The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rogers arena is too quiet during canucks game

WalkWithElias

I'm at the arena 90% of the games a year, and i find that we need to be louder , i would start up a go canucks go chant and it would die down in 15 seconds , i sat lower bowl for 1 game chanting that , and i had some person thinking i was crazy , we have to make this the toughest building to play in again , the players feed of us too, so the louder it is , the more pumped they will be

I was actually told to pipe down/not use my mini cowbell one game by the CBC folks. Meanwhile, the woman who told me not to use it stood behind me gabbing about unrelated, non hockey stuff to another CBC staffer beside her. Non stop, so I let her know "no double standards". She vacated and I let the cowbell ring.

It's a hockey arena...the day we can't make noise is the day we need to replace pucks with feathers and goal horns with soft, seaside sounds. Then we can all sleep peacefully at the game.

With that, I'm always mindful of those around me and let them know "if I'm bothering you, I'll stop". No one has ever done so and most tend to join in and get involved with me. I've been known to hand the cowbell to kids so they can participate after goals....they love it. I also only use it in a timely fashion (after goals, big saves, fights, etc.).

I'm at the arena 90% of the games a year, and i find that we need to be louder , i would start up a go canucks go chant and it would die down in 15 seconds , i sat lower bowl for 1 game chanting that , and i had some person thinking i was crazy , we have to make this the toughest building to play in again , the players feed of us too, so the louder it is , the more pumped they will be

We get it already, we don't need a thousand threads about this. Yeah, Vancouver fans not so great, and probably nothing we can do about it. Tickets too expensive, fanbase not hardcore enough, no group to lead us in witty chants like Winnipeg, etc. Fans here are stupid anyways, so just stay quiet for all I care.

Unfortunately, the Aquilinis and their fellow billionaire counterparts around the league don't want fans. They much prefer "guests" in their state-of-the-art arenas. These greedy capitalist owners have their watchdog ushers micro-managing their so-called "guests" during games, making sure that they don't behave like passionate fans.

That's why we'll eventually see the Whitecaps take over the Vancouver market. They allow their fans to be FANS.

The problem is you go to 90% of the games.

If you think a 0-0 game on a Tuesday night against the Hurricanes is going to draw an intense crowd then.

I went to around 5/6 games last year and aside from the game against Columbus, the crowd was at least satisfactory if not good for all of them, and this was in the lower bowl.

Entertainment is also the obvious answer, with the youth movement slowly coming in, and us transitioning to a faster more exciting team, the crowds should be better.

there's being loud and being obnoxious

i have never seen loud people kicked out of the arena i have seen obnoxious people kicked out not going to go into detail on what's the difference people should already know that if they have been to a game

it's a huge difference in terms of loudness compared to tv and actually being there so saying it's quiet on tv holds 0 credibility

people should also realize that not every fan has to be loud there will be people like myself who just want to see a game live i will chant do the wave once in awhile but my focus is on the game not what the crowd is doing sorry

They can hire some young women to stand in the stairs and cheer lead. Like at the worlds.

Fans make noise when something happens, which shows they are following the game.

I like to watch the game when I go. In my years I have never once seen an attendant kick people out for too much noise.

You hear about it on this forum all the time. I have not seen it, I have attended over 300 home games.

Drunks yes! People swearing yes! People in fist fights with other fans....YES!

OP, I'm surprised that in your four years as a registered CDC'er - even with your limited posting - that you haven't seen at least one of these threads. They're one of the more common threads over time to ever be on CDC, and no amount of complaining here has changed anything.

For the record, even if I don't go to 90% of the games, I still try and make a few each year, and strangely my experience has always been one where there's pretty good noise and fans are quite active while the game is good enough to hold their attention. It does lull along with the game, but there's not really much to complain about - at least not with thread after thread on CDC when they don't have any effect on the problem you want to complain about.

I was actually told to pipe down/not use my mini cowbell one game by the CBC folks. Meanwhile, the woman who told me not to use it stood behind me gabbing about unrelated, non hockey stuff to another CBC staffer beside her. Non stop, so I let her know "no double standards". She vacated and I let the cowbell ring.

It's a hockey arena...the day we can't make noise is the day we need to replace pucks with feathers and goal horns with soft, seaside sounds. Then we can all sleep peacefully at the game.

With that, I'm always mindful of those around me and let them know "if I'm bothering you, I'll stop". No one has ever done so and most tend to join in and get involved with me. I've been known to hand the cowbell to kids so they can participate after goals....they love it. I also only use it in a timely fashion (after goals, big saves, fights, etc.).

Oh man, that cowbell would kill me. I already wear earplugs to anything with noise due to my tinnitus, but that'd cut right through. I still love to woo and cheer when I'm there though because I can't help myself.

I'm paying several hundred dollars to watch hockey, that's the entertainment for me. I don't need music, fan participation, dancing girls, etc. I just want to watch hockey. Everything else is a distraction.

A good crowd does add to the experience though. It's still fun, but a Thursday night game during the regular season against St Louis isn't the same as Game 2 of the Western Conference finals against San Jose in 2011. The latter game was insane and probably my best ever in-arena experience.

When I go I drink lots of beer and cheer on my team to no end. I don't care what others think I make noise for the team jut like I do in my living room. Only had one look of disgust from some makeup wearing hound.

You make noise for the team, how cute.

Unless the whole building is loud, players don't notice an individual. Those who do lack focus during the game.

Archived