The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ducks 4, Vancouver 0

TheRussianRocket.

I would suggest that we were doing pretty decently until injuries set in. We lost a lot of one goal, last minute, OT games but were in most games every night... so it was pretty much a depth/detail issue (Rookies and Hamhuis/webber poor play) IMHO now without Sutter, then Prust for a bit (who had been playing very good in his role) and then Sutton, our depth was exposed a bit and now we are trending out of the playoff hunt... Added in a stale Higgins to boot... Not the Coach imho. Personnel issue. 

2 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

If anyone will be fired it'll be TL and JB first (JB may step aside and be head of scouting). The roster is a mess and the direction of thinking they are a playoff team is a disaster. Going the route of the 2000 era Flames (kept Kipper/Iginla, etc way too long).

Let's look at the D:

Sbisa - why on earth give this guy a contract? Gives the puck away every game with an odd hit but soft otherwise

Hamhuis - on the decline since 2012. Now he won't even fetch a 1st. Contributes nothing offensively

Hutton - potential but is rushed in since the team has no young D prospects

Weber - small, soft and terrible defensively

Tanev - soft

Edler - inconsistent

Then look at the contracts dished to Prust/Dorsett/Miller on top of aged vets like Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, etc. The Sedins have been the only bright spots but they yet again for the past 12 years have to hold the fort on the offense which isn't the roadmap to success.  It's so clear with their play this year and the fizzle in the playoffs to sell off vets, draft some talented players, sign some key UFA's to bolster the team and REBUILD your lineup instead of bandaid it year after year.

JB has committed to the transition this year.  He didn’t go out and sign 3 line players (Glencross) to fill up roster spots. He also let players not part of the long term plans walk (Richardson, Matthias).  He’s slowly piece by piece removing the NTC that he was left when he took over.

Yes our defense needs help, but by the end of this year JB will have changed 3 D roster spots since taking over and it wouldn’t surprise me if next year only Tanev, Hutton and Sbisa remain.  Sbisa has been improving since we got him, and right now he’s the only player that throws his weight around on this team.    

In two years’ time canucks will likely only have 4 players left in its roster from the 2011 cup run.  Our average age will be under 25 and the prospect we’ve been stockpiling up have been making big strides in the right direction to become the next future core of the canucks.

JB has set this team up for a perfect transition.  It’s a good mix of vets and youth.  The problem right now seems to be the coach.  WD hasn’t really bought into the transition mentality. He’s more focused on what’s best for the canucks 2015 season than the canucks 2018 season.  And honestly what else should you expect from him, you can’t really blame him as his job and lively hood is on the line, of course he’s more concerned about the now.

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Accommodate?  You mean have them rid the pine watching higgins, Dorsett and Vbrata give weak efforts.  This is a "transition" year not the aging vets play out the remainder of their contract.  I'm sorry I want something to look back on this season and say we accomplished something,  Prospect development. 

I can’t say for everyone but my opinion isn’t completely based on the poor start this team has had this season,  It’s a combination of things, but mostly how WD uses the assets on the team, and I’m not giving up on him… yet.  I’ll give him the rest of the year and see if he starts to buy into an actual transition.

The problem with saying it’s a transition year is you actually have to play the rookies.  You put them out in situations and live with mistakes.  You give them regular ice time(even in the 3rd),  If it ends up costing you the game, you deal with it, teach them in video and practice what to do better and move on to the next game in hopes that they learn and grow as players.  That’s what a transition is.

Not putting the kids on the bench and in the stands watching Higgins, Vbrata, Prust and Dorsett play 15+ minutes per game accomplishing nothing.  If we want call it a transition year.  Let’s play it like a transition year, in hopes that next year our youth is that much better for the “in game” experiences they got.   

It also shouldn’t be concerning about the amount of coaching changes that we are going through either.  When teams don’t make the post season they often have high turnover in coaching jobs,  Last year 7 teams made coaching changes.

PS only the stupid people can't realized that coaches have shelf lives with teams and AV's had run out with us.  He needed to go, but that doesn't mean he is a bad coach just needed a fresh start.  

I DISAGREE with your last paragraph.

what happened first, AV went stale or GMMG signed 1/3 of the team to NTCs or immovable contracts, (Boot n Ballard)?

I see the meatball brigade is out in full force.

Are most of the posters here first year fans? For the past decade, this team has tripped over the starting gate playing uninspired hockey through December. It used to be blamed on Luongo being a slow starter because the fans needed a scapegoat. Except it's obvious now that the whole team is a bunch of slow starters.

