The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] - Canucks recall Grenier

hatedkid666

8 hours ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

Virt to the Giants after a trade with Calgary? I like Grenier a LOT more than Vey and Kenins and if you are gonna tank, play the kids.

.. At least back to major junior,.  It's a win-win situation.. Especially if Grenier gets a good stretch of games in.  Sounds like they might be buying some time in the JV situation to get him to a great training staff on a good team in the CHL,. and yes, the Giants staff have a great reputation.. I think Ian Gallagher is still training there, and Yogi Svejkovski skates them.

21 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Actually there is no hate brigade. Merely fans who want to see more youth with excitement and enthusiasm given the chance to play meaningful minutes, rather than seeing the same lifeless play from the likes of Higgins and Weber.

Whether or not you choose to believe it, there are veterans on this team that aren't contributing, and when building a winning environment, everyone needs to contribute.

Phillip, you MAY THINK these vets aren't contributing, I don't, because either Willie would intentionally be playing guys who can get him fired or there is no one better available. If it is the latter then I don't see how the coach or the team can do much about it.

I also think there IS a "hate brigade" and it's a damn strong one.

More youth as you put it is not and has not worked, that is why Jared is getting rest days and Jake is having reduced TOI, they are just not ready. That is not me saying they are busts, just that they are not top 3 and why JB would think he could cheat the system like that beats me. 

A prospect has to be very special, usually a franchise player, to stay in the NHL in his first season out of the minors.

40 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Phillip, you MAY THINK these vets aren't contributing, I don't, because either Willie would intentionally be playing guys who can get him fired or there is no one better available. If it is the latter then I don't see how the coach or the team can do much about it.

Edler, Higgins and Burrows are not contributing enough for players making the money they are. The Sedins and Hansen are otherworldly.

The fact that there may be no better players available doesn't negate the fact that quite a few of the vets are clearly coasting and putting in weak efforts. If the level of effort was consistent from the vets, the team would be faring better. 

I also think there IS a "hate brigade" and it's a damn strong one.

Fair enough. I don't see it that way. There is a definite reactive and negative portion of the fanbase, but even they can be reasoned with.

More youth as you put it is not and has not worked, that is why Jared is getting rest days and Jake is having reduced TOI, they are just not ready. That is not me saying they are busts, just that they are not top 3 and why JB would think he could cheat the system like that beats me. 

Horvat and Hutton are doing quite well, and Pedan (if given a proper chance) will make a definite impression. McCann has been excellent as well and frankly brings more to the table than Vey ever will.

I do agree that the team needs a mix of vets and youth, but the vets on this team (outside of Henrik, Daniel, and Jannik) need to set a better example for the kids.

A prospect has to be very special, usually a franchise player, to stay in the NHL in his first season out of the minors.

And even some "franchise" players take a little bit extra. To me, the biggest challenge facing young players coming into the NHL, is how lawless of a league it is. The scumbag brass and the DOPS are truly operating out of their own interests and not in line with the NHLPA. There is zero consistency in suspensions and fines and frankly, there are some players who should have been ousted from the league long ago, yet the NHL allows them to continue to play.

20 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Some of that I agree with. It is just hard for me to pick on a player's mistakes in a team game. 

My view is that for as long as a player wears the jersey I will try to support him and I believe in giving players a clean slate every game as opposed to what some do on here, where they seem to make it their evening's work to concentrate on one player they don't like in the hope of noticing some mistake.

I am not a big fan of Higgins, I never have been but I can see why coaches pick him. I also remember being p--sed off when he was given an NTC AND 4 years. However at the end of the day whether he stays or goes will be down to JB and the fact he is still here was down to Gillis.

JB traded for Vey and again, like Weber I can see why he would have an upside for some coaches and GMs.

I don't really like either as players but that is because they don't fit the mould I have in my mind for this team's rebuild - fast, physical, big but with skill. Pedan is an example of my ideal. Players like Biega and Baertschi get a pass for being a bit special but having said that I would not want to see the size/physical co-efficient lowered too much.

23 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Some of that I agree with. It is just hard for me to pick on a player's mistakes in a team game. 

My view is that for as long as a player wears the shirt I will try to support him and I believe in giving players a clean slate every game as opposed to what some do on here, where they seem to make it their evening's work to concentrate on one player they don't like in the hope of noticing some mistake.

I am not a big fan of Higgins, I never have been but I can see why coaches pick him. I also remember being p--sed off when he was given an NTC AND 4 years. However at the end of the day whether he stays or goes will be down to JB and the fact he is still here was down to Gillis.

JB traded for Vey and again, like Weber I can see why he would have an upside for some coaches and GMs.

I don't really like either as players but that is because they don't fit the mould I have in my mind for this team's rebuild - fast, physical, big but with skill. Pedan is an example of my ideal. Players like Biega and Baertschi get a pass for being a bit special but having said that I would not want to see the size/physical co-efficient lowered too much.

I get where you are coming from. In the end, this is a sport we watch because we choose to watch it. The Canucks don't owe us anything more than we owe them.

That being said, I do sometimes have issue with players that demonstrate chronic unwillingness to go that extra step to win or at least try to. Yannick Weber is a example of that type of player. His effort level is half of what the rest of the defense puts out. When he makes mistakes, more often than not, they end up as goals against. All the hard work put in by the other five Canucks on the ice is nullified by his uselessness.

Perfect example was last night. Horvat scored a nice greasy goal and got the monkey off his back, and not even two minutes later, Weber is lying on the ice, behind the net, and the momentum is quashed.

Weber was given a one year deal in good faith that he would contribute. He has been a sieve and a liability. Pure and simple. This team without him is a much better team because his weaknesses are removed from the equation.

