much interest would there be in Franson if he were not local? Same goes for Santorelli, who finally signed for another small contract.

Second, it was reported by the Franson camp that the Canucks have not even contacted them. At all.

It's pretty clear that at whatever price Benning is willing to pay for him it's much lower than the asking price, and that's if he has any real interest in the first place, which I doubt. He's not a fit with the new culture here.

As mentioned -- slow, not physical, average puck-mover. Can't speak to intangibles, but the team is going in an up-tempo, aggressive forechecking, gritty direction. He just does not strike as a Benning-type player, and the fact he hasn't even inquired is testament to that. Almost certainly not coming here, sorry.

Franson's hit count was grossly over stated when he was playing at the ACC, they're the worst real time stat counters in the league.(giveaway stats were comical as well)

So many times he would arrive at the boards after the puck was gone, shove the guy who just passed it, get credit for a hit and then lose the race back to the front of the net.

It's almost the same group as last year that made the playoffs. I really don't think that Bieksa made the difference in getting this team to the playoffs.

So are they really that bad collectively while only losing member? Or are you, and the rest of the our D is bad group, making a mountain out of a molehill?

K. Well, for a defense that was already questionable:

1. They lost Bieksa. He may not be a great top-4 defenseman anymore, but at least he could handle the minutes, provide leadership and a physical edge.

2. Corrado is no longer waiver ineligible, and they have no one to replace him who is as NHL ready, Biega might be close (but then who replaces Biega?).

3. Stanton, a dependable number 7 who played 54 games and provided a lot more than was hoped is out. Replaced by Bartowski, if Bartowski can get back on route to where he was before last year.

4. Clendening is gone and not replaced at all.

Not only did the quality of the top-4 dip, but the depth is worse.

5/6 on most teams? Come on man, that's bs.

Hammer may not be the stud he used to be but he's definitely not some scrub D-man. He plays tough minutes and was a big part of our top ranked pk last year. He's irreplaceable on this team right now.

I would say he's a #3 on most teams and at worst a #4.

K. Well, for a defense that was already questionable:

1. They lost Bieksa. He may not be a great top-4 defenseman anymore, but at least he could handle the minutes, provide leadership and a physical edge.

2. Corrado is no longer waiver ineligible, and they have no one to replace him who is as NHL ready, Biega might be close (but then who replaces Biega?).

3. Stanton, a dependable number 7 who played 54 games and provided a lot more than was hoped is out. Replaced by Bartowski, if Bartowski can get back on route to where he was before last year.

4. Clendening is gone and not replaced at all.

Not only did the quality of the top-4 dip, but the depth is worse.

Yeah a questionable group that helped get the team to the playoffs. No matter how you want to slice, as a unit, they were better than everyone gives them credit for despite going through multiple injuries that brought multiple AHL call-ups into the lineup.

I don't feel like addressing this point by point as I would fully expect some point by point rebuttal and we would just get no where. However, I am quite comfortable with what this team has going into this season.

Would I like Franson? Not really; even for cheap. The expectations would be so high and he would probably fail to deliver. Christ, some alleged fans are calling Hamhuis a 5/6 defender. That just goes to show you the expectation level.

I was interested in Matt Irwin, but apparently Benning wasn't.

Of the remaining group I like Schlemko, and maybe Ryan Wilson (to put through waivers). But I think the team is serious about giving Corrado a real shot. In any case, I am sure we will see a rash of injuries and signings around the league as training camps progress.

The way Bieksa struggled last year, the question could be postulated -- addition by subtraction? It was a small sample size, but I think the Comets' #3 was steadier than the Canucks' last year when in the lineup. He plays a nice gritty game, just too bad he isn't 2" taller and another 10-20lbs.

I don't normally play the injury card, but Hamhuis of the second half of last season is not the Hamhuis that we've all come to know and love. Hammer is 18 months removed from being one of the eight Canadian Olympians on the backend...a guy with his pedigree doesn't fall off the cliff and become a 5/6 d-man on any roster (including or especially the Canucks roster).

I was banging the "shut Hammer down and throw him on the operating table to fix his groin" when his game went into the toilet in late February/March this past season. I just hope he's rehabbed his groin to the point that he won't be playing with a nagging injury all season.

Gonna call it now...if he's back to full health, Ham-hoose is going to have a bounce-back season of biblical proportions (biblical because Hammer is a Christian). Yup, I said it...Hammer is going to have a big season and he's going to sign for three years at $5.0M AAV. Whether we like it or not, our top four for the next four season is going to be made up of Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis and Sbisa.

Hey big fellah I'm all for what your calling for. Hamhuis is all class. But you and I both know what happens when you post positive comments;)

We need a tough big-body D-man, or a guy with some sort of speed and passing ability. Franson is neither of those things. Man that Sbisa contract sure looks bad right now, some players are taking huge hits in this years FA group. Now we are stuck with his contract wasting our cap for next year.

Pedan is the key. He fits that mold perfectly, just need to develop him properly.

Other options if he doesn't pan out are Tryamkin, Stewart, or Cederholm. Each one has some aspect of toughness and skating ability. Most of them are still pretty raw though. Pedan is probably the most well rounded out of the 4.

Pedan is the key. He fits that mold perfectly, just need to develop him properly.

Other options if he doesn't pan out are Tryamkin, Stewart, or Cederholm. Each one has some aspect of toughness and skating ability. Most of them are still pretty raw though. Pedan is probably the most well rounded out of the 4.

I agree, I think we have to develop one of our "raw" prospects and see how it pans out. Benning addressed toughness with Prust at the forward spot, but we need a guy now that Juice is gone to make crease crashers accountable.

I am hoping Pedans concussion is not career threatening, kid is built like a beast.

for all intents and purposes, stewart is a forward now.

Archived