The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade F Jensen to Rangers for F Etem

2 minutes ago, goblix said:

I guess the people who lose out the most on this deal are Grenier and Gaunce. Etem being waiver eligible makes 1 more hurdle for hem to get in the NHL.

on the flip side maybe the addition of Etem makes Burrows / Higgins / Prust expendable

How about all three go, and Guance and Shinkaruk come up?:shock:

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Cause that's what it took to get the deal done? I don't consider Jensen for Etem straight up a fair swap.

lol 7th rounder is meaningless, the trade would have happen neway.  JB seems easy to give away those pick to close the deal, if the deal is made its not the addition of a late pick that going to make it fall through.  I don't mind him giving him, as long as some times he gets the additional one, but he never does.

4 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

Sorry Mc...wasn't meant to be a sleight on your post...I love the Etem trade for the Canucks, but I think the Ducks miss Beleskey (and Beauchemin) more than they miss Etem.  A 22/23 year old who played 12 minutes per game isn't going to be too badly missed. 

Hopefully he comes here and fulfills the promise he showed as a Duck.  I'm really liking the idea of two heavy forwards (Etem and Virtanen) between a smallish centre like McCann or Vey.  Maybe, just maybe, Vey re-united with Etem helps the two become bona-fide NHLers.  

I'd love to see the following forward lines tomorrow vs. the Bolts:

Sedin -- Sedin -- Burrows

Baertschi -- Horvat -- Vrbata

Prust -- McCann -- Dorsett

Etem -- Vey -- Virtanen

Shinkaruk McCann Etem - shinky scored 49 with Etem in junior, Etem scored 61....I think those 2 have some chemistry

:)

38 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I can't believe some people are at all worried that the 6th round pick might haunt the team.

Fair enough. According to http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/analyzing-value-nhl-draft-picks/ a 6th round pick has about a 10% chance of becoming an NHL regular. So yes, a 6th round pick is a lottery ticket, but lottery tickets have some value and you don't want to give away too many.

Still, I agree that this looks like a good trade for Vancouver and I can also see why the Rangers wanted to do it (Etem is not waiver exempt and they don't have room for him in their playoff drive, especially if they pick up a rental or two.)

I am struck by how much interest there is. This thread alone has 19 pages already, not to mention the new prospect thread for Etem. 

8 minutes ago, goblix said:

I guess the people who lose out the most on this deal are Grenier and Gaunce. Etem being waiver eligible makes 1 more hurdle for them to get in the NHL.

on the flip side maybe the addition of Etem makes Burrows / Higgins / Prust expendable

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Burrows Sutter Virtanen

Baertschi Horvat Etem

Gaunce/Dorsett McCann/Cracknell Grenier

Prust, Vrbata, and Higgins gone at the deadline. Vey back to Utica.

i say virtanen back to junior

etem to take his roster spot

if other holes need to be filled.. fill them with utica players

i'd prefer vey to stay over virtanen, he needs more seasoning

say what they want about his nhl ready body, he is not ready, and this is one player we do risk ruining by rushing him

he has had a very fair opportunity to make it with the canuck team

unlike mccann, and horvat last year, who are/were both ready, jake is not

the organization must do the right thing with him

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

lol 7th rounder is meaningless, the trade would have happen neway.  JB seems easy to give away those pick to close the deal, if the deal is made its not the addition of a late pick that going to make it fall through.  I don't mind him giving him, as long as some times he gets the additional one, but he never does.

It's a 6th rounder for the record. You see late round picks tossed into trades all the time. Personally if I was a Rangers fan, getting that pick would make me feel a little better about the deal. It's a lottery ticket to help balance things out. I believe the term "counter balance" is often used in these situations.

Decent move, seems similar to the moves to get Baertschi and Vey (Jensen likely doesn't have much value, and along with the 5th it might equate to a near-NHL ready guy in Emerson, or the 2nd given up to get the first two guys).  

With the Tiger trend, what's next, Kris Russell and... Cam Barker to Vancouver?  :blink:

I think a trade at this level (low) is distracting,. and far too speculative. Perhaps its a way to stack and hold better value than that of Jensen. Lets not forget that this is the NHL, and not the WHL.  Interesting times ahead,  i wish Mr Etem the best of luck with the Canucks.

go look up Jensen - NEVER BROKE 30 GOAL MARK IN JR.

- i am not sure why this guy was:

1.Ever rated a first round pick above a guy named Jenner who was a center, rugged and had more points

2.chosen in the first round

3. thought of as a future top 6 nhl player

4. still belived to be a future NHL player

this kid represents all that was wrong with the Gillis drafting era or the nonis drafting scouts that gillis did not fire. They pick jensen because of his size (he is not a physical player) after the canucks got beat by the bruins. They picked him based on position as gillis said they already had schroeder and hodgson and did not need another center (pfff). They picked him because they said he was a good goal scorer - he has never really been an elite goal scorer at any level. What he does do is score goals in streaks but these streaks are rare. IMO JB got something for nothing.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

I think a trade at this level (low) is distracting,. and far too speculative. Perhaps its a way to stack and hold better value than that of Jensen. Lets not forget that this is the NHL, and not the WHL.  Interesting times ahead,  i wish Mr Etem the best of luck with the Canucks.

Etem performed well at the AHL level too, which is something Jensen has yet to do.

19 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Lundquist, Zetteberg, Vrbata and Rinne disagree with your first post.

Archived