The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade F Jensen to Rangers for F Etem

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I don't think JB is happy with the lack of production from the 3rd and 4th lines.

Prust has been mostly a disappointment so far. I think getting a 3rd or a 4th for him at the deadline is the best case scenario.

Gives an opportunity for guys like Etem, Virtanen, and Grenier to earn their place.

Prust has 7 points in 29 games. That projects to 20 points over a 82 game season. He only had one better season than that in his whole career.

Cracknell projects at 19.

Dorsett projects at 14.

That's decent production from a 4th line.

Virt at 17

Higgins at 10

Kenins at 0

Is more of a problem.

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

They've been calling Etem a big disappointment in NY, but realistically:

-he was getting 30.9% offensive zone starts (with 41.7% finishes)

Etem also had a relative corsi of +0.2 so his possession game in that context was pretty decent, and you can't expect a lot of production out of a young player in that context, playing 11 minutes every other night or so.

He's also a +10 in turnover differential, with 13 takeaways and only 3 giveaways. 

Love the guy's shot, has pretty decent mobility and his two way game is not bad at all for a young player. 

Very happy to pick this guy up.  In alot of way, a lot like Jensen.

I was going through a few of his stats in the Etem Talk thread as well. Draws far more penalties than he takes (better than Raymond even), is useful on limited draws it seems (50% on the year so far) and his offence not translating yet from juniors/minors to the NHL may be related partly to bad bounces. There's lots to like for the price we paid.

And for the record, I wouldn't say Jensen's washed up yet but it would seem he'd need a prime situation to find success. Maybe he finds it, but Etem is more likely to be effective and could still find that offensive ceiling.

12 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Great trade it's like Vancouver getting that 1st Round pick back for getting Ballard so I am ok with this.

Yeah but we also lose a first round pick. Though it was kinda wasted anyway lol.

With this trade, could there be another one coming once Sutter and Hansen are healthy? Hopefully we get rid of Higgins or Prust at the deadline for some picks or prospects. Higgins doesn't fit in with this team anymore. I'd like to see Shink come up and be on a line with Emerson Etem. They had good chemistry back in Junior. 

What do you guys think? I'm sure Higgins time with the Canucks is done soon. Sven is starting to improve and showing what he's capable of doing. And now with Etem here he's going to have a fresh start and has some good potential. He has proven to score in the Junior level, and in AHL with 10+ goals in two seasons and 20+ in one season, he also has 15 goals in the NHL. What I also like about him is that in his pro career he's appeared in 23 NHL playoff games and has 8 points, so he has some playoff experience. 

18 minutes ago, roland said:

I remember people armchairing crazy proposals for Etem. Like both of McCann pick+ prospect and a regular. So i'm can't complain about this trade especially since Jensen wasn't showing much potential.

Yep I remember people being angry that we got bonino instead Etem.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring. With our current forward line up, we have 14 and 2 more on the IR. Of this, only Vey is waiver ineligible, and that will change after the 10th game he plays. 

This is just speculation, but it appears the Canucks roster page was updated today, as it has Etem as #26 and Hansen on the IR. Gaunce oddly enough, is listed among our active forwards, while Vey is not. Take a look here: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

I mention this being updated today, as they're clearly on top of it. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Gaunce came up, just to avoid Vey being waiver eligible again. Further to this is the forward situation, from which it appears McCann and Virtanen are to be rotated in, with Higgins and possibly Etem to be the guys to come out. If we're carrying this many forwards it shouldn't be for long, as Sutter and Hansen will be returning in the next month. At that point, are we selling the likes of Prust/Vrbata, or is management planning to waive Higgins or even return Virtanen back to junior?

This is just the start of the movement.

Post trade deadline... 

Sedin Sedin Hansen 

Shinkaruk  Sutter Etem

Baerstchi Horvat Burrows 

Gaunce McCann Grenier 

Virtanen 

Edler Tanev 

Sbisa Hutton 

Pedan Biega 

Weber 

Miller 

Markstrom

Trade 

Vrbata, Higgins, Prust,  Dorsett, Hamhuis, Barthowski

This should keep things fresh and exciting. Games will be competitive yet on the losing end to help with the tank to finish the year.  

Hopefully the pieces up for trade can somehow garner at least one extra 1st rounder and 1 extra 2nd and a bunch of 3-5th rounders. 

Going into the draft, 

Early first round (van) 

Late first round (Vrbata/Hamhuis) 

Early  2nd (van) 

Early  2nd (Hamhuis/Vrbata) 

3rd round (van) 

3rd round (Higgins) 

3rd round (Barthowski) 

4th round (van) 

4th round (prust/Dorsett ) 

5th round (van) 

5th round (prust/Dorsett) 

I've left out the Columbus compensation (2nd rounder) because Columbus will most likely push it to 2018 with the terrible season they are having. 

I also did not check whether we had all our picks. 

30 minutes ago, Derp... said:

So in 2011-12 

Shinkaruk scored: 49G 42A
Etem scored: 61G 46A
Beartschi scored: 33G 61A

Those 3 combined for

143G 149A!!!!!

292 points

The fact that Benning is finally acquiring some WHLers shouldn't be understated. I remember during his early press conferences he had stated he wanted more BC products, and to grab some Westerners. He then went on to draft Virtanen, acquire Vey, and trade for Baertschi/Etem. I like it! He keeps his word. 

13 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring. With our current forward line up, we have 14 and 2 more on the IR. Of this, only Vey is waiver ineligible, and that will change after the 10th game he plays. 

This is just speculation, but it appears the Canucks roster page was updated today, as it has Etem as #26 and Hansen on the IR. Gaunce oddly enough, is listed among our active forwards, while Vey is not. Take a look here: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

I mention this being updated today, as they're clearly on top of it. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Gaunce came up, just to avoid Vey being waiver eligible again. Further to this is the forward situation, from which it appears McCann and Virtanen are to be rotated in, with Higgins and possibly Etem to be the guys to come out. If we're carrying this many forwards it shouldn't be for long, as Sutter and Hansen will be returning in the next month. At that point, are we selling the likes of Prust/Vrbata, or is management planning to waive Higgins or even return Virtanen back to junior?

This is just the start of the movement.

I've never heard of this 10 game rule. Waiver call ups get 9 games before they have to clear again? 

Archived