The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Stars 4, Canucks 2

TheRussianRocket.

8 hours ago, singing chef said:

3 things:

1.  I think both Dorsett & Prust missed the real point of the message Benning was sending about team toughness.  Their "staged" fights this game were totally meaningless;  what was the point  ?  Save the "toughness" for when a team-mate is being pushed around, and respond to that. 

Exactly. Each guy only has so many fights in them per season. Use them to back up teammates, not interrupt the game for a sideshow (though both guys did well in the fights at least).

9 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Get the heck outta here with Edmonton model BS. I didn't know wanting a good young player in the draft is Edmonton model. GTFO.

the love of the edmonton model is those that see any positive in the canucks losing in terms of getting a higher pick. you do not build a successful team by losing so that you can get a higher pick, edmonton has clearly proven that. So those that say, Yayyy, we lost, we want Chycrum! are totaly misguided in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Exactly. Each guy only has so many fights in them per season. Use them to back up teammates, not interrupt the game for a sideshow (though both guys did well in the fights at least).

I agree that they only have so many figths in them each year. It's tough to beat up guys with your face like Dorsett does and it's tough to hang on to a sweater as tightly as Prust does.

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I actually thought it was an entertaining game and I liked the urgency and heart the Canucks played with for a good portion of the game.  Dallas is just a much better team.

How good was Dallas when Jim Nill arrived a few years ago? Key move was getting Seguin from the Bruins. I guess he will always owe  JB for that one. I know, JB was tired of having to babysit Seguin.

Just now, coastal1 said:

How good was Dallas when Jim Nill arrived a few years ago? Key move was getting Seguin from the Bruins. I guess he will always owe  JB for that one. I know, JB was tired of having to babysit Seguin.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here?  Most teams that are bad for a while cycle and become very good teams.  The Canucks will be a good team again sometime in the not so distant future as well.

10 hours ago, Ginu said:

Well, fan's are frustrated for sure but what about the players???  I think we have been breaking every single bad record over the past two years or so. 

I'm afraid eventually players will just get frustrated losing so much and will just ask for a trade... 

And that's fine, just so long as the right ones are traded.

People complaining about Miller letting in the winner? If it wasn't for him and making several Grade A+ stops, this game would have been a total disaster.

The defense is a big problem for this team. They let Sharp skate right up the middle and snap a quick one. I won't fault Miller for that goal, as the Stars should have been up 5-2 by that point already. If the defense improves, the offense will be able to do their job properly and not have to rely on the Sedins.

11 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Big props to Prust for fighting Oleksiak. That guy is a freaking giant and can seriously wreck people in fights. 

Yea big props for fighting him after he was running our team and taking liberties, awesome team guy. Oh wait , he wasnt , it was a stupid staged fight . Come to think of it all of Prust's fights are stupid staged fights. He's been completely opposite of what he was in Montreal in terms of sticking up for teammates . Guess he likes the Canadiens players more..

15 minutes ago, Robongo said:

Yea big props for fighting him after he was running our team and taking liberties, awesome team guy. Oh wait , he wasnt , it was a stupid staged fight . Come to think of it all of Prust's fights are stupid staged fights. He's been completely opposite of what he was in Montreal in terms of sticking up for teammates . Guess he likes the Canadiens players more..

I am not a fan of staged fights either but it could be argued they are pre-emptive. Better to set the tone and let the opposition know we are ready to rumble before they start running around.

Once step closer to a high draft pick. Man, am I happy I didnt spend $125 to witness that in person.

I used to get really angry when the Canucks would lose, and if there was a losing streak, I'd become very negative and feel like the sky was falling. Last night when Edler scored the 1st goal early, I didn't even flinch. I just felt they would end up losing in the end anyway. 0-9 against DAL does that. Surprisingly. I didn't get upset in the least when Dallas tied it up, then went in front. In fact, I laughed. It was a sad, OMG that was terrible kind of laugh. This is not a good team, let alone a playoff team. I don`t blame the goaltending for the losses. I don`t blame the top line either. The rest of the team is struggling big time and they don`t appear desperate enough to win games. Just going through the motions. Sure, there`s a little spark once the opposition goes ahead, but that fizzles out quick. Guess what Canucks, you need to shoot to score. Enough with the fancy passes. I`m no longer impressed by that. I am impressed when a player has the balls to take some risk and drive the net or let go a shot that actually hits the net. I`m at the point now where I expect the Canucks to lose more often than not. We just don`t have a good enough team. It`s not Bennings fault. He has tried to make a move but other teams aren`t willing. He has done what he said he was going to do. Make this team younger and grittier. Other teams are probably trying to low ball him or wanting a top prospect, smelling his desperation. Good on Benning for sticking to his guns and not making a panic move just to appease the fans. He is trying to build a future great team. It will take time. It`s not Willie`s fault. He`s scrambling with the lines, because nothing is working (other than the top line) and he needs to try every possible option to get a win. It doesnt help having all of the injuries we do. The other night EDM beat DAL in the shootout and I actually got a little happy. I hope the Oilers do well this year. Well enough to finish 9th in the conference anyway. I would hate for them to have a top 3 pick again, but I would surely welcome the Canucks getting a top 3 draft pick next year. 

