The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pierre LeBrun - Tampa Bay asked for Horvat in return for Drouin.

homersexual

4 minutes ago, bernzie71 said:

What would be a fair trade for Drouin ? If Bo , Jake , Jared Boesser  are off the table  and baertschi 

I don't think there is a fair trade to be made. Both Drouin's potential and the risk of him flopping are too big at this point.  'Fair' would cause us to give up too much without a guarantee of Drouin turning out. 

I don't think it was 'unfair' to ask for Horvat but it also wasn't 'unfair' for the Canucks to hang up the phone. 

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

Yes, that's right Benning signed traded for and signed Sutter so he can be a 5 million dollar 3rd line center. :rolleyes:

his cap salary is 4.375 million, not 5. But try again. You're talking as if Sutter is a proven 2nd line center. He's played most of his career on the 3rd line, behind Crosby and Malkin. If you don't think Benning projects Bo to be a top 2 line player in a couple years, you haven't been paying attention at all. 

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Was thinking people were crazy for not wanting to part with McCann to get Drouin...then I noticed McCann has 1 more goal in 1/2 the games as Drouin.  Certainly does make one wonder what Drouin's value is.

Tampa Bay completely ruined Drouin which is probably why he wants out. TB sent him back to juniors to play center. He isn't a center. The following year, TB doesn't even play him at center while in the NHL

5 hours ago, smokes said:

Yes, that's right Benning signed traded for and signed Sutter so he can be a 5 million dollar 3rd line center. :rolleyes:

Actually Sutter has a massively hidden potential: it was brief,but he can beautifully complement the Sedins: provide a RH draw to cover for Henrik's critical weak side draws, is a natural righty, sort of gets the cycle game (he cycles, is just not that good at it yet) but above all, has the Burrows-esque tendency to 'make the pass, try to get open in front of the net for amazing pass and snap in' with them too.

Its unlikely, but if Vey, Henrik, Horvat keeps trucking along and the Vey-Cracknell fight for the 4C job heats up, Bennings might just say 'change of plans, you are a RW now for an awesome 1st line pairing'.

He is there only because Sutter is injured, don't be confused with him actually earning that spot.

3 hours ago, Frazzy Desjardins said:

The fact that we are forgetting he is 20 is a testament to how he has earned that 2nd line spot. Sky is the limit 

Yes, got to say, Horvat's value is being massively under-projected here. True, he plays like a very young 'okay 3C with bursts/streches of top 2C level play for several games'. But that is beyond the point here. 

Horvat was projected as the most complete player of his draft. Not the most offensively gifted or the skills-gifted guy. His thing is, he has no real glaring weaknesses but no real super-showy skills either- no 'amazing shot/sick acceleration/crazy stick handling'. But on the other hand, he is, realistically speaking, not 'bad or below average' in any single category either: as a  skater, he is above average, so is he as a passer, zone coverage, etc.

His weakest links are, he is not super-strong yet, so gets outmuscled a bit more often than optimal. That will come with time. He is a player, who's ceiling, realistically, is somewhere in the Patrice Bergeron (IMO, best case scenario) to David Backes (more realistic ceiling) type of a player. He is someone i can see steadily climbing in points and maintaining a 55-65 point average through his mid 20s and early thirties, while killing penalties, winning face-offs at a good clip, etc. 

That IMO, is a more fair assessment of Horvat and TBH, it puts him in the Drouin + R1 pick status, at the very least. Most likely a Drouin + R1 + R2 for a Horvat + R6 kinda deal.

13 hours ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

I don't understand why everyone thinks drouin has done nothing in the nhl simply because he was sent to the AHL after an injury. This is common among young players off of an injury. It was to be a conditioning stint unil his agent went full retard and got him buried down there as punishment for having an idiot agent.

Drouin has 0.45 ppg in over a full season primarily as a rookie. That is excellent production and well above any of our young guys . Drouin has undeniable and at times excillerating skills. Yes he may be soft but would that mean you would pass up on a Gudreau, Kane, Backstrom, etc.

Drouin is not a bust, he hasnt struggled in the nhl, i dont understand a lot of what im reading here. He has produced well and made the most out of his opportunities when they were given but for some reason they have stifled his opportunities to truly shine. Like the vast majority of young guys he has had tougher times yoo just like bo.  

The problem with trading for bo specifically is that Bo has a tremendous amount of character and other qualities and skills beyond offensive production whoch qe canr afford to lose in our future plans. But we'd be ridiculous to day no of it was built around someone like mccann.

Drouin would be a great running mate opposite of boeser on the future.

They want to keep him there lol. 

Edit: I'm not saying Drouin is a bust, or has attitude problems. But he has a very one dimensional game. Horvat had similar rookie numbers if memory serves me, and he brings a good/great two way game. He is mature beyond his years, and physically built like a bus. I guess this is a Toews vs Kane type question of who do you want/need?

Archived