The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason performances: reality vs business of what starting roster should be

TheRussianRocket.

No Virtanen. He was physical, but we got other players who can bring that, too.

As Desjardin's style isn't overly physical, I think we should focus on other things. Keranen still got a lot to learn and will got loads of icetime in Utica. From the comments I've heard from Desjardins, Benning and other staff members, they think just about the same as me. They liked what they saw, but he just got outplayed and is less of a complete player than other prospects.

We got 12 Forwards with NHL contracts plus Horvat who won't get sent down. As Higgins is out, we got 12 Forwards plus 6 Defenders. Benning said that they'll make room for young guys who earn themselves a spot. I don't believe him. Our vets either just got signed / acquired, got a bad contract or are just too good to give away. As Higgins is injured, the only three players Benning could move are Vrbata, Hansen and Hamhuis. Although we probably agree that they're no superstars, they're too good to trade at that point. Trading even one of them would mean to go into rebuild mode and push for Matthews.

What he could do is to put players like Vey on waivers, but that's never gonna happen. Offseason acquisions Bartkowski, Prust and Sutter could become a real problem. Maybe Sutter can finally pick himself up, but I just can't see why Bartkowski and Prust should be on our roster let alone at 1,75M and 2,5M

As McCann, Hutton and Biega had a strong camp, I'd like to think that they at least start the season in the nhl.

Assuming that Desjardins will manage to hold his own against Benning my prediction would be that we start like this:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Baertschi, Sutter, Vrbata

Kenins, Horvat, Hansen

Prust, McCann, Dorsett

Vey

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Sbisa

Hamhuis, Weber

Bartkowski, Biega

If they're gonna keep McCann, the center position will be the biggest problem. I know that Desjardins played McCann on the wing for a few minutes, but I can't see that happening in the regular season. If they decide to keep him, they need to play him and put him in a familiar position. As they probably won't Sedin, Sutter or Horvat, this means that Vey would need to make room. Not sure Benning actually wants this to happen.

Anyways, after the sharks game I'd like to see:

Sedin, Sedin, Dorsett

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Baertschi, McCann, Vrbata

Gaunce, Sutter, Kenins

Vey, Cracknell

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Sbisa

Hamhuis, Weber

Biega

It will be key to find a winger for the Sedins. In my view it has to be a right shot. Sadly, our best one, Vrbata, doesn't click with them and we need him to provide some depth. Only options left are Grenier, Dorsett or Hansen. Grenier sadly wasn't all that good yesterday and probably won't make it this year. As I still like the idea of having an energy guy with the Sedins, I'd give Dorsett, who looked pretty good recently, a chance and give Vrbata and Burrows some extra shifts.

Still not too sure about Gaunce at this point but even after the incident I thought he played a pretty solid game against a veteran nhl roster.

Dorsett on the 1st line? i mean c'mon man.

As Desjardin's style isn't overly physical, I think we should focus on other things. Keranen still got a lot to learn and will got loads of icetime in Utica. From the comments I've heard from Desjardins, Benning and other staff members, they think just about the same as me. They liked what they saw, but he just got outplayed and is less of a complete player than other prospects.

They do? That's news to me.......seems like most think thats a big missing element in the lineup. Theres no one even similar to Virts style.

The safe way for management to go seems to be on a steady incremental track of inserting youth at little to no liability ,even based on pre season evaluations it would allow for planning the moves that need to happen over next 12-16 months.So there fore I see Linden Vey as fourth center with possibly Cracknell in press box alternating with depending on teams they play.

This would send Gaunce back down to Utica until some other or a bottom six is moved out via trade,he is ready now an would be a emergency call up .

I think they send McCann back to jrs, as well as Virtanen however,one or two may get to stick around for possible nine game stint?

Bearschi could surprise or may an have the break out chance he needs,I will be rooting for him as I hate the flames.

The same could be said of Hutton he will probably get shipped back to UTica also as management takes a brief time out for air an collecting or revising the potential future, a conservative tack . OVerall they will not burn up ELC or rush in this crop an will maximize every flexibility to ensure maximum values acrue over the next 12-16 months in this micro rebuild season.

Over all the future looks brighter with light at end of the tunnel now to get there the big challenge.

Scoring goals this season with pretty much looks like it will be a challenge this year with upside potential

Your point about Willie's style is mute: Physicality was the reason GMJB brought certain players in.

They do? That's news to me.......seems like most think thats a big missing element in the lineup. Theres no one even similar to Virts style.

Kenins or Dorsett can play a similar style and did it before. Just makes little sense to do it during preseason.

They've also added Prust who should add some grit although I think that he's pretty useless.

Your point about Willie's style is mute: Physicality was the reason GMJB brought certain players in.

Right. And now they're here we don't need to rush a prospect into something he isn't ready for just because he's got more jump than veterans. He wouldn't be able to do this over 82 games anyway.

I'd be surprised if the keep him. Just can't see it...

The safe way for management to go seems to be on a steady incremental track of inserting youth at little to no liability ,even based on pre season evaluations it would allow for planning the moves that need to happen over next 12-16 months.So there fore I see Linden Vey as fourth center with possibly Cracknell in press box alternating with depending on teams they play.

This would send Gaunce back down to Utica until some other or a bottom six is moved out via trade,he is ready now an would be a emergency call up .

I think they send McCann back to jrs, as well as Virtanen however,one or two may get to stick around for possible nine game stint?

