The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's War plan: How to proceed into the deadline, draft and free agency

Bert Diesel

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

What should happen, and what is going to happen are radically different things. 

Obviously you have some top secret information, or you are trying to add some kind of prophetic wisdom when answering to my quote below?

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Just my opinion, but even if we make the playoffs,. How far could this team seriously go? .. I think we get our 2 home games in the first round and thats it. The thought of us playing against any 1 team for a total of 7 games has us seriously smashed to bits.. especially against the size of any other team in the west.

This graceful slide we are on my be in our best interest..  It has been for any other club thats been in our position. .   Except the Oilers ;) 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

If the Canucks can somehow draft in the top 6, I wouldn't be upset to see JB be aggressive to get into that top 3 where any one of them gives you a franchise player, imo.  If they draft 5-6, and offer up their 1st and one of Horvat or McCaan to get a top 2 pick where they would get one of Pulijarvi or Mathews, guaranteed, who would fill the spot of either Jared or Bo.  Its a lot to give, but I think any one of the top 3 has the potential to carry a franchise inside of 5 years.  

If they end up picking 3-4, perhaps they pull a Burkie and try to get the #2 pick with Horvat +.  Imagine drafting both the big Finns?

Pipe dreams probably, but not impossible either.

You don't trade a Bo Horvat to move up a few spots unless it's for Mathews. 

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

I'd lose my mind.

entire fanbase would lose their minds. 

Don't think Benning will trade away picks, especially since he's admitted to us being "in transition" It would be the foolish thing to do, and the quickest way for him to get fired. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

entire fanbase would lose their minds. 

Don't think Benning will trade away picks, especially since he's admitted to us being "in transition" It would be the foolish thing to do, and the quickest way for him to get fired. 

I don't think he is either. He loves having picks. It's his way of putting his stamp on the team. He supposed to be a drafting guru let's use him to his strengths.

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

I don't think he is either. He loves having picks. It's his way of putting his stamp on the team. He supposed to be a drafting guru let's use him to his strengths.

Yeah. I mean, he's been reluctant to give away picks. The ones I remember him giving away picks are for Vey, Baer, Pedan. Am I missing anyone else? 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I mean, he's been reluctant to give away picks. The ones I remember him giving away picks are for Vey, Baer, Pedan. Am I missing anyone else? 

Those guys are all young though, whether you like them or not. As long as he doesn't try to acquire "playoff" help and starts throwing away picks. We want other GMs to do that though. It would be nice for someone to give up a low first for Vrbata. 

If the Canucks can somehow draft in the top 6, I wouldn't be upset to see JB be aggressive to get into that top 3 where any one of them gives you a franchise player, imo.  If they draft 5-6, and offer up their 1st and one of Horvat or McCaan to get a top 2 pick where they would get one of Pulijarvi or Mathews, guaranteed, who would fill the spot of either Jared or Bo.  Its a lot to give, but I think any one of the top 3 has the potential to carry a franchise inside of 5 years.  

If they end up picking 3-4, perhaps they pull a Burkie and try to get the #2 pick with Horvat +.  Imagine drafting both the big Finns?

There is no way I'd give up Horvat for either of those players regardless of how good they are. He has an incredible skill set and a hockey IQ that can't be taught plus he has tremendous leadership skills, which will be needed after the Sedins retire. He's being groomed as the future captain of the Canucks. McCann you could convince me to do that though.

1 hour ago, Lui's Knob said:

The deadline will come and go and we'll end up getting rid of a draft pick or 2. Watch.

If we don't at the bare minimum trade one of either Vrbata or Hamhuis me and most of the Canucks fan base will lose their $&!#. They're becoming UFA's, this is the last year on their contract, don't let them go for nothing. Though after this year barring any huge contracts our cap woes are pretty much over for a few years.

Prust, Vrbata, Hamhuis, Bartkowski and Weber are all UFA potentially freeing up 15.25m in cap space and after next year Burrows, Higgins and Miller become UFA freeing up another 13m. 8 players for 28.25m in 2 years. After we draft well and get some more prospects we can fill pretty much any hole we need to with that kind of money.

Bold moves, but that's probably, what it's going to take...might even not be enough. Before Benning was hired one of the biggest criticisms of Mike Gilles was his reluctance to make gutsy/bold moves.

Love Horvat but at some stage he may be on the block if it brings a franchise player... 

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Bold moves, but that's probably, what it's going to take...might even not be enough. Before Benning was hired one of the biggest criticisms of Mike Gilles was his reluctance to make gutsy/bold moves.

Love Horvat but at some stage he may be on the block if it brings a franchise player... 

GILLIS ^_^

You don't trade either of Horvat, McCann or Virtanen to move up in the draft. They are already 2+ years into development and future core of the team. If you trade one of them you set yourself back a couple of years in the rebuild.

This team needs a couple more prospects that are further along in development, like JB made moves for Baer and Vey, he needs to add couple more like that, Drouin would be good.

Any of the other prospects sure, but none of Horvat, Canner, Virtanen or Hutton.

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

You mean a player who brings leadership to a team? A player who has the ability to carry his team on his back? A player who can set a good example for new youth coming onto the team? A player who can score a lot of goals? That is what Horvat is.

28 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Those guys are all young though, whether you like them or not. As long as he doesn't try to acquire "playoff" help and starts throwing away picks. We want other GMs to do that though. It would be nice for someone to give up a low first for Vrbata. 

Yeah. I'm just pointing out that Benning loves his picks, and has only given up three (that I remember of) for young players on the cusp of producing for the big club. Pedan is looking decent. Baer, well, he seems to have turned a corner, and has figured out how to play in this league. 

I'm not convinced that Vrbata will fetch the Canucks a 1st round pick, even if it's a low one, unless he picks up his performance. I wouldn't mind putting Vrbata with the Sedins, to get him jumpstarted with his offense. 

Archived