The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade F Jensen to Rangers for F Etem

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Rangers traded for him for cap space. They weren't gonna be able to afford Hagelin after the season was over, so they wanted to get a  young asset that could fill in in the bottom 6. Clearly AV wasn't a fan of his game, so they shipped him out.

The best thing about this whole thing is the Rangers essentially gave up Hagelin for Jensen and a 6th, and the Ducks are stuck with Hagelin and his 8 points for 4 million a year.

Meanwhile JB walks in like a rock star and gets the best piece from that deal (IMO), for next to nothing.

When the Rangers traded Hagelin he was coming off a 18G 17A 35 pt season.

Maybe not worth 4 mil, but still a good player.

The Rangers had to believe Etem was a valuable commodity

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why did the Rangers trade for him last year then?  They must have thought he provided what they lacked too, no?  Maybe, we should accept that BENNING BENT THE RANGERS OVER ON THIS ONE?

Rags traded Hagelin because his contract was up and Rags couldn't fit him under the cap going forward. He was an important player on the Rags and they hated to see him go but really had no choice. The salary cap made it happen. ANA traded for him and signed him to a $4 mill per year contract. 

Etem just didn't gel with AV. We all know how AV likes to play favorites, for some reason this kid never got out of AV's doghouse and barely got a chance. 

He's sure to get a chance now in Vancouver. Let's see how it turns out. 

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

When the Rangers traded Hagelin he was coming off a 18G 17A 35 pt season.

Maybe not worth 4 mil, but still a good player.

The Rangers had to believe Etem was a valuable commodity

Which is why they traded him. They knew they couldn't afford 4 million for him.

The Ducks took a gamble on Hagelin and appear to have lost.

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

For this minor deal?

What will you want when JB gets us that #1 stud dman?

well I am not that picky...

an all JB calendar, maybe with July featuring some lube and a firefighter outfit or at least boots and a fire helmet.

I would also except an autographed boudoir style picture or a doll made from his chest hair.

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Etem just didn't gel with AV. We all know how AV likes to play favorites, for some reason this kid never got out of AV's doghouse and barely got a chance. 

So, what you're saying is he looks like Keith Ballard ;)

Just now, sonoman said:

So, what you're saying is he looks like Kieth Ballard ;)

Lets face it Ballard wasn't very good at all. Not a AV problem rather a Ballard problem.

As far as the trade goes I like it. I think Etem can play a top 9 role for us now and in the future. I would really like to see him with the twins. 

Good trade. Jensen is a flop. And of course drafted by us. I don't think the kid ever excelled at anything in particular in junior. Just an average player there and an average player at best it seems in the A. His numbers aren't really getting any better there season after season. Might as well get rid of him. We're not losing anything right now and it'll probably stand that way - no reason to think any differently

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why did the Rangers trade for him last year then?  They must have thought he provided what they lacked too, no?  Maybe, we should accept that BENNING BENT THE RANGERS OVER ON THIS ONE?

Perhaps the Rangers were not sure about what they had in J.T. Miller and Etem was a just in case type of acquisition? Add that to the likely concerns the Rangers had over cap space. I think it mostly adds up.

regards, G.

3 hours ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

I'm not as optimistic about this trade as everyone else. 

Personally I prefer Jensen due to contract status. Also think it leaves Utica a bit short on talent. And I'm a bit worried what Etem's extension will be. 

Most of the time when teams trade players they've given up on, it turns out both teams were right.

Some of the time a player becomes ok.

And occasionally, one of the players does really well with the change of scenery and becomes a star.  Naslund came to the Canucks in one of those trades to get two disappointing picks a change of scenery and it could be Canucks' most successful trade.

Etem has potential and there is reason for hope he could become a useful NHL player.  If the Canucks get lucky he'll become a really good NHL player.

The Rangers clearly gave up on him.  The Canucks clearly gave up on Jensen.  If it turns out Etem doesn't do much, Canucks have lost very little.

I like the trade.  I think it is a good one.  It may or may not end up meaning anything, but there is reason to be hopeful.

On another note, going forward from something Canada Hockey Place mentioned, what do people think the roster in Utica will look like next season?  Will there be a lot of players leaving or being promoted?  

53 minutes ago, AlphaHoneyBadger said:

Lundquist, Zetteberg, Vrbata and Rinne disagree with your first post.

Do you have any example not dated more then 10 years ago?

Plus you probably have a bigger chance of picking a Zetterberg in the 7th round than winning the lottery...so yeah meaningless.

It should be noted that with Jensen's departure, that's 5 first round picks that have either busted or been traded before playing a full season for the Canucks from 2006-2011.

With Jensen leaving, the only players that remain from the 2005-2011 drafts are Joe Cannata, Alex Friesen, Alex Grenier, Joe Labate, and Ludwig Blomstrand.

There's no team in the league with a worse drafting record between that time frame. Not even close.

It should be noted that with Jensen's departure, that's 5 first round picks that have either busted or been traded before playing a full season for the Canucks from 2006-2011.

With Jensen leaving, the only players that remain from the 2005-2011 drafts are Joe Cannata, Alex Friesen, Alex Grenier, Joe Labate, and Ludwig Blomstrand.

There's no team in the league with a worse drafting record between that time frame. Not even close.

Is this an indictment of the Gillis regime?

I'm happy with this move, but I don't think it's a "steal" by Benning by any means.

Jensen still has half a season of waiver eligibility which helps the Rangers roster now. Both players are nearing so-called "bust" territory. At one point Etem was pretty highly touted (more so than Jensen) but hasn't proven anything at the NHL level.

I like the trade because Willie has coached Etem before, and Etem has played on a line with Shink. I like the trade because I do believe that chances of scenery can help players out. And I also like it cuz Vrbata is probably gonna be moved by deadline and the Canucks have room for some RW depth. If Shink and Etem can re-discover any level of chemistry by next training camp than this might be a big win for Benning.

This trade basically helps both teams in what they needed more in terms of the depth and NYR gets a 6th rounder for a player with a slightly higher ceiling. 

Good hockey trade, but not a steal (yet) for either side.

Terrible drafting and no cups, welcome to Vancouver..

Lets hope we see a change in both those categories in the coming years.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is this an indictment of the Gillis regime?

I think it's an indictment of our scouting in general. This team has never been strong at drafting or developing.

It seems like only recently we've started to turn the corner.

Archived