Like usual, let's wait until the end of January to see what happens but I certainly won't be firing another coach any time soon.

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

I DISAGREE with your last paragraph.

what happened first, AV went stale or GMMG signed 1/3 of the team to NTCs or immovable contracts, (Boot n Ballard)?

AV went stale.  Just like Sutter did in Calgary,  like Boudreau did in Washington, like Ruff did in Buffalo, like Trotz did in Nashville, like Bylsma in Pits, Like McLellan did in SJ ….It happens

“Every coach has a shelf life. That day comes for every coach. It’s like if you have a friend who lives near the airport, he invites you over for a cookout, you say to him, ‘How can you stand the noise?’ And he says, ‘What noise?’ You get used to it. At some point the players tune out the coach.” — Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, on firing coach Ron Wilson

Julien is on his 9th season as the bruins head coach and he appears to be on his last legs.  He’s has the longest current tenure.

4 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Remember that management was claiming this was a playoff bound team. Remember some horsecrap about a winning environment?

Did you really expect them to say something along the lines of...'yeah, this season is going to be a wash so don't expect much'...obviously they are going to say the 'right' things...looking at our roster did anyone really expect us to be where we are today? Only reason we're not sitting next to Edmonton is because the others teams in our div are playing like crap.

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

AV went stale.  Just like Sutter did in Calgary,  like Boudreau did in Washington, like Ruff did in Buffalo, like Trotz did in Nashville, like Bylsma in Pits, Like McLellan did in SJ ….It happens

“Every coach has a shelf life. That day comes for every coach. It’s like if you have a friend who lives near the airport, he invites you over for a cookout, you say to him, ‘How can you stand the noise?’ And he says, ‘What noise?’ You get used to it. At some point the players tune out the coach.” — Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, on firing coach Ron Wilson

Julien is on his 9th season as the bruins head coach and he appears to be on his last legs.  He’s has the longest current tenure.

Yes, every coach goes stale.

one_boman01.jpg

regards,

G.

13 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Did you really expect them to say something along the lines of...'yeah, this season is going to be a wash so don't expect much'...obviously they are going to say the 'right' things...looking at our roster did anyone really expect us to be where we are today? Only reason we're not sitting next to Edmonton is because the others teams in our div are playing like crap.

no, but a little bit of realistic honesty would be nice.

Funny how the same guys who were screaming for all the young guys to be kept are now whining because we are losing.   It's going to take some time to turn this very average group into a contender, and we're going to have some rough patches.    Live with them.  Celebrate the odd great game or two we play, and cringe when we have a stinker like last night.   Get rid of the no trade contracts as they come up, keep the guys who fit into the long term vision for the team, and wait patiently for the young players to develop.  Keep veterans with passion and commitment who can model what we need, and dump the floaters -- for nothing, if necessary, because they aren't helping the team.   When we make a mistake (e.g. Baertchi), admit it and move on.   You can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop!    Find some better eggs!

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah your right AV is in the same level of greatness as Scotty bowman.....

but you had a good day though.

I think the point he was making is not every coach goes stale. Burke's statement if arguably false.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I think the point he was making is not every coach goes stale. Burke's statement if arguably false.

Burke's statement was a generalization, in life there's always an exception or abnormality.  Only a child or troll would have troubles grasping that. 

So what it is, was av in that same level of exception, as the greatest coach of all time? No.... than no need for strawman comments

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Burke's statement was a generalization, in life there's always an exception or abnormality.  Only a child or troll would have troubles grasping that. 

So what it is, was av in that same level of exception, as the greatest coach of all time? No.... than no need for strawman comments

Well perhaps if you didn't use the term "stupid" to make it sound like you know everything and people against you don't, your post would sound better. Perhaps a little less "elitist".

lmm's point was that it was a combination of things happen. Blaming it on the coach entirely, stale or not, would be false.

14 hours ago, Adamth said:

Can we please try a new defense  SET UP -   Hammer TO THE MINORS..  get Beiga BACK.  kinda miss Huttons - Edler

I'm disappointed in the defense veterans , Edler , Weber have been horrible along with Higgins up front .

I suppose this is a bit symptomatic of a fan base that doesn't have the patience to rebuild/retool. And likely why management is trying the impossible of keeping the team "competitive" while doing so. It is going to be 2-3 years before the team is on top again. In the meantime, enjoy watching the emerging players develop while still being treated to enough Sedinery to be exciting at times. Expecting this team to be highly competitive and trying to solve its shortcomings can only lead to frustration and disappointment.

Archived