The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do you see the Canucks by 2020?

supermanbieksa

Obviously the Sedins will either be on the 4th line playing a very productive couple of minutes per game or be co-head coaches for the team. Either way they're sticking around. Virtanen will be captain. Boeser will be our designated sniper on the 1st PP. Horvat will have 2 Conn Smythe trophies. Baertschi will score 40 goals that year, 20 of them against Calgary. J Subban will surpass his brother in every category except hitting. Tryamkin will be a 3-time Norris Trophy winner. Shinkaruk will be a point-per-game player. McCann will destroy Kesler in the playoffs. Demko will beat all of Luongo's records. Zhukenov will be the next Datsyuk. Corrado will have a monster season then be traded for PK Subban. Don Taylor will be back on Sportsnet. Canucks will have 4 Stanley Cups by then. They will play Detroit in the 2020 SC finals and beat them in 7.

Quote me on this. Mark my words. Print then frame this entry up on your wall.

I don't get it. Is this another "tank thread" that has been extrapolated over a couple of extra years (we're wasting our time still trying to be competitive, won't make a difference even after 4 more years yada yada yada) ? Or am I just that sick of tank threads that I see them everywhere I look ?

it's not a tanking thread, personally I hate the term tanking. Should never head into a season with the mindset of losing. I'd just started thinking about when we'll be a cup contender again and wanted to know what others opinion were. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sweet, so the team can vote on whether the team's going to suck? Conspiracy theorists will have a field day with that.

Then again, I'm surprised MLSE has let the Leafs suck for that long.

(The word you're looking for is mediocrity :)). Jokes aside, we'll have to see, if the team bottoms out for an elite player and the prospects develop quickly we could easily trend upwards in a hurry. Then again, in Exhibit B we have the Edmonton Oilers and old Columbus Blue Jackets... simply put it's too far in the future to predict.

Sorry about that, I'm not a native speaker and I got to admit that I was unsure if mediocrasy was the right word. And now I know I was wrong and will never make the same mistake again, thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just revisiting and reading thru this thread, it would be pretty cool if this thread stays alive until 2020 and beyond for us all to see how it unfolds and if our predictions came close. Long time and we're only on page two so I doubt it will get

I think JB has a plan and he's going down the right way to rebuild. He's setting up the team nicely with young players and prospects, no sure fire top tier future all stars yet but with hope of someone like Virtanen becoming top 3 winger.

In approximately 5 years from now you have a solid base for the team with current draftees and young players contributing as real good 2nd , 3rd and 4th liners and hopefully included will be a piece for the 1st line. The team will miss the playoffs and get a couple of top 3 draft picks around that time. Hopefully you get a 1C and another top line forward or 1D. You surround them with a couple of real good UFA signings and make trades to supplement the team's needs. Its a long process that's just beginning. Luck obviously plays a role and we'd have to get lucky on some draft picks. Should be an interesting ride to see how it unfolds.

Hockey being a team sport the best way to build a championship caliber team imo is to have a strong foundation with lines 2, 3 and parts of line 4 in place and then complete the 1st line with a top end draft pick or two. If you do it the other way around you get top line skill but no depth or grit for the rest of the team like Edmonton.

IMO assessing the talent of prospects before they make the NHL is not realistic. It is all how we develop and nuture these prospects, and this is the main strategy of JB and Linden. So far I think they are doing a great job. Detroit is the model for developing their own prospects, often waiting, even too long, until they allow them to enter the bigs, and the results are proven. Other teams like the Oilers rush their prospects and the results are bottom feeders.

I believe in our development process, Utica did great last year, we have coaches with similar philosophy and the entire franchise is under one philosophy.

We will be contenders by 2020.

Don't want to be that guy, but did you mean nurture or neuter?

Markstrom will flourish has a starter but Demko will play well too. We will end up benching Jacob for Demko in the playoffs but then at the draft we will trade Demko. And then just as it seems Marskstrom will be our starter for the next couple years we trade him too at the next years dead line.

Markstrom will flourish has a starter but Demko will play well too. We will end up benching Jacob for Demko in the playoffs but then at the draft we will trade Demko. And then just as it seems Marskstrom will be our starter for the next couple years we trade him too at the next years dead line.

