The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

5 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I stay clear of companies from China. 

Made money with BABA while back but I stay clear now for the same reason I wouldn’t buy Gazprom stocks.

A buddy I went to school with ended up as an architect down in Brisbane, Australia. His firm did work all over SE Asia and in Saudi Arabia. He got a call from a ex-patriot Chinese fellow who said he was going to do a development near Shanghai, China. This guy had done condo towers in Vancouver and the firm knew him. Anyway my buddy flies into Shanghai for a site inspection after they had been working on the project for 3 months. He had preliminary concept drawings but nothing finalized. No geotech work had been done on site. They get on site and the land was totally bulldozed and excavators were everywhere. This was a big project. Housing for 7,500 and commercial space of 500,000 sq ft. My buddy is freaking out and tells the guy they cannot move forward without proper permitting. This guy looks at him, smiles and says he doesn't need permits. I pay the governing council 'fees' and all that stuff is forgotten. Then he says we are doubling the size of the project. My buddy got a plane out of Shanghai and never went back.    

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

A buddy I went to school with ended up as an architect down in Brisbane, Australia. His firm did work all over SE Asia and in Saudi Arabia. He got a call from a ex-patriot Chinese fellow who said he was going to do a development near Shanghai, China. This guy had done condo towers in Vancouver and the firm knew him. Anyway my buddy flies into Shanghai for a site inspection after they had been working on the project for 3 months. He had preliminary concept drawings but nothing finalized. No geotech work had been done on site. They get on site and the land was totally bulldozed and excavators were everywhere. This was a big project. Housing for 7,500 and commercial space of 500,000 sq ft. My buddy is freaking out and tells the guy they cannot move forward without proper permitting. This guy looks at him, smiles and says he doesn't need permits. I pay the governing council 'fees' and all that stuff is forgotten. Then he says we are doubling the size of the project. My buddy got a plane out of Shanghai and never went back.    

Not surprising.

Just venture off away from the main downtown or tourist sites and you'll see how shoddy construction is and the overall lack of standards/planning.  

Even common concepts like having even/flat sidewalks and having rain water not just running off to pool up into puddles/ponds that goes no where are like foreign concepts over there.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Merry Christmas FamJam!

Hell of a year, I'd like to think we all made some good money..

Looking forward to Biden taking over and renewable energy taking over on the market. What's the biggest renewable energy stock from the US ?

Look in to heliogen

1 minute ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Can't find the ticker ?!

it's a non launched IPO.  but look in to who's backing it.  just came to public light about a year ago.  Believe that covid held up a lot of its commercial proofing.  The US is gearing up hard for a rare earth metals find to push a solar and renewable mandate and ensure they're not beholden to china for those materials.  

Will be a really interesting next few years for solar, lithium/pegmatite and natural gas.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

it's a non launched IPO.  but look in to who's backing it.  just came to public light about a year ago.  Believe that covid held up a lot of its commercial proofing.  The US is gearing up hard for a rare earth metals find to push a solar and renewable mandate and ensure they're not beholden to china for those materials.  

Will be a really interesting next few years for solar, lithium/pegmatite and natural gas.

Hmmm.. Does sound like something that fits their bill ?! :ph34r:

image.thumb.png.0260ded9e5b1eff80247ab9f1d1fe1bd.png

1 minute ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Hmmm.. Does sound like something that fits their bill ?! :ph34r:

image.thumb.png.0260ded9e5b1eff80247ab9f1d1fe1bd.png

one of their potential sites is being mined or investigated by PWM in Ontario.  Pegmatite/cesium mining

https://energi.media/opinion/8-4-billion-lithium-opportunity-power-metals-corp/

Some potential issues with sinomine but otherwise a large deposit, one of the largest away from the SE asian area

28 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

What's your take on it ?

Where to start. 

Amci was awarded funding under the OPEN Program of the US Department of Energy's Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E). 

They’ve started talks with aviation & automotive groups to pursue strategic joint ventures as well have started talks with energy organizations in Europe & Middle East that are looking into diversifying into the clean energy market.

Nissan is currently testing AMCI’s MEA in their next gen vehicles. 

They are working with partners to develop a hydrogen purification MEA for use in the NASA space station, and also in a program funded by the European Space Agency to fabricate a HT stack that operates on high pressure oxgyen & hydrogen designed by advent. 

Unlike quantumscape, today amci has 300K TPS & MEAs that have been sold for use in defense, power systems, battery range extenders for hybrid vehicles, remote power for telecom & auxiliary power in remote locations.

849005E3-EA03-46C6-B4F8-D7522A6D56E6.jpeg

17 hours ago, Bingo Chili said:

Which broker you guys use and type of acct ( margin, cash or tfsa)

I use Questrade. No complaints other than the UI. The App is very average but the website is fine. 

A couple things I don't like about Questrade is that it takes too long to transfer money into your account and while you can hold multiple accounts, you cannot give them nicknames. I have one account for common stocks, one for ETFs, and one that it kind of a mad money fund. Questrade only shows you the account number. It is easy enough to just memorize the account number, but I don't know why they wouldn't just allow you to give names to your accounts.

If there are any persons new to investing, I strongly advise against WealthSimple. Their UI is the absolute best, but unless you plan to exclusively trade on the TSX, it is not worth it for the fees you pay exchanging USD (you cannot hold an account with USD, so every transaction you lose about 1.5%).

Edited by Down by the River
  • Like 1