The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade F Jensen to Rangers for F Etem

Granted Etem didn't do much in the NHL last season, he'll get a chance in Vancouver when Jensen really didn't. After an amazing stint with the Sedins one year, Jensen never worked his way back up through the AHL ranks the way Shink and Gaunce are. Etem was at least a point per game in the AHL and he looks like he'll be a carbon copy of Virtanen. With Hansen out, JB was forced to make a move and this is a brilliant one.

Would not mind seeing Etem on the top line for the hell of it, see how that experiment goes. He's bigger than Hansen and might be able to form a far more effective screen. Or, he could slot into our bottom-6 just about anywhere.

Of course he looks flashy and shiny and hopefully he produces offence, because if he doesn't he'll be straight down to Utica and Gaunce really should get the next call-up.

A good hockey trade, good for both teams.  Rangers needed to open a spot for a possible player to be added for their playoff push/run, the 6th round more than likely wont amount to anything, Jensen wasn't going to be extended at the end of the year.  Hopefully being back with WD will get Etem going.  I'm sure this will now get the ball rolling on more trades maid be JB, exciting time.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Etem performed well at the AHL level too, which is something Jensen has yet to do.

Hey DeNiro, sorry if i sound too cynical, but it just seems this has the potential to be another project.. I guess i would like to think we might be stacking to land that mythical Defensive Stud we need. ... Also hate to think we are creating a WD reunion of sorts, he does seem to have more patience with kids he is familiar with vs kids he does not know and have been putting in a strong show in Utica.  ... Hope im wrong actually.

Just now, SilentSam said:

Hey DeNiro, sorry if i sound too cynical, but it just seems this has the potential to be another project.. I guess i would like to think we might be stacking to land that mythical Defensive Stud we need. ... Also hate to think we are creating a WD reunion of sorts, he does seem to have more patience with kids he is familiar with vs kids he does not know and have been putting in a strong show in Utica.

The thing is Jensen likely had little value to anyone around the league, even as a throw in.

The most we were gonna get is a mid pick or a project player. The fact that we got a project player who has already shown he can play in the NHL, even if it's just as a bottom 6 guy, is a win. The familiarity with Willie is just a bonus.

Stacking assets is useless if those assets hold little value and eventually become worthless. It's better we get something while we can. 

His speed and size are very enticing. If he uses his speed to get in on forecheck and uses his size to get to the net I don't see how he doesn't give us solid 3rd line minutes. 

Jensen is likely to be in Europe next year, so it's really Etem for a 6th. 

This kid is perfect fit for the Canucks, this team needs a player with size who can get in on the forecheck. Etem has to take advantage of this great opportunity. He just lucked out by getting traded to a team that desperately needs what this kid can bring. Now it's upto him.

IMHO big fast RW Virtanen will now be sent to Junior, before his 40th game

Etem is a big fast RW that cannot clear waivers, Benning acquired Etem to play and he will play in the top 9

When Hansen returns to the lineup, Jake will be going to the Hitmen, which is not the worst thing.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The thing is Jensen likely had little value to anyone around the league, even as a throw in.

The most we were gonna get is a mid pick or a project player. The fact that we got a project player who has already shown he can play in the NHL, even if it's just as a bottom 6 guy, is a win. The familiarity with Willie is just a bonus.

Stacking assets is useless if those assets hold little value and eventually become worthless. It's better we get something while we can. 

Agreed .. Looks like we get some fresh energy on the ice Saturday Night. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

His speed and size are very enticing. If he uses his speed to get in on forecheck and uses his size to get to the net I don't see how he doesn't give us solid 3rd line minutes. 

Jensen is likely to be in Europe next year, so it's really Etem for a 6th. 

This kid is perfect fit for the Canucks, this team needs a player with size who can get in on the forecheck. Etem has to take advantage of this great opportunity. He just lucked out by getting traded to a team that desperately needs what this kid can bring. Now it's upto him.

Why did the Rangers trade for him last year then?  They must have thought he provided what they lacked too, no?  Maybe, we should accept that BENNING BENT THE RANGERS OVER ON THIS ONE?

15 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Granted Etem didn't do much in the NHL last season, he'll get a chance in Vancouver when Jensen really didn't. After an amazing stint with the Sedins one year, Jensen never worked his way back up through the AHL ranks the way Shink and Gaunce are. Etem was at least a point per game in the AHL and he looks like he'll be a carbon copy of Virtanen. With Hansen out, JB was forced to make a move and this is a brilliant one.

Would not mind seeing Etem on the top line for the hell of it, see how that experiment goes. He's bigger than Hansen and might be able to form a far more effective screen. Or, he could slot into our bottom-6 just about anywhere.

Of course he looks flashy and shiny and hopefully he produces offence, because if he doesn't he'll be straight down to Utica and Gaunce really should get the next call-up.

I doubt he gets sent down. A little risky losing him to waivers.

But ya I agree put him with the twins.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why did the Rangers trade for him last year then?  They must have thought he provided what they lacked too, no?  Maybe, we should accept that BENNING BENT THE RANGERS OVER ON THIS ONE?

The Rangers gave up a premium player in Hagelin to get Etem... they really must have felt he had potential.

Hagelin can play on any NHL team, Canucks would love to have him.

This is why it is so puzzling the Rangers were willing to give up on him so quick... and for so little.

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The Rangers gave up a premium player in Hagelin to get Etem... they really must have felt he had potential.

Hagelin can play on any NHL team, Canucks would love to have him.

This is why it is so puzzling the Rangers were willing to give up on him so quick... and for so little.

I know.  I feel the same way.  The dots don't connect.  Is there more going on with Etem, or is it a good old fashioned bend over?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Rangers traded for him for cap space. They weren't gonna be able to afford Hagelin after the season was over, so they wanted to get a  young asset that could fill in in the bottom 6. Clearly AV wasn't a fan of his game, so they shipped him out.

The best thing about this whole thing is the Rangers essentially gave up Hagelin for Jensen and a 6th, and the Ducks are stuck with Hagelin and his 8 points for 4 million a year.

Meanwhile JB walks in like a rock star and gets the best piece from that deal (IMO), for next to nothing.

Archived