I see what you did there

3rd in the Pacific with 98 points, we are one of the best Defensive teams in the league with solid goaltending and a potent powerplay. We lost the Sedins to the Expansion draft, and had a couple tough years where we were finishing bottom 5 in the league. Our team is on the rise with 4 20 Goal scorers last year. No super star, but a team that get's it done by committee.

We have one of the best 3rd lines in the League that regularly shuts down opponents.

Lucic Sutter Grenier

Shinkaruk and Cassels have developed great chemistry in the AHL and have transferred that over the to NHL now in a second line role. They are flanked by Brock Boeser who has emerged as a great percentage shooter on the PP in his first NHL season and has moved up form the 4th line to the second line.

Shinkaruk Cassels Boeser

The 4th line might just be one of the most talented in the league, wrecking ball Ronalds Kenins has gelled well with the fast paced style of Jared McCann in their first year on the 4th line together, and the pair also have solid all rounder Brendan Gaunce on their line. Their speed and board play make them a tough matchup, and have the potential to steal some extra minutes this year from more established players.

Gaunce McCann Kenins

Coach Dejardins made a statement by choosing Bo Horvat as Captain when the Sedins left, and having his top horse and leader stick by his side has allowed him to have one of the longer tenures in todays NHL. The trio of Baertschi Horvat Virtanen has been playing together for 3 years. Their fast paced physical game allows them to maintain solid possession numbers, and feast on the fast break. All 3 players have had 20 goal seasons, but this year they look like they might take it to the next level.

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

This is no doubt highly inaccurate, but it was fun to write. Cheers if you actually read it hah, can't get those minutes back.

Who knows what the D will look like.

Hutton Tanev
Pedan Corrado

Tryamkin/Cederholm Subban

Brisebois Neill

One option would be to try to turn either Hammer/Virby/and or Miller into a legitimate defenceman prospect at this year's deadline.

I don't think you understand how hard it is for even a forward to become a defenceman. No chance Miller becomes a defenceman this late in his career...and he's way too skinny anyway.

There are obviously some posters that can't smell the roses and are too young to understand the business of hockey.

One question to be asked or answered is, how many top line players have played two or three years in the AHL?

Unless this team can draft players in the top three picks and remember it took the Sedins 4 or 5 years to polish their game in the NHL, this team will not be contending by then, they will have to trade for 1 or 2 top line players that are already established in the league, something like LA did.

In the division three teams will be very, very strong, two on the slide and then the Nucks somewhere in the middle.

It would be easy for the Nucks to stay competitive but not contenders.

2020 is not that far away.

Don't underestimate the prospects but most of all, don't over estimate them.

IMO assessing the talent of prospects before they make the NHL is not realistic. It is all how we develop and nuture these prospects, and this is the main strategy of JB and Linden. So far I think they are doing a great job. Detroit is the model for developing their own prospects, often waiting, even too long, until they allow them to enter the bigs, and the results are proven. Other teams like the Oilers rush their prospects and the results are bottom feeders.

I believe in our development process, Utica did great last year, we have coaches with similar philosophy and the entire franchise is under one philosophy.

We will be contenders by 2020.

I'm a big Canucks fan. But if the Canucks are contenders by 2020, what does that mean for other Western teams with far better assets than the Canucks, are they not contenders?

- Flames

- Oilers

- Predators

- Jets

- Avs

All of these teams, like it or not, have youth right now (and more in the pipeline) that are far better than the Canucks. Whether we want to admit it or not, all the above Western teams, in 5 years, are setup for success far more than the Canucks are.

I'm a big Canucks fan. But if the Canucks are contenders by 2020, what does that mean for other Western teams with far better assets than the Canucks, are they not contenders?

- Flames

- Oilers

- Predators

- Jets

- Avs

All of these teams, like it or not, have youth right now (and more in the pipeline) that are far better than the Canucks. Whether we want to admit it or not, all the above Western teams, in 5 years, are setup for success far more than the Canucks are.

You can add the Ducks, Coyotes and Blackhawks to that list. They're 3rd, 5th and 8th as far as team prospect rankings go.

Archived