The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Garrett calls out the league for their treatment of the Sedins

nuckin_futz

58 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

I agree with John Garrett.

But the bigger issue is the NHL. If they were anywhere close to serious about player safety...... maybe they should open a dictionary and look up "repeat offender" before someone ends up paralyzed 

At least the clown got suspended for that last one.  Should have got more than 3, but it was something.  

Trying to think when I hated another player as much as that rat-faced puke, but nothing comes to mind.  Messier, perhaps?  Would have to mull that one over, since the situations are so different.

6 hours ago, y-ote' said:

I disagree about TT. Refs know that goalies need to be protected. The code (and I'll have to check with Sean Thornton to verify) but the code says that because goalies aren't allowed to be hit, they actually aren't allowed to throw hits. Another precedent setting turn of the blind eye by the stripes in that series. Irrespective of it also being interference. 

If that's the rule that goalies can't hit then that was certainly a penalty. I just didn't know that they weren't allowed to hit.

Would be interesting to know.

6 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

If that's the rule that goalies can't hit then that was certainly a penalty. I just didn't know that they weren't allowed to hit.

Would be interesting to know.

It's not a written rule. Just always been called that way because goalies aren't allowed to be hit. Goes both ways. Or it has traditionally IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Kragar said:

At least the clown got suspended for that last one.  Should have got more than 3, but it was something.  

Trying to think when I hated another player as much as that rat-faced puke, but nothing comes to mind.  Messier, perhaps?  Would have to mull that one over, since the situations are so different.

Keith's elbow on Daniel on one of our few legit contention years still pisses me off.

Just now, J.R. said:

Keith's elbow on Daniel on one of our few legit contention years still pisses me off.

Yeah, that was disgusting.  And given his history, Keith isn't that much less of a puke.  That high-stick to Jeff Carter just blows my mind.

More success than the Rat, but still a slimeball.

2 hours ago, y-ote' said:

It's not a written rule. Just always been called that way because goalies aren't allowed to be hit. Goes both ways. Or it has traditionally IMO. 

If it's not a written rule then it's not a rule and shouldn't have been called. 

I actually don't remember a goalie hitting someone as in a body check goes. 

Maybe message Dan cloutier he'll know. 

5 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Wouldn't it stand to reason that if a goalie can hit, then he can be hit? Lots of unwritten rules in the NHL. 

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

Disagree 

As did Jack Edwards and bruins fans everywhere who loved that hit, but wouldn't have loved it had the shoe been on the other foot.

There's also no specific rule against pulling a gun out there, but you'd hope the refs would at least give the Bruins a minor penalty for  that. 

Sedins get treated like that because they're good. Just look at all the big time celebrities and music stars: Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Wiz Khalifa, etc. What do they all have in common? HATERS. People love to hate on them, just like the Sedins. Except for one detail, the Sedins are least vain people ever.

52 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

If I remember right Tim Thomas took out  Henrik Sedin in one of the 2011 SC games like he was a football linebacker.  Was kind of funny and surprising at the time.

The NHL reeks of mafia.  Yep, I said it.  Mafia.   An arrogant, often aloof "leadership" group, coupled with what can be called nothing more than a floating and completely fluid "rule set", leads me to say this.  There is a reason the best game in the world, is barely the 4th most popular, some would say golf is ahead, league in North America.

45 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

Sedins get treated like that because they're good. Just look at all the big time celebrities and music stars: Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Wiz Khalifa, etc. What do they all have in common? HATERS. People love to hate on them, just like the Sedins. Except for one detail, the Sedins are least vain people ever.

To be fair, Biebs deserved the hate after all the crap he pulled.

34 minutes ago, BigOldOrca said:

If I remember right Tim Thomas took out  Henrik Sedin in one of the 2011 SC games like he was a football linebacker.  Was kind of funny and surprising at the time.

This is the play you're talking about. Henrik catches the puck and drops it at the top of the crease and is intent on making a play at the net. Thomas isn't even looking at the puck and lunges at Henrik hitting him with his glove, blocker and stick right in the chest. Knocking him backwards into Boychuck's right leg. Potentially a very dangerous hit.

Thomas makes no attempt at the puck. That's interference.

Why did Thomas do this? It's midway through the 3rd of game 3 and the Bruins are leading 4-0. Earlier in the game Rome had leveled Horton and knocked him out of the series. Thomas doesn't care about giving the Canucks a power play, nor does he care about his shutout. He's sending a message that even the reigning MVP will get no respect.

It's just a shame like Cheech pointed out that the league officials agreed with him.

6 hours ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

I agree with John Garrett.

But the bigger issue is the NHL. If they were anywhere close to serious about player safety...... maybe they should open a dictionary and look up "repeat offender" before someone ends up paralyzed 

eyVcvE1.gif

kdtpqb.jpg

Man Marchand doing this reminds me back in my junior hockey days where this one kid would flip my teammates and oppourtunity was presented in front of me when he was in my path and I flipped him and he got injured and left the game.  I wish I could get into the NHL just to do this to Marchand.

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

This is the play you're talking about. Henrik catches the puck and drops it at the top of the crease and is intent on making a play at the net. Thomas isn't even looking at the puck and lunges at Henrik hitting him with his glove, blocker and stick right in the chest. Knocking him backwards into Boychuck's right leg. Potentially a very dangerous hit.

Thomas makes no attempt at the puck. That's interference.

Why did Thomas do this? It's midway through the 3rd of game 3 and the Bruins are leading 4-0. Earlier in the game Rome had leveled Horton and knocked him out of the series. Thomas doesn't care about giving the Canucks a power play, nor does he care about his shutout. He's sending a message that even the reigning MVP will get no respect.

It's just a shame like Cheech pointed out that the league officials agreed with him.

Gotta disagree. Henrik had possession, so no interference. Thomas steps out and hits him with his forearms (when it happened I thought it was a crosscheck, but it's not). There's no rule against a goaltender throwing a check. In fact, in my day there was no rule against a player throwing a check on a goalie, as long as he was out of the crease and handling the puck with his stick. That's probably changed, though.

There was a ton of things to complain about in that series, but to me this isn't one of them.

15 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

It's different.  I don't care what the haters think of the Sedins.  There's people in the league we all despise on some level or another but who are appreciated by their fans.  I"m sure Chicago fans don't give a crap what Canuck fans think of Kane or Keith.

What matters is how the league treats the Sedins, as compared to their peers.  That is what Garrett is trying to raise awareness to.  And, whether the twitterverse is praising or panning him for it, the word is spreading.  Now it's just a matter of how much the league notices, and how they act upon it.

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎21 at 8:28 PM, oldnews said:

We could use a moderate homer or too like John.  The market is otherwise full of media dimwits that troll their own market.

Botchford/Sekeres/Price are 3 of the worst. But Vancouver's eats negativity for breakfast lunch and dinner. There's more haters than fans in this marketplace and they're all just looking for another snide remark or opinion that they can regurgitate and spew out. If we had more real fans, we'd run these radio and newspaper paid trolls right out of town.

Archived