The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Stars 4, Canucks 2

TheRussianRocket.

19 minutes ago, JamesB said:

This is hard on Hammer. He did get beaten 1-on-1 on the first goal by a bigger, stronger, and faster player. That is what happens when you play against bigger, faster, stronger and better players. And right now Dallas is bigger, stronger, faster, and better than the Canucks.

I think the problem is the basic talent level. Miller is no better than an average NHL goalies. The D is below average. The first line is very good but the other three lines are very weak and look like they have forgetting what scoring means.

Weber, Bartkowski, Biega, Kenins, Cracknell, Baertschi, and Prust are all borderline NHL players at best and that is too many boderline players in the line-up. They are trying hard but just do not have enough talent for a contending team.

Add in the injuries and the struggles of Horvat and Vrby (both of whom are really struggling) and the team just does not have enough ability. As younger players improve with time and injured guys come back the team will improve but right now getting wins against good teams is going to be tough.

No doubt the Stars are better than the Canucks,but all the games were close (the first two could have gone either way..those are GM Jim Nill's words)...The Stars are maybe 5% better than the Canucks,that's not much,but it is the difference between winning and losing.

I dont agree on all of your player assessments....Bartkowski is a #7 d-man,and was picked up for 1.75m per season..I think that's pretty good value..A lot of the fans crapping on him is unwarranted...He's had some really solid games.

Baertschi....not quite sure how you can say he doesn't have enough talent..he's obviously having issues adjusting to the NHL game,..He's still a work in progress...There's still a lot of upside in him.

The rest,...Weber,Biega,Cracknell and Prust (although he does have other intangible value)..would not be missed if they were not here next year.

Damn that sucked... Teams not playing well recently. Sedins are literally performing like their peak and the secondary has completely disappeared. 

I had high offensive hopes for our 2nd 3rd and 4rh lines... Hope they turn it around. 

8 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Big props to Prust for fighting Oleksiak. That guy is a freaking giant and can seriously wreck people in fights. 

What was the point, totally useless and out of context in the game, totally staged.  That's not what we need from him.  We need him to stand up and provide pushback, especially when our rookies are being picked on by vets.  Where was he when we played the Ducks, . . . . a ghost.

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Damn that sucked... Teams not playing well recently. Sedins are literally performing like their peak and the secondary has completely disappeared. 

I had high offensive hopes for our 2nd 3rd and 4rh lines... Hope they turn it around. 

Do you believe in the power of prayer, brother apollo? 

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

No doubt the Stars are better than the Canucks,but all the games were close (the first two could have gone either way..those are GM Jim Nill's words)...The Stars are maybe 5% better than the Canucks,that's not much,but it is the difference between winning and losing.

I dont agree on all of your player assessments....Bartkowski is a #7 d-man,and was picked up for 1.75m per season..I think that's pretty good value..A lot of the fans crapping on him is unwarranted...He's had some really solid games.

Baertschi....not quite sure how you can say he doesn't have enough talent..he's obviously having issues adjusting to the NHL game,..He's still a work in progress...There's still a lot of upside in him.

The rest,...Weber,Biega,Cracknell and Prust (although he does have other intangible value)..would not be missed if they were not here next year.

I don't think we disagree. As you say, Bartkowski is a #7 D-man. This means he is marginal. Tonight the Canucks had 3 Ds who, in an ideal world, would all be #7 depth guys (Biega, Bartkowski, and Weber). I have nothing against those guys as individuals and I agree that none of them are being paid a lot. They are trying hard and making the most of their talent. But if that is our D going forward we are not going to contend. (Of course the D will be better when Hutton and Sbisa come back.)

As for Baertschi, he has skill -- he can skate, pass, stickhandle and shoot -- the kind of guy who lights things up in junior and does well in the minors. But he not yet shown NHL-level talent. I agree his ceiling might be a lot higher than where he is right now. I certainly hope that is how things go. But obviously the concern is that he is another guy like Vey, Schroeder, etc. There are a lot of guys like that in the AHL. At his age he needs to show significant progress this year.

59 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I think #1defense is way more valuable in today's nhl than a #1 center. Plus we have like 0 top potential d men in our system minus Hutton who looks like he could be a top 2 d-man. 

Exactly. Create that top pairing and everything else is just gravy

outcome is not really a surprise

dallas is the better team now

canucks have so much youth in the line up

that they lack the necessary experience to be a playoff contender

things might still change if the youth progresses

but it is a bit of a pipe dream that they will all develop nicely over the next 3 months

the canucks need another experienced player now that sutter is out indefinitely

they also have become very unsettled in their defensive team game as well

My thoughts after seeing the game in person:

Sedins/Hansen, obviously our best line, they did their best.

Horvat is frustrated, but gives it his all nonetheless, appreciate the effort, he'll be back soon.

Vrbata and Burrows have dissapeared. Its actually quite saddedning to watch :(

Kenins had a solid game, proved he belongs.

McCann is an elite talent, you can definitely see hes going to be an awesome player one day, so glad we have him.

Baertschi was actually good imo. Had a bit more bite in his game and was around the net more. If he wasn't playing with grinders he mightve foubd himself on the score sheet.

