The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks lose 2-1 in an OTL

Odd.

Lots of chances in all games played so far this year, but missing a lot of the finish.

Uh...missing a lot of the finish or...Finnish?

The Oilers had more Finnish,...in Lauri Korpikoski, who ended this game in style - tonight.

Yah - I wish we had an in-his-prime Sami Salo, with his big strong body, game smarts & killer right-handed slap shot,..back upon their blue-line again, too. :wub:

willie got out coached tonight, lost the match up battle all night, overplayed prust, underplayed virtannen and beartschi

yep totally hook line an sinker

I am beginning to see he may an is not the coach of transition he does not seem that smart on the fly or is it just me.to bad we could not swap out minor league coach to him an move him down to Utica,very very frustrating game to watch an the oilers to boot.

My thoughts after tonight's game:

Had a feeling the Canucks would start out slow when the O Canada singers nearly put me to sleep- who decided to put that performance on the ice before a hockey game? Good singers, just very un-inspiring and too melo

I get the feeling Willie doesn't want the youngsters on the team, and is being forced, either by the play of said youngsters and management- clear he doesn't want to be using them to their full potential. And I think his lack of faith is carrying over to vets. I see times when younger guys aren't getting the puck in the neutral zone or every other defenceman on the team thinks they can skate a puck out like Hutton. Hutton should be the quarterback of the play when he's on the ice. doesn't hold the puck too long, gets it too the right guy at the right time- most times, I see some learning happening still..

I love the Sedins but the frustrate me as all %^&* when they make lazy plays thinking anything they do will work. Daniel's miss was total laziness- half *ss swinging his stick as he curled away from the net, coasting...remember Guance's goal off Vrbata's rebound- driving hard to the net and making sure the puck was going only one place. That is what Daniel should have done.

Tanev on the 3 on 3?? what? Why? I have said it before, the least offensive defenceman we have getting 3 on 3 time and Hutton- nope. Baertschi? Nope, Virtanen, Horvat? Nope

Our powerplay is 1 for what- 25? is it the sedins and Vrbata ( probably not) or Edler and Tanev ( where offensive opportunities go to die?) I have been saying this for soo long now, Tanev is a great defensive defenceman, but he is not an offensive guy. Miscast role. I would say to him, hey, this is who you are, keep doing that well and we'll figure the other part out with someone else.

Sedins seem like they are the only forwards worthy of 3 on 3 time in willie's eyes, or hansen and Vrbata to spell them for 20 seconds. May by the time the all star break happens, Willie will realize he has another line and play them more, and allow them to succeed like he did last year with horvat. Let's just hope by then it's not too late.

Game was there for the taking, just couldn't grab it.

At least they showed up at home this time but they still could have been more physical.

Hank and Dank need to learn how to check a little more. Nothing big but just enough to force a few more turnovers. I look forward to the vets getting back into a rhythm because right now it's painful to see the missed opportunities and errors (esp. Edler, Verby and the Twins).

This Transition Team has no identity right now. Help me out, how would you describe the Nucks' style this year? I am at a loss.

I have to agree with the WD criticism. He is NOT managing his bench at all. Absolute poor effort through these 6 games. Granted he doesn't know what he has, so why has he not tried anything different since day 1 of the season? All I am seeing shift after shift is Line 1, go. Line 2, go. Line 3, go. Line , go. How cute. Reminds me of my minor hockey days in PeeWee. The coach gave us all "equal ice time" because it is "Just for fun". Sorry WD, this isn't Minor Hockey, this is the NHL. Adjust. Playing Prust or Dorsett (no knock on them, they've been great), but second line? That's laughable. This is not the AHL Willie, it's not going to work. Scratching Baertschi is one thing, but benching him in the third after he played a great through 40 mins of hockey, and got an assist on our only goal of the game is down right awful. I don't know if this guy has any issues with his players off the ice, but if he simply doesn't trust his own players, he's not cut out to be in the NHL. Sorry to say.