Sbisa used to really draw the ire of the fanbase for his boneheaded plays in his own end. However, he began to work on those areas and increased his physicality. Now he is missed on the blueline severely. He made the conscious choice to improve, even though he had been essentially gifted a three year contract based on what, in my opinion, was pretty shoddy play last year.

Biega, Hutton, and Pedan come in and perform their roles and do their best. Weber doesn't.

As far as Higgins and Burrows, they have been great for the team, Burrows especially, but are now a couple of steps behind the game, and lack the IQ and skill of the Sedins, and the speed and tenacity of Hansen. I don't see a scenario in which keeping either player would benefit the team or the inclusion of youth. They both still demonstrate the ability to make a good play, Higgins' play to get the puck to Horvat was a shrewd play, but one that occurs far too seldom.

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎04 at 0:00 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

It's time that Willie starts cycling certain players out of the lineup to give the callups some ice time. The time to stop gifting ice time to lackluster contributors is now.

You think he would as the dipshyte loves everything about cycling,including the puck.Cycle,cycle,cycle,turn it over without a shot,line change.

I would really like management to give Grenier a 5 game or more look.  IMO he is better than Vey, a right hand shot and can fill in until Prust gets healthy.  While on this I would like to see Jordan Subban come up for 5 games or more.  He has been playing well in Utica - 5 G + 12 A's in 26 games and a right hand shot.  They could sit Weber for a few games.

5 minutes ago, Longtime Fan said:

I would really like management to give Grenier a 5 game or more look.  IMO he is better than Vey, a right hand shot and can fill in until Prust gets healthy.  While on this I would like to see Jordan Subban come up for 5 games or more.  He has been playing well in Utica - 5 G + 12 A's in 26 games and a right hand shot.  They could sit Weber for a few games.

I would love to see Subban get a shot with the Canucks this season. He possesses more raw talent than Weber (who doesn't) and would have the motivation to make a impression. Much rather see Jordan play a few meaningful games rather than watching Weber continue to screw up every game.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I would love to see Subban get a shot with the Canucks this season. He possesses more raw talent than Weber (who doesn't) and would have the motivation to make a impression. Much rather see Jordan play a few meaningful games rather than watching Weber continue to screw up every game.

Relentless aren't you...

Weber is a 5-6 Dman. He's playing out of position. If you want to blame anyone, blame Hamhuis for blowing a tire and then having to recover, putting himself in the line of one of the hardest shot which, subsequently, destroyed his face. Or maybe Sbisa for having an injury riddled season.

That is why Weber is playing out of position. Subban would certainly not fair better.

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Relentless aren't you...

Weber is a 5-6 Dman. He's playing out of position. If you want to blame anyone, blame Hamhuis for blowing a tire and then having to recover, putting himself in the line of one of the hardest shot which, subsequently, destroyed his face. Or maybe Sbisa for having an injury riddled season.

That is why Weber is playing out of position. Subban would certainly not fair better.

Weber is not playing out of position. He is a right hand shot and playing on that side.  His partner has been Ben Hutton.  Biega with Bartowski and Edler with Tanev.  Check it out.

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Relentless aren't you...

Regardless of Weber's position, he isn't getting it done. He's being outshone by a former AHL defensemen in Biega. Mind you Biega has made the absolute most of his opportunity, and is pretty much the same size and stature as Weber. The only difference is that Weber has far more NHL experience. Yet he's being outplayed by every blueliner on the roster, including a first year rookie in Hutton.

Try as you will to defend his poor play, it doesn't excuse it.

The only reason he's still on the roster is because the right side of the defense is as dry as a popcorn fart.

To say that Hamhuis is to blame for getting in the way of Boyle's shot is asinine. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't his intention to block the shot with his face. Thank goodness it wasn't a Chara or Shea shot, as that could have rendered Family Man Dan headless.

And Sbisa's injuries have been due to unlucky bounces and stepping up to fight Peluso.

Unless Subban is given a chance, you can't state with any certainty that he would fair better or worse. At the very least, he wouldn't be making ice angels behind the net while a rookie scores on Markstrom unattended.

11 minutes ago, Longtime Fan said:

Weber is not playing out of position. He is a right hand shot and playing on that side.  His partner has been Ben Hutton.  Biega with Bartowski and Edler with Tanev.  Check it out.

"Out of position" in Weber's case is vertical. Too many minutes. He's averaging T3D-T4D minutes. Around 19 minutes a game. That is about 9 minutes per game too many. His skills drastically diminish as the game goes on and as the games pile up.

11 minutes ago, Me_ said:

"Out of position" in Weber's case is vertical. Too many minutes. He's averaging T3D-T4D minutes. Around 19 minutes a game. That is about 19 minutes per game too many. His skills drastically diminish as the game goes on and as the games pile up.

Fixed.  If we're dressing multiple AHL callups and Bartkowski and he's still the biggest problem, he needs to stay out of the lineup regardless of the circumstances

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Dropped back down like a yoyo, poor Grenier.

disappointed.  Kid has worked hard and put up the numbers in Utica and deserves a chance.  Hate seeing him sent down again knowing we will have to watch Higgins tie up a roster spot. 

18 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

disappointed.  Kid has worked hard and put up the numbers in Utica and deserves a chance.  Hate seeing him sent down again knowing we will have to watch Higgins tie up a roster spot. 

What it is about guys like guys like Higgins, Burrows and Weber? WD keeps icing them like there's no choice or little trust in his younger up and comers.

The same feeling over comes the viewer when seeing these fellows iced. That feeling of zip is gonna happen. Higgins, even if he did score last night while facing the goalie down would only have stretched WD's faith in the guy.

Another guy, Vey. Some how he's back. Sorry he's no better than last season or any other time.

I believe JB knows what he's doing I keep wondering about WD though.

Archived