Prust, Cracknell, Dorsett: Cracker played the best. Dorsett and Prust kind of seem useless, no offence. It seems as though all they do is stage fights every now and then, which are completely pointless, and swing no momentum or anything.

Edler: Guy wasbt terrible, but he wasnt playing like a top defencemen either. 

Hamhuis: Actually one of his better games imo. How could you play any better when Weber is your partner?

Bartkowski/Biega: Very solid. Our best pairing tonight.

Weber: Awful. Please no more, actually wanted to cry after the Sharp goal. Pure garbage.

Tanev: Just okay. Nothing to stand out, but I guess thats good with our D lol.

Miller: Did his best, gave us a chance. D is too bad for him to play any better.

Willie: Another failure. Shortens the bench after the hansen goal just to try and secure a point. Pathetic.

Hamhuis blows us the game this time. Every night a player is finding way to lose it by just not doing their job. It's a shame, but he's well past his prime and is no longer good enough for top-4 minutes.

I think we desperately need to try and radically change our defensive structure, or trade defencemen. Bartkowski is doing fantastically, Biega looks good out there, Weber was embarassed and cost us the GWG, Edler and Tanev had had miscommunications at time but are still decent top-4 defencemen.

Moving forward, we need to keep Edler, Tanev, Bartkowski, Hutton and Sbisa. That's it. There's 3 top-4 defencemen and 2 bottom pairing guys (Bartkowski and Sbisa have been brilliant together). All we realistically need is a stud right handed defenceman. Hamonic would fill that perfectly, so would Byfuglien or any other star UFA. It's not that hard Benning. Instead he's chasing offence? Our forwards are fine, we're not losing games 2-1 or 1-0. We're losing because our defence can't keep the puck out of our own net.

I'm losing a lot of faith in Benning, especially after his last comments, and not being able to realize how shoddy this defence is. When you give up twice as many shots as you take, that's the defence's fault for not getting it out, not the forwards fault. It's clear to see, every single game we give up more A-grade chances than just about any team in the league and our goalies are getting shelled. I said it in 2012 and I'll say it again - we're going NOWHERE if we don't put 100% into this defence. That's coming from a management, coaching and player stand-point. Everyone needs to pay more attention to defence. Start paying attention to our holes and we'll start to fill them, but until then it's just going to be a repitition over and over again of the same sorts of losses - defence blowing it and letting in a GWG.

JB has no position to better this team from. The farm is depleted with our picks playing up, the vets on this team are at their lowest values, draft picks are needed to build for the future. If a team needs scoring or defense we cant help them. 

It really just feels like a ride it out and hope for the best. IMO we need 2 secondary scorers and 2 stay at home, rugged dmen. 

Where is Hutton?

Benning is not in a position of strength to trade right now, you could gleam that out of his interview. I could see him trying to find a stop gap d playing center to stop the bleeding right now. He was also asked about trading for a d-man and said it was almost impossible because other teams are not giving them up unless for a ransom. He pretty well said this is the team we have and its up to them to figure it out right now through the injuries. People on here were screaming to play youth this year but with that combined with injuries this is the team you get.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hamhuis blows us the game this time. Every night a player is finding way to lose it by just not doing their job. It's a shame, but he's well past his prime and is no longer good enough for top-4 minutes.

I think we desperately need to try and radically change our defensive structure, or trade defencemen. Bartkowski is doing fantastically, Biega looks good out there, Weber was embarassed and cost us the GWG, Edler and Tanev had had miscommunications at time but are still decent top-4 defencemen.

Moving forward, we need to keep Edler, Tanev, Bartkowski, Hutton and Sbisa. That's it. There's 3 top-4 defencemen and 2 bottom pairing guys (Bartkowski and Sbisa have been brilliant together). All we realistically need is a stud right handed defenceman. Hamonic would fill that perfectly, so would Byfuglien or any other star UFA. It's not that hard Benning. Instead he's chasing offence? Our forwards are fine, we're not losing games 2-1 or 1-0. We're losing because our defence can't keep the puck out of our own net.

I'm losing a lot of faith in Benning, especially after his last comments, and not being able to realize how shoddy this defence is. When you give up twice as many shots as you take, that's the defence's fault for not getting it out, not the forwards fault. It's clear to see, every single game we give up more A-grade chances than just about any team in the league and our goalies are getting shelled. I said it in 2012 and I'll say it again - we're going NOWHERE if we don't put 100% into this defence. That's coming from a management, coaching and player stand-point. Everyone needs to pay more attention to defence. Start paying attention to our holes and we'll start to fill them, but until then it's just going to be a repitition over and over again of the same sorts of losses - defence blowing it and letting in a GWG.

How can you describe bartkowski and sbisa with the words: brilliant and fantastic?

sbisa has been a character guy and our only physical dman but prone to mistakes.

barts only saving grace is skating the puck to the offensive blue line where usually the play ends.

they are average dman with Bart being borderline bottom pair.

has it been so long since we've had talent on the back end that we as fans have forgotten what it looks like?

i think you need to watch non Canuck hockey more before you throw out those descriptive as applied to our d.

Archived