I have not posted in a long time as I wanted to give TL, JB and WD a chance. My biggest concern in the past was Mike Gillis and the damage he did to the team (which we are still paying for).

- As many have said, the Sedins continue to amaze, great players and great people. I am torn as I love watching them but I wish they could win a cup, which they won't do with us. I also love Hansen, guy brings it every night.

- Signing Prust was a bad move. He adds nothing to team and apparently he does not understand his role. He is supposed to be a banger and protect the talent on the team. Somehow, he seems to think he is some kind of star and he needs to realize that the will NEVER be anything more than a marginal NHL 4th liner. Same goes for Dorsett.  Dump them both.

- Weber is not even an AHL quality player and re-signing him was a huge mistake. he is a pylon and a useless player. Get Sbisa back, keep Biega and waive Weber.

- Burrows is past his best before date. I love what he has done for us in the past but to be honest he is a non factor nowadays.

- I can live with Bart but only because we have no choice. Good speed but no finish or defensive skill.

- Hamuis is tired and making mistakes because of it. I don't think his heart and legs are in it anymore and he has to be moved. Notice how well he played in the World Hockey Championships when he is on a better team and asked to do less? His value is dropping daily and we won't get much for him now but he can be traded for a reasonable return.

- Willie is an awful coach. Poor starting line selections, poor game management. He gets screwed on calls and stands there instead of letting the refs know they messed up. Ever watch the GOOD coaches manage the refs? Anyone who puts out Weber late in the game is clueless, not to mention pairing Weber with Hamuis. Markstrom plays a great game and gets rewarded by taking his place on the bench.

- Vrbata needs to be moved, we won't keep him anyway so we may as well get what we can.

- Miller has not been our problem but he has not been the solution either. He makes great saves in a game only to let in soft goals so frankly he has been only average. In short, not worth the money we are tying up on him. We should have dumped Miller when we had a chance.

- I am ok with the kids on the team, they will be ok....with good coaching.

- Funny how Baer keeps getting himself in the doghouse with Willie yet Weber and Hamius can mess up game after game and Prust and Dorsett skate around being useless. None of them get taken out of the lineup yet Baer gets the sit in the press box.

- Unlike many, I am ok with Edler. He plays tough and yes he makes mistakes but that is part of the deal with him. I would bet may teams would like to take him off our hands. He steps up in big games but he also can get lazy when games don't matter and right now...they don't seem to matter.

-All in all its becoming clear that TL and JB may not be the "hockey people" we all though they were and every game Weber plays is proof of that along with every day that goes by that Hamuis, Miller, Prust, Dorsett, Vrbata and Burrows are not moved from the team.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure what you are getting at here?  Most teams that are bad for a while cycle and become very good teams.  The Canucks will be a good team again sometime in the not so distant future as well.

Canucks played a very deep team last night and it showed. Expectations of how well the Canucks do should be measured against the talent they put on the ice. Compare the Canuck roster against other NHL teams and in most cases they come up short.

Your thought that the Canucks will be better in the not to distant future is IMHO a tad optimistic. The Twins are leading the offense this season and will probably play another 2 seasons, if lucky 3. Granted Sutter is injured but as is there is no where close to a 2nd line on this club. Given the Twins time line I think it is a stretch to think that Horvat, Sutter and McCann can progress far enough to be considered 1C or even 2C centers. If we are lucky maybe.

My whole point is that the Canucks are more likely to drop lower before their turn around. I mentioned the forwards but I consider the d-core the weakest part of the team. IMO the Canucks do not have a 1D or 2D quality dman.

As a long term Canuck fan I am in the 'tank' section. It should have been done after 2012 but was not. Tanking does not mean moving every vet it means moving some vets for picks and prospects. It means there can be no player on the roster that is not moveable.   

Archived