The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All of a sudden the Canucks aren't so slow

TheRussianRocket.

Bartkowski is a great skater, but it's like as soon as he hits the redline he freezes and doesn't know what to do with the puck. If he could figure that out he could turn into a hell of a player.

A lot of the time he jus kills time and then chips it into the corner. That's not necessarily a bad puck play

Come off it man. He's right. We have some of the most brittle hockey fans in the NHL. Bandwagon jumping is an Olympic sport in BC.

A defeat on Saturday and we will be back to doom and gloom. Self entitlement is a religion on CDC.

damn straight .. and if Im honest with myself , I have to admit that making the playoffs will surprise me more than missing them

Is speed mattered then every team would be full of Mason Raymond's yet not one team is

Speed is and always will be one of the keys to a championship hockey team.

But it has to be combined with:

a) a willingness to the go to the net, something which a guy like Raymond would not do

b ) complementing that speed with quick passing

All the great dynasty NHL teams had speed to burn.

Speed is and always will be one of the keys to a championship hockey team.

But it has to be combined with:

a) a willingness to the go to the net, something which a guy like Raymond would not do

b ) complementing that speed with quick passing

All the great dynasty NHL teams had speed to burn.

What I mean is just saying we are faster doesn't mean we are better. Skill is more important than speed. Obviously you want both

I swear to God, the people who whine about CDC are worse than the CDC whiners. It's not like all the members of this community are always present. When something bad happens, the people who are on that train jump on and start whining. When something good happens, the optimists jump on and express their happiness. It's not that hard to figure out. Get over it.

Overall, I agree with the article. It certainly won't be like this all year, and I still think the Canucks miss the playoffs this spring, but it's still exciting because of what it represents. The bedrock is being changed, so in the long terms, this is a great step. And hey, if they can make something of it right now, well, let's see where that goes. All part of the journey.

Am I the only one worried about all the giveaways, neutral zone turnovers and lack of hitting?

Guess I'm jaded about decent play in regular season... Or spoiled

After game 1 of an 82 game season? Yes, you're the only one.

Can we keep Vrbata? He's actually a really good player and he's fast too.

He hasn't convinced me he can help this team come playoff time.

In what planet is

Bieksa faster than Barthowski

Bonino faster than Sutter

Matthias faster than McCaan

the only one with good speed was richardson and he was hobbled for the second half of the season

we added baerstchi and hutton as well

there is a clear difference in speed and to argue against that and say the difference is passing is incorrect

I would say Bieksa AND Matthias are actually quicker over the ice when they decide to go. So it's a matter of opinion unless you can come up with some stats.

we are faster asa team

And fastest way to play the game is passing.........our quick passes and quick acceleration was key in nuetruizing the Calgary fore check.

great support from the forwards.....seemed there was always a couple of option in passing.

And it helps that our newest dman 27 can skate and is cool as a cucumber in passing(and very good at it)

Like Bennington said " we want a team that can play any style". The added speed was crucial after last year, but I wonder if we're still missing an important ingredient which is that heaviness and size somewhere in the lineup.

Would Lucic help with that?

Absolutely. But I don't think it'll be enough.

It's the first game, but Lucic looked like la looked - frustrated and entitled resting on the laurels of their reputation as a good team - it's very possible la and Lucic have another off year, although my preference would be for him to have an awesone year and then sign with us even if it's for like 7 mill as long as he earns it

I would say Bieksa AND Matthias are actually quicker over the ice when they decide to go. So it's a matter of opinion unless you can come up with some stats.

My god Mathias and Bieksa were slow out there and it was painful how they would pinch and get totally pyloned (just made that word up). Especially Mathias the guy was the antithesis of quick. Dude even thought in slow motion, celebrated in slow motion, took a piss in slow motion etc... You get the picture. Those guys skated choppy as hell and their first steps last year seemed below average. At least Bieksa was tough, but Mathias for all if his god given size rarely played physical or drove the net. When he did good things happened but the guy was too slow to do it consistently

My god Mathias and Bieksa were slow out there and it was painful how they would pinch and get totally pyloned (just made that word up). Especially Mathias the guy was the antithesis of quick. Dude even thought in slow motion, celebrated in slow motion, took a piss in slow motion etc... You get the picture. Those guys skated choppy as hell and their first steps last year seemed below average. At least Bieksa was tough, but Mathias for all if his god given size rarely played physical or drove the net. When he did good things happened but the guy was too slow to do it consistently

Yup on all accounts. That's why I dislike the Guance comparison to Mathias. Guance has a way better IQ, and plays a far more physical game. I don't think Guance is quick, but he's definitely quicker that Mathias too. I'll be shocked if Mathias gets ten goals in TO this year.

It's the first game, but Lucic looked like la looked - frustrated and entitled resting on the laurels of their reputation as a good team - it's very possible la and Lucic have another off year, although my preference would be for him to have an awesone year and then sign with us even if it's for like 7 mill as long as he earns it

So if Lucic has yet another subpar season, this time with a whole new team, you'd still want to sign him... AND do so for $7mil?

:sick:

Canucks Curse, on 10 Oct 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:snapback.png

So if Lucic has yet another subpar season, this time with a whole new team, you'd still want to sign him... AND do so for $7mil?
:sick:

I'm hoping you were simply too caught up in the moment to realize what "Canucks Curse" said!

Archived