Hope he can get his act together, because right now, any of us even here on CDC can coach this team like Willie. Simply go through 4 lines over and over again.

Don't do drugs kids.

They were both top 25 in scoring last year...

30X3=60... 60 players are technically first line players... sure say Buff etc didn't have legit first lines but the sedins are in the top half of that. So looking at numbers. You're dead wrong. Also look at what others have to say about them around the league. They are also still our best players.

Edit: I realize he is probably trolling and I shouldn't respond but I can't help it

Haha, when you try to prove your point but severely f*ck up the simplest math formula erases all your credibility.

So defending the twins in OT, what do you do?

Form a tight triangle near your net. Allow them to over-pass, & set up a perimeter shot. When they've been out there for about 35~40 seconds, aggressively try to make them turn it over. By then, they're too gassed(showing their age) to get back.

For Van, it's high-risk hope, likely with diminishing returns. In 4 on 4 you could take your chances, with 2 others(hopefully skaters) to cover their lame back-check.

With 3 on 3, seems speed will always rule.

I don't like the Coilers, but over the next decade +, their fans will see their share of nice OT tallies.

Our entire coaching staff is inexperienced. I don't have a problem with them so far, but JB sit by and watch WD run the plugs out for offensive face off after offensive face off at the end of a game. I get that Jake,Sven and Canner haven't 'earned' their stripes yet but they also haven't let you down and you are playing the sh!t out of Hutton.

Let the kids loose.

My thoughts after tonight's game:

Had a feeling the Canucks would start out slow when the O Canada singers nearly put me to sleep- who decided to put that performance on the ice before a hockey game? Good singers, just very un-inspiring and too melo

I get the feeling Willie doesn't want the youngsters on the team, and is being forced, either by the play of said youngsters and management- clear he doesn't want to be using them to their full potential. And I think his lack of faith is carrying over to vets. I see times when younger guys aren't getting the puck in the neutral zone or every other defenceman on the team thinks they can skate a puck out like Hutton. Hutton should be the quarterback of the play when he's on the ice. doesn't hold the puck too long, gets it too the right guy at the right time- most times, I see some learning happening still..

I love the Sedins but the frustrate me as all %^&* when they make lazy plays thinking anything they do will work. Daniel's miss was total laziness- half *ss swinging his stick as he curled away from the net, coasting...remember Guance's goal off Vrbata's rebound- driving hard to the net and making sure the puck was going only one place. That is what Daniel should have done.

Tanev on the 3 on 3?? what? Why? I have said it before, the least offensive defenceman we have getting 3 on 3 time and Hutton- nope. Baertschi? Nope, Virtanen, Horvat? Nope

Our powerplay is 1 for what- 25? is it the sedins and Vrbata ( probably not) or Edler and Tanev ( where offensive opportunities go to die?) I have been saying this for soo long now, Tanev is a great defensive defenceman, but he is not an offensive guy. Miscast role. I would say to him, hey, this is who you are, keep doing that well and we'll figure the other part out with someone else.

Sedins seem like they are the only forwards worthy of 3 on 3 time in willie's eyes, or hansen and Vrbata to spell them for 20 seconds. May by the time the all star break happens, Willie will realize he has another line and play them more, and allow them to succeed like he did last year with horvat. Let's just hope by then it's not too late.

Well... on a positive-note with November fast approaching,..we know the military tribute bands will be comin',...and nobody bangs-off a peppier & more inspiring anthem than the military.

I hear what you're sayin',...and I think there's enough openness & dialogue going on between Trevor, JB & all of the members of the coaching staff & team mentors....that as the weeks tick along,..those kinds of insights & messages will be relayed and received.

WD is being a bit of a Tinker-bell,....he may find the magic after some tinkering with his line-ups, but at present he's just not quite as savy or as confident as a majority of the other coaches in this league on how to get his team there. WD is still on a learning curve of his own. Are we okay with that? And if so... for how long?

Archived