The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade F Jensen to Rangers for F Etem

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Price is said to be high.

No Higgins, Vey and a 3rd this time

Stevie Y will likely ask for Virtanen.

i know he is a local kid, but it would be tempting to make that trade. Maybe try boeser plus something instead?

I cant understand why this trade has become an issue? Is it because we see big moves from other teams right now? Jensen was lost in the mix.. and doing nothing for the teams main issues.. Etem was doing nothing for the Rangers either. I see this trade as a new fresh start for both young guys. And if it pans out for either of them.. Great.. If not, we lose absolutely nothing, as Jensen wasn't even a factor anyways.

P.s. I am a big Jensen fan. and I hope he thrives in NY

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

This is how AV rolls with young players. He probably labelled Etem as a bottom 6 only player, so he gave him the bottom 6 treatment and tried to force him to be a shutdown guy. If he was given cushy O-zone starts like Hodgson, I bet his numbers would be quite different.

I personally think there's more to his game than just a crash and bang bottom 6 player, just like with Kassian. They tried to turn him into something he wasn't. Etem scored almost a goal a game in his last season of junior. You don't do that if you're just a bottom 6 plug.

I'm not saying he's a bottom six plug, but bigger, stronger guys in Jr. can score a lot of goals.  Tom Sestito did too.  Plus, even if he plays that hard to play against bottom six role, that's still a big win for JB, isn't it?

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

New York also gets a late draft pick, per TSN.

Learn to read will ya, as per his post.

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have acquired right wing Emerson Etem from the New York Rangers in exchange for Nicklas Jensen and a 6th round pick in 2017.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm not saying he's a bottom six plug, but bigger, stronger guys in Jr. can score a lot of goals.  Tom Sestito did too.  Plus, even if he plays that hard to play against bottom six role, that's still a big win for JB, isn't it?

Yes it is. These comparisons to junior are pretty silly. That being said I do think he can succeed in Vancouver in a top 9 roll.

As it is the Nyr would risk losing Etem to waivers and next year we would risk losing Jensen to waivers. It's a change of scenery for both players which is what they both need.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yea, but the goals he scored were of the speedy skilled variety, not the stand front of the net and be impossible to move ones.

I think his skillset would translate more to the NHL than Sestito's.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yea, but the goals he scored were of the speedy skilled variety, not the stand front of the net and be impossible to move ones.

I think his skillset would translate more to the NHL than Sestito's.

My apologies.  Using Sestito was a bad comparable.  Yes, Etem is way more skilled.  I'm simply (and not doing such a good job of it) trying to say if Etem is a bottom six guy, with his size, speed, agressiveness, and skill, that's a big win for us.

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Seems to be a lot of competition being built up on the roster by JB. Play well and play with energy or get left behind might be slogan

Which is why you gotta believe Higgins sitting out is not a coincidence.

I'm sure he's at the point where he's willing to trade him for a 7th with retained salary. Just need Higgins to waive.

5 hours ago, Brouhaha said:

I forget who, but one of our prospects named Etem as his favourite nhl player a while ago.

Shinkaruk posted that on his Twitter bio prior to being drafted and it's still posted on there today. They were teammates in Medicine Hat.

I hope this means we trade Higgins and call up Shinkaruk to reunite the MH connections.

Archived