The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason performances: reality vs business of what starting roster should be

TheRussianRocket.

I hate to say it but if it comes down to McCann vs Virtanen. McCann probably loses, fair or not.

The size issue is hard to ignore but the thing that might seal Jared's fate is that he has a much better Jr. team to go back to. He'll continue to develop in Jr.

I'm not sure the Canucks feel the same about Virtanen/the Hitmen and at this point this is just as much about their development as who has 'earned' it.

Could McCann and Virtanen both be here for their 9 game tryouts without having to expose other guys to waivers..?

Could McCann and Virtanen both be here for their 9 game tryouts without having to expose other guys to waivers..?

I think so (without having looked at salary cap implications). When Higgins gets back, things get interesting though.

Could very well be:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Baer, Horvat, Vrbata

Dorsett, Sutter, Hansen

Prust, McCann, Virtanen

Vey

There's a difference between rushing a player and letting one play at or within reach of his level of competence. RNH should have gone back to junior, but how much more will McCann learn from and develop there versus now being in the NHL?

RNH had no leadership to follow. And Edmonton was getting blown out. I am sure they have a few ruined players in Edmonton, this year we will see.

I think so (without having looked at salary cap implications). When Higgins gets back, things get interesting though.

Could very well be:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Baer, Horvat, Vrbata

Dorsett, Sutter, Hansen

Prust, McCann, Virtanen

Vey

Nothin wrong with that lineup!

sedin-sedin-virtanen

baerschi-horvat-vrbata

gaunce-sutter-burrows

dorsett-mccann-hansen

prust-vey-kenins

injured - higgins

our youth looks to be ready so we have way too many vets getting in the way. mccann has proabably raised the most eye brows this camp so he deserves a spot or at least 9 game tryout along with virtanen. higgins will be back in 2 weeks or so we are gonna have a log jam at forward.

vey, prust and higgins/hansen are expendable to make room

I AM UNCLEAR WHY SO many on cdc want McCann as 4th line center.

He is undersized for that roll as was Vey and Dalpe before him.

I do not believe he has shown NHL face off proficiency.

he has looked good playing against bad rosters.

long term I do not see 4th line center being good for his development.

Short term he might be better than Vey or Cracker but it does not sound to me like good developement

Short term he might be better than Vey or Cracker but it does not sound to me like good developement

Because other than perhaps Gaunce (who normally plays LW and is not subject to waivers), nobody else has grabbed that spot.

McCann has shown enough to get a look there IMO. He very well might not stick but what he's shown so far has earned him a look. Also, sandwiched between say Prust and Virtanen as in my above lineup, I doubt he'd have much trouble even at his size...

This happens every pre-season. People want to see our prospects on the roster whether it makes sense for their development or not. People are ancy.

People also apparently think their opinion is reality and that there's such a thing as a realist (there's not). :)

Hey all, Swiss guy here.

Based on what I saw so far, I don't think that Virtanen or Gaunce are NHL-ready yet. It just wouldn't be smart to rush them when there's no need to. But other than most of you I feel like Grenier should make this team. I even think that he would work perfectly with the twins. Play him 10mins a game and let Vrbata und Burrows do the rest.

Plus, McCann and Hutton were just too good to be sent down. They should at least start in the NHL as they deserve a chance to show what they can bring to the team. Preseason is nice but a completely different story. They just need to find out if they can do this night in night out if it actually matters. They can still get sent down if they're not ready but I'd be really disappointed if they don't get their chance. And with a chance I don't mean 5mins in a shutdown role. Also nobody really needs players like Fedun, Bartkowski, Prust or Cracknell anyway.

My opening lineup:

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen
Sedin, Sedin, Grenier
Baertschi, McCann, Vrbata
Kenins, Sutter, Dorsett
Vey, Cracknell
Edler, Tanev
Hutton, Sbisa
Hamhuis, Weber
Biega
PP1: Edler, Tanev, Sedin, Sedin, Burrows
PP2: Hutton, Weber, Baertschi, Horvat, Vrbata