The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks lose 2-1 in an OTL

Odd.

At least we're managing our losses by getting points out of them. Only problem is we shouldn't have lost.

I was one of those posters who was very high on Wille when he came here and what he could do, but he's definitely been making some questionable moves. 4th line with less then a minute to go in the hockey game? The kid line which had a ton of energy playing so little and even being broken up when they were our best line? These are both dumb moves. The kid line needed way more ice time. They had 14 minutes in preseason against Edmonton. Stop being so damn afraid of the youth and play them. Such a frustrating loss.

I swear to god if Desjardins breaks up the kid line next game I'll be bringing my pitchfork to his door.

I often wonder if Willie is too scared to make mistakes. As a coach, it's about trials and tribulations. In the Calgary series, he played it way too safe and it bit him in the butt. Through the first snippet of this season, he's doing the exact same thing, not taking a chance with his talented yet unproven kids in dire situation and making head scratching moves like playing his 4th freakin line in the final minutes of the game. Just roll the damn lines and see what happens.

Thought we outplayed them the majority of the game, just couldn't come out on top in 3 vs 3. Tough luck on the Daniel's miss, but that sort of stuff happens, just not always to that extent.

I really hope we figure out the 3 vs 3. I think we have a great roster for it, but the lines haven't clicked yet. Very frustrating to not see the "Kid line" get any ice time in overtime. If your going to have kids on the team, you have to have confidence in them, I know from experience, and there is nothing worse knowing that your coach doesn't have confidence in you.

There isn't any point in having Virtanen, McCann, even Horvat as showed in parts of recent games if they aren't going to play period. Better to have them just play in junior/the A's, and get significant ice time.

If your going to have players on the team, and try are playing above average, play them! There was certainly no reason to no. Worst comes to worse, they score against the kids rather than the vets, we get to see a sample size of wage they can do down 2 men, and they grow from it. If we're going to get scored on, might as well be against the young kids instead of the old vets.

Anyways, if I were JB/TL, I'd be in Willies office right now.

Yeah, you can make better coaching decisions when it counts.

Anyone can role 4 lines or a practice, not everyone can mold a good roster and get young players confidence up and their offense rolling.

I just want him to stick with the lines and let them gel for a couple of games.

Seems to me like the Kids despite their warts are the ones driving this team right now. Why does that scare WD so much

He's admitted before that he's uncomfortable playing players that he doesn't have a solid grasp on their history.

Which also makes me think he might be the wrong coach for a transitional team. I think Desjardins is a decent coach at the NHL level (nothing great), but you can see he's not in his comfort zone using the pieces Benning and co. have given him. If he can't adapt, it'll be time to look elsewhere.

That's not to say the players aren't at fault too, they need to finish their chances, but the coaching decisions have been equally irritating.

The Oilers were very good at blocking shots around the net...Hardly any point shots were getting through (got to hand it to Oilers coach for that)...Canucks were unlucky,because they had more of the possession .

Having said that,the days of an easy two points against the Oil ,are definitely in the rear view mirror.

Sedin's cost the game. Can't believe I'm saying that.

Was it Dank or Hank who was literally coasting back when the Oilers scored in OT?

Any other player on the team would be getting blasted right now. If it were Bearcheese he'd be benched for a week.

He's admitted before that he's uncomfortable playing players that he doesn't have a solid grasp on their history.

Which also makes me think he might be the wrong coach for a transitional team. I think Desjardins is a decent coach at the NHL level (nothing great), but you can see he's not in his comfort zone using the pieces Benning and co. have given him. If he can't adapt, it'll be time to look elsewhere.

That's not to say the players aren't at fault too, they need to finish their chances, but the coaching decisions have been equally irritating.

He's a fool for thinking this way. He sure had no problem playing Vey even though he was terrible. I guess it's because he had him in junior several years ago.

Archived