The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks): 12.13.15 | 4:00 PM PST - SNP

Brad Marchand

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

It almost looks to me like all the rookies have hit the wall ....I was kind of surprised that JB said that McCann might be heading to the WJC.....Is this JB conceding that he's sticking a fork in this season..?....or,maybe there's a trade in the works,and a veteran centre  could be on the way?

We don't want a veteran centre!  Just bring up Vey, and let us get even closer to Austin our Saviour.

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

It almost looks to me like all the rookies have hit the wall ....I was kind of surprised that JB said that McCann might be heading to the WJC.....Is this JB conceding that he's sticking a fork in this season..?....or,maybe there's a trade in the works,and a veteran centre  could be on the way?

He said himself he was looking for a center to fill in for Sutter.

That would allow Horvat to slot to the third line where he should be, and McCann could go to Finland.

15 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

No need to overanalyze the performance of this team so far. The fact is this team's roster isn't a playoff caliber roster. Most knowledgeable fans of this team and most experts have been saying so since the summer. 

As far as WD goes, a different coach may not make a huge difference this year but if it's the right coach he could make a difference what happens 5 or 7 years down the road. That is teaching the young kids structure, a good defensive game and proper postitioning and the right way to play the game.

For example look at what Babs is doing in TO. They are not calling up some prospects who are ready only because they want to get their systems right with the vets before exposing the kids. They want their kids playing the right way from day one because they know it will make a difference in year 5. But they won't call up the kids until they feel the vets are all playing their right way on the same page.

I even heard/read somewhere that they won't put Corrado in until he's fully grasped their systems and since Frankie wasn't there for pre season he'll take some time and the team will give him that time before putting him in the lineup. Gotta love that type of thinking and planning.

Right now that sense of direction and planning seems to be lacking in Vancouver.

Desjardins wasn't my first choice... I wanted Neidermayer to get hired (then possibly run a tank job to get McDavid). But Desjardins is a good coach. Gets his message across. Players respond well to him.

The Sedins are back and running again. Young players are getting a shot at the job. But lets take this conversation to another thread.

Back to the game though... I was not aware a hand pass should be illegal - tapping it into the goal with your hands or feet yes, but hand passes?

6 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

It's what JB has known all year, that this team isn't going to make the playoffs. You won't hear him say it until the fat lady sings because it's not good for business.

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It's what JB has known all year, that this team isn't going to make the playoffs. You won't hear him say it until the fat lady sings because it's not good for business.

He won't give up on the season.

I expect a trade to come soon. Something like Vrbata for Eller.

He'll pass up getting picks for getting a roster player.

45 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think it starts in our own end.  We can't get out of our own end.  Our Breakout sucks, and we have been terrible on the draws as well, so we spend the majority of the time chasing the puck..by the time we finally get into the offensive zone, the energy is gone.

I was being sarcastic. I agree with your assessment. To me it started with the Pittsburgh game. Other teams have been using the same tactics against us and Willie hasn't adjusted well enough. Plus we don't have the depth to roll 4 lines all game like we did when we were having success last season. I guess all we can do is watch and cringe.

2 minutes ago, VanNuck said:

Desjardins wasn't my first choice... I wanted Neidermayer to get hired (then possibly run a tank job to get McDavid). But Desjardins is a good coach. Gets his message across. Players respond well to him.

The Sedins are back and running again. Young players are getting a shot at the job. But lets take this conversation to another thread.

Back to the game though... I was not aware a hand pass should be illegal - tapping it into the goal with your hands or feet yes, but hand passes?

Not true, Henrik and WD have been on completely different pages last 2 losses. Infact Henrik publicly disagreed with WDs assessment after the BOS 4-0 loss and suggested alternatives. He even questioned WD calling a game in december a "must win" What Henrik suggested waswas more in line with what I"ve been saying, the defensive zone game and playing the game the right way need to improve. Henrik even came out and said it didn't matter if the team lost the next few games 2-1 or 1-0 as long as they played the game the right way on the D side. 

