The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jarmo Kekäläinen fielding offers for Ryan Johansen

Mathew Barzal

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd do one of Horvat or McCann, either of Hamhuis or Sbisa plus an additional prospect as a starting point. I'd tend to not do any early round picks this season (though I might consider a 2017).

RyJo is an RFA so, if I recall, I believe it's a good 3-4 years before we'd have any hope of signing him as a UFA. Minimum.

See, that is FAR more reasonable for our youth movement than what a lot are suggesting.  It would be a hard sell but losing Horvat for local boy RyJo is something most would consider without question

23 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I think you are over reacting and that your player evaluation is too high.

I really don't think so.  Look how our recent road trip went without Sbisa/Sutter.  Now imagine losing Horvat/McCaan/Sedin/Tanev/Hutton/Edler for long periods via injury or via trade permanently and only replacing with RyJo.

It isn't that my values are to high, it is that we don't have the current depth to stomach that kind of loss of man power while only acquiring a center in return

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So you anticipate us holding on to Higgins...for what reason?

Please reread my post, quoted as follows:   Higgins and Burrows are NOT gone at seasons end (unless traded).  Their contracts expire in 2017.

I simply point out that their contracts expire in 2017.

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I really don't think so.  Look how our recent road trip went without Sbisa/Sutter.  Now imagine losing Horvat/McCaan/Sedin/Tanev/Hutton/Edler for long periods via injury or via trade permanently and only replacing with RyJo.

It isn't that my values are to high, it is that we don't have the current depth to stomach that kind of loss of man power while only acquiring a center in return

Sedin, RyJo, Sutter, McCann/Horvat is pretty unreal C depth both now and moving forward.

Tanev's a non-starter without at least another RD coming back as our RD depth sucks. Tanev for Hamonic makes a little sense. Tanev+ for RyJo, makes none. Beyond that, I'd move literally any of our other D but if it's Edler, the + is going to be less and they're not getting either Horvat or McCann. They could have Cassels or Gaunce though.

If it's any of Hammer, Sbisa or Bartowski, we're fine for D depth as long as we make even a depth move to pick up a 5-8 guy (preferably a RD, even if not the more needed top 4) and we can always recall Pedan on the left.

10 minutes ago, singing chef said:

Please reread my post, quoted as follows:   Higgins and Burrows are NOT gone at seasons end (unless traded).  Their contracts expire in 2017.

I simply point out that their contracts expire in 2017.

Cheers.

Fair enough man.  I just don't see Higgins here for any reason other than nobody wants to take him.

We can't afford to do this deal due to the limited assets we have.

Horvat+ deal, you can scrap that. McCann+ possible, but wouldn't make sense for us assuming the '+' would be something if significant value.

Best we can do are our secondary assets (the Gaunce's, Shinkaruk's, Cassel's) and a 1st or whatever but no way CBJ accepts that since there will be other teams offering better primary assets. 

...can't afford Johansen as it would deplete our young promising assets. Only hope we have really is to wait and see if he hits FA in 2017 or if management really wants him, trades McCann+...which would be costly and go against what they've built.

58 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

We can't afford to do this deal due to the limited assets we have.

Horvat+ deal, you can scrap that. McCann+ possible, but wouldn't make sense for us assuming the '+' would be something if significant value.

Best we can do are our secondary assets (the Gaunce's, Shinkaruk's, Cassel's) and a 1st or whatever but no way CBJ accepts that since there will be other teams offering better primary assets. 

...can't afford Johansen as it would deplete our young promising assets. Only hope we have really is to wait and see if he hits FA in 2017 or if management really wants him, trades McCann+...which would be costly and go against what they've built.

The one thing missing in almost all of these proposals not including Edler...is the cap.  We both need cap space and without moving Edler/Vrbata or the like we cannot afford his cap hit can we?

Just now, Warhippy said:

The one thing missing in almost all of these proposals not including Edler...is the cap.  We both need cap space and without moving Edler/Vrbata or the like we cannot afford his cap hit can we?

Would be one of Hamhuis/Vrbata. Edler is going nowhere. But then again I'm 100% sure we're not getting Johanson for the reasons stated prior. 

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Either of Hamhuis or Sbisa plus one of Horvat/McCann would do it.

We might have to take back a ~league min guy or retain a bit of salary to make it work for them depending on which guys go.

I can't see Hammer getting traded for anything other than futures unless he agrees to a contract extension as part of trade negotiations, like Juice did. If so, I think his trade value goes up considerably. CBJ might be interested at that point if Hammer is as well. 

I think Boeser, as much as I'd be loath to move him, would be of great interest to Columbus. As a mid-west guy he would be a good fit for them and easily marketable in the coming years. I can imagine him as a U.S. national player for years to come.  

So....I think an extended Hamhuis, Boeser, Higgins and a minor addition might actually be fairly close to possible to address CBJ's concerns. There are other teams that could give more value in futures without taking away from their roster, for sure, like an Arizona (Perlini, Samuelsson, Dvorak, etc) but few could help out the roster this year as well. 

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

aaannnndddd.......bottom feeder for the next 10 years

And how's is that

Vrbata cap is off the canucks

Johansen > horvat and virtanen

2016 1st is top 5 protected (canucks can draft Matthews or chychrun still if they get top 5oa pick)

Canucks have at centre

H sedin (Matthews?)

Johansen

Sutter/ Mccann

Plus signing free agents like lucic. I say future looks good even when sedins retire.

16 minutes ago, Bingo Chili said:

Bring him home

It would take horvat ++ so:

Horvat

Virtanen

Vrbata

2016 1st (top 5 protected)

.....not a chance in hell I do that trade?! 9th overall TWF that has 50-60 point potential, 6th overall PWF that has 20-30 goal potential, a top 10 pick and a 30 goal scoring veteran?! Yikes... I'll pass thanks. 

Can't see us being able to make this happen. I think the Seguin trade would be a good reference as to what Johansen's value would be. 

If I were Jarmo, I'd be calling Colorado about a RyJo/Duchene swap, if they are indeed looking for a C in return. No way Vancouver can match what other teams are offering.

Would be nice to see happen but we would have to makes moves first to make it happen.

Clb is doing this deal partially for cap reasons so they probably want young players on ELC's back. IMO we will have to deal Vrbata + one other to different teams to make the cap work.

Then we would go:
Horvat/McCaan, Hamhuis, and return from Vrbata and the other vet

for 

Johansen and a small cap dump

I would do this deal but probably nothing more.

This isn't the move for the Canucks right now. If they were a player or two away from the cup I'd say for sure. The reality is the team needs more good young players. Not one high priced one. If they could get him (or Duchesne or Hamonic) without mortgaging the future I'd say make it happen. I'd rather look to deal with clubs who need immediate help (meaning they are closer to the cup) as they'll be more inclined to send youth (players or picks) Vancouvers way. 

Archived