Bearschi could surprise or may an have the break out chance he needs,I will be rooting for him as I hate the flames.

The same could be said of Hutton he will probably get shipped back to UTica also as management takes a brief time out for air an collecting or revising the potential future, a conservative tack . OVerall they will not burn up ELC or rush in this crop an will maximize every flexibility to ensure maximum values acrue over the next 12-16 months in this micro rebuild season.

Over all the future looks brighter with light at end of the tunnel now to get there the big challenge.

Scoring goals this season with pretty much looks like it will be a challenge this year with upside potential

And they will be out of playoff contention by Christmas, count on it !

Dorsett on the 1st line? i mean c'mon man.

Check out what the Caps did with Ovi and Backstrom. They didn't have the ideal winger for them and just rotated other guys, including plugs, in and out. Give Dorsett 9,10 minutes and let Vrbata and Burrows do the rest. In my view we just don't have the depth to put Vrbata or Burrows together with the Sedins especially knowing that this combination isn't ideal.

The only options I can see would be Grenier who's probably not ready or Hansen.

imho There will be a minimal amount of rookies in this lineup over the season. Vey will be retained as 4th line center. Corrado will remain up as the spare defenseman. Hutton will be sent down. Virtanen and McCann will be returned. Gaunce will be sent down and used as call-up.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Bartschi Sutter Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Prust Vey Dorsett

Higgins

Whatever rook forward remains up won't see any icetime.

Edler Tanev

Hamhius Weber

Sbisa Bartkowski

Corrado

Whatever rook d-man remains up won't see any icetime.

I'm not sure what people are going on about. Our prospects are good, and they'll be better later, but literally every team has them. The great prospects, the difference-makers, don't let things like camps and preseason assessments keep them off the lineup.

Virtanen, McCann. Great pieces to have. We'll need more if we want to win the cup. A lot more. And we DO want to win the cup, right?

Cheers.

imho There will be a minimal amount of rookies in this lineup over the season. Vey will be retained as 4th line center. Corrado will remain up as the spare defenseman. Hutton will be sent down. Virtanen and McCann will be returned. Gaunce will be sent down and used as call-up.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Bartschi Sutter Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Prust Vey Dorsett

Higgins

Whatever rook forward remains up won't see any icetime.

Edler Tanev

Hamhius Weber

Sbisa Bartkowski

Corrado

Whatever rook d-man remains up won't see any icetime.

I'm not sure what people are going on about. Our prospects are good, and they'll be better later, but literally every team has them. The great prospects, the difference-makers, don't let things like camps and preseason assessments keep them off the lineup.

Virtanen, McCann. Great pieces to have. We'll need more if we want to win the cup. A lot more. And we DO want to win the cup, right?

Cheers.

This will probably be the lineup and its a complete waste that none of the rookies who actually performed don't get a chance to stick in the NHL. This lineup is worse than last year. IMO let the rookies play, we don't wanna see the same boring hockey that we've been watching for the past couple of seasons.

The kids have made a few of the vets expendable. Besides Gaunce Im not counting on any of the other guys making the roster after the 9 game trial is up.

That said...

I think that Higgins, Burrows, Hansen and even Vrbata will be expendable at the trade deadline. These guys are all vets who have SCF experience and can be very nice additions to cup contending teams.

Benning can really leverage on trade deadline demand and hopefully score some second round, perhaps even first round, picks.

The kids have made a few of the vets expendable. Besides Gaunce Im not counting on any of the other guys making the roster after the 9 game trial is up.

That said...

I think that Higgins, Burrows, Hansen and even Vrbata will be expendable at the trade deadline. These guys are all vets who have SCF experience and can be very nice additions to cup contending teams.

They are all great guys to move at the deadline but without vrbata we get real thin upfront and I'd hate to trade burr, it's all relative to returns.

Benning can really leverage on trade deadline demand and hopefully score some second round, perhaps even first round, picks.

The biggest mistake that you're all making is the thought that the Sedins are still 2 thirds of the #1 line... That's the reason why the team will not make the post-season.

If Benning is capable of finding a first line that doesn't have a twin on it... then and only then will Vancouver make the playoffs.

Last years advance was due to a weaker Western Conference... that luck is not in place any longer.

From a business POV, I think:

Sedin Sedin Vrbata - if you want a high return for Vrbata, he needs to put up goals.

Prust Sutter Dorsett - have to put these players in position to succeed from business POV.

Burrows Horvat Hansen - probably a better 2nd line but will probably be used less 5-on-5. But will be the PKers.

Baertschi McCann Virtanen - first 9 regular season games.

Higgins (IR)

Cracknell Vey - C depth.

Kenins, Guance, Grenier, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Cassels - FW depth. Call-ups

Edler Tanev - please stay healthy

Hamhuis Weber - Weber needed in lineup for point shot.

Sbisa Biega - have to play Sbisa from business POV. Probably Biega over Corrado based on preseason.

Bartkowski

Hutton Corrado - Utica 1st pair. Call-ups.

Pedan Fedun - Utica 2nd pair.

Likely.

But they should (and I think are) considering him for 4C.

'Obviously can't have him up...' Why not?

Yes they are giving him some looks because his play has earned it but he'll likely be in the next wave of roster cuts.

Why not? Because it would be at the expense of McCann/Gaunce which would be taking steps backwards and essentially going against the new direction.

Archived