48 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Is is just me or is Desjardins just completely oblivious? 

If one reads Henrik's post game comments and Desjardins post game comments, there is a huge gap there. Personally I side with Henrik's opinion on the game. Willie is lost. 

Willie lives in his own world where Weber is a top 4 defenceman. 

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He said himself he was looking for a center to fill in for Sutter.

That would allow Horvat to slot to the third line where he should be, and McCann could go to Finland.

I would be very very very surprised if JB traded for a 2nd line C. I don't know how anyone could believe that. It would involve giving up one of the young kids or a high end pick and prospect. That's not happening. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

I would be very very very surprised if JB traded for a 2nd line C. I don't know how anyone could believe that. It would involve giving up one of the young kids or a high end pick and prospect. That's not happening. 

Who said anything about second line center? He said  a fill in player.

Someone along the lines of a Santorelli who can move to the second line for short periods of time.

Horvat on the 2nd line is destroying his confidence right now.

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Not true, Henrik and WD have been on completely different pages last 2 losses. Infact Henrik publicly disagreed with WDs assessment after the BOS 4-0 loss and suggested alternatives. He even questioned WD calling a game in december a "must win" What Henrik suggested waswas more in line with what I"ve been saying, the defensive zone game and playing the game the right way need to improve. Henrik even came out and said it didn't matter if the team lost the next few games 2-1 or 1-0 as long as they played the game the right way on the D side. 

Okay, good point there... but Henrik also is posting around a PPG this season, better numbers than he had under Torts. Not slowing down offensively.

1 hour ago, nom_de_plume said:

I didn't get a chance to see those Blunt... Coles notes. 

"We didn't have many quality scoring chances. We needed to capitalize when we could and we didn't" - H. Sedin

"I liked our effort, I thought we battled hard and had the desire to win tonight. We didn't convert on special teams" - Coach Desjardins

It looks to me like Henrik is calling out the effort (rightfully so, considering how well both him and Daniel are playing) and that the team needed to capitalize on chances but didn't, and Willie liked the effort in a 4-0 shutout.  I'm sorry, but he's delusional. 

I have faith in the captain. No faith in the coach. 

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

"We didn't have many quality scoring chances. We needed to capitalize when we could and we didn't" - H. Sedin

"I liked our effort, I thought we battled hard and had the desire to win tonight. We didn't convert on special teams" - Coach Desjardins

It looks to me like Henrik is calling out the effort (rightfully so, considering how well both him and Daniel are playing) and that the team needed to capitalize on chances but didn't, and Willie liked the effort in a 4-0 shutout.  I'm sorry, but he's delusional. 

I have faith in the captain. No faith in the coach. 

And can he bloody well take a pill to control those facial twitches?  Crap, it's no wonder he can't think straight, with the way his brain is getting continuously rattled.  

1 minute ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

People need to lighten up on Weber. He is what he is. He's the lowest paid (non ELC) player on the team.

He should be competing for a 3rd pairing slot and PP time....  but this team doesn't have anyone else except rookies.  

Do you really expect a top4 D/1st unit PP guy for $1.5m? Seems a little unrealistic, no?

John Moore makes 1.6 Million and plays 20+ minutes for NJD. So YES:P

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He won't give up on the season.

I expect a trade to come soon. Something like Vrbata for Eller.

He'll pass up getting picks for getting a roster player.

I don't know if either team benefits from that trade. Canucks would be paying Eller's backloaded contract at $4.5  per year (cap hit $3.5) for the next 2 years after this. That's too much for a 4th line C when everyone's healthy.  He could play wing as well I guess. I've always liked Eller, he has size which this team needs more of.

MTL needs goal scoring for a deep run, Vrbata is known to disappear in the playoffs. I'd take Eller over Vrbata in the playoffs. At Least Eller has size.

I think JB will just recall someone from Utica. Either Vey or Friesen will suffice for now. This team ain't going anywhere this season and everyone in management knows it. They just won't admit it publicly.

Archived