The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

On 11/19/2022 at 10:38 PM, UnkNuk said:

Good article from SI looking back at the Vancouver Grizzlies:

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/11/15/vancouver-grizzlies-daily-cover?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_5532340

The Long-Forgotten First Chapter of the Grizzlies

With one of the best young cores in the NBA, today’s team has a bright future. But the franchise’s past—a vexing, six-year stay in Vancouver—is just as intriguing.

"Stern would later admit to ESPN the Grizzlies marked one of his deepest regrets. “As it turned out,” he said, “I wish we hadn’t had the Vancouver experience. Great city—and we disappointed them, and we disappointed ourselves.”"

:( 

here we see the best center the vancouver grizzlies ever had, playing amongst the greats... i watched this game or one of them with MJ anyways and Big country got 30 points... we lost  that game, like most games but it was always fun to watch.jordan-big-country-reeves.jpg.48dfaea9c2e02832d29c5bb095133792.jpg

16 hours ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

here we see the best center the vancouver grizzlies ever had, playing amongst the greats... i watched this game or one of them with MJ anyways and Big country got 30 points... we lost  that game, like most games but it was always fun to watch.jordan-big-country-reeves.jpg.48dfaea9c2e02832d29c5bb095133792.jpg

Someone named Kat Jayme made a documentary about her search for Big Country years after the Vancouver Grizzlies ceased to exist.

It can be viewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMhM-8D-Q1o

Here's a preview:

• Like 1

Just now, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I heard that Kareem got all his points with only one 3 pointer.  Puts into perspective just how difficult it really was to break the record. 

I’m not too sure when the NBA put in the 3 point line, but I think Kareem played most of his career before they did.  So he developed his game when there was no three point line. The game was lower scoring too. And big men were way more important than now. James is pretty fabulous though.  Not just the points, but he does everything extremely well.  Maybe not better than Jordan, or Russell, but darned close.  

3 hours ago, Russ said:

Dang Lakers going in now!

Lol off to Utah (then buyout) you go :P
Savvy move for LA (wonder if they could revive D-Lo's career the way GSW revived Wiggins' when the Dubs traded him).

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

The Nets had lots of ambition to win the ring and failed in the end. They thought adding star players like Harden, Durant and Irving to the team would fetch them the ring. With the latest trades from Irving to the Mavs and Durant to the Suns all three super stars are gone. Sometimes it's enough to have 2 super stars on the team to win the ring. You don't have to have three of them on the same team. Personally I see only slim chances for KD to win another ring, because the Nuggets seem to be dominant in the West. If Jokic doesn't get injured and is sidelined for months I see the Nuggets advancing to the final (against the Celtics or Bucks?).

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol off to Utah (then buyout) you go :P
Savvy move for LA (wonder if they could revive D-Lo's career the way GSW revived Wiggins' when the Dubs traded him).

yup. L.A. did well in this 3-way trade with the T--wolves and Jazz. Smart move from L.A especially with the 1st round pick involved.

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

yup. L.A. did well in this 3-way trade with the T--wolves and Jazz. Smart move from L.A especially with the 1st round pick involved.

Amazing how LA only had to ditch one 1st rounder too in all of this.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

The Nets had lots of ambition to win the ring and failed in the end. They thought adding star players like Harden, Durant and Irving to the team would fetch them the ring. With the latest trades from Irving to the Mavs and Durant to the Suns all three super stars are gone. Sometimes it's enough to have 2 super stars on the team to win the ring. You don't have to have three of them on the same team. Personally I see only slim chances for KD to win another ring, because the Nuggets seem to be dominant in the West. If Jokic doesn't get injured and is sidelined for months I see the Nuggets advancing to the final (against the Celtics or Bucks?).

I barely ever watch the NBA but i found the nets as a fascinating experiment. They had a team that was bad, 19 wins, and good coaching (atkinson) and young talent got them to just under .500 and a playoff loss. Instead of building they took the shiny lure of KD (injury prone) and Irving (nutcase). They kept sending away young hungry defensive effort guys for lazy scorers (harden) and then they got rid of the coach and then tried a former player coach in nash and then sacked him. After dealing with irving they finally give up. I'm not sure if they would have become a boston type team but i suspected that irving and kd would lead to nowhere and now they start at the bottom with a pg who can't shoot.

A fascinating experiment. The clippers are similar but at least pg and kawhi can defend. 

• Vintage 1

D Lo to Lakers 

Kyrie to Mavs 

KD to Suns

Crowder to Bucks

Wiseman to Pistons

Westbrook to Jazz for buyout. lmao

No team is keeping their 2nd round picks for the decade. Lol.  Hopefully NHL trade deadline is this eventful.  Quite a few blockbusters changing the playoffs landscape.

Edited by Petey Castiglione
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Watching the Celtics Three Party is real fun. Regularly outscoring the opponents on the 3PT-FG is key for their success. Incredibly tough for any opponent to go toe-to-toe with the Celtics in this regard. In tonights game against the Grizzlies it was a collective effort with 8 players in the double digits.

image.png.f0339789b754f4179661ad0cba9beb6d.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...