The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pierre LeBrun - Tampa Bay asked for Horvat in return for Drouin.

homersexual

11 hours ago, Longtime fan of Canucks said:

Got to trade players of similar ilk.

Virtanen = Cam Neely type of power forward. Can't trade for Drouin.

Bo = Kesler type of power center with perhaps better setup ability. Can't trade for Drouin.

McCann = is of similar ilk (per word Benning likes to use) to Drouin. So perhaps McCann + 2nd or 3rd rounder for Drouin?

I would question Drouin push-back and kind of sulking vs McCann who is great at pushing back. Remember Getzlaf and others.

Perhaps Drouin has higher upside so trade may make sense for McCann.

I think we do trade McCann in the not too distant future, but Drouin would not be my choice to spend that bullet on.

There are rumours about Dumba and Drouin being swapped.  I would far rather trade McCann (++) for Dumba as that fits our organizational needs much more closely.

McCann + Shinkaruk + 2nd round pick for Dumba + a lesser prospect

6 hours ago, gameburn said:

Remember Alex Daigle lol.   Fantastic skater, great stats in Junior, big goal at world juniors.  Never made it.

Remember Hodson the can't miss center who was going to take over Kesler's role and take the captaincy from Henrik according to the CDCers.

1 hour ago, Pink Sock said:

McCann will outplay one of the best scorers in the NHL next to Ovechkin? Sounds legit.

Stamkos is no Ovechkin. 

It could happen. Stamkos is on pace for less than 40 goals this year. He's 2nd on his team in points and has 20 goals, which is good for 13th in the league. He's well below a PPG player now who's been moved to the wing because of his defensive shortcomings. 

And Stamkos is a one trick pony who can score goals IF he has a setup man like he did with St. Louis. McCann will be a better 2way player and the way he shoots the puck he could be a 30 goal guy. 

So it all depends on how you judge your players. Stamkos doesn't play Dfense, he's improved last 2 years but still work in process. Even If Stamkos scores 10 or 15 more goals, McCann still might be the better player if he continues to develop well as a two way 

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We could probably get Drouin for McCann and a 2nd and then swap him for Dumba.

That's way too much for Dumba IMO.

Could be... or it could be a good hockey trade for both organizations.  Impossible to tell for years I guess.  I would pay that price for a blue chip defensive prospect.

McCann's likely ceiling is a lower end 1st line centre... Dumba's likely ceiling is a high end #3 defenceman.  McCann probably has a higher "bust" potential, mainly because even crappy defencemen stay in the league because of scarcity.  Lots of highly skilled forwards who are playing in the minors or Europe because they just can't quite make an impact in the top 6 in the NHL.

We probably don't need to replace Henrik for 3-4 years, and when we do it can be with the top UFA available since we will have millions of Sedin cap space to throw around once they are gone.

We can't develop one easily for the reasons I noted already about the position being locked up already.  The only way to can develop a top line centre from within is to move Horvat out, and play that guy (McCann or whoever) on the 2nd line where he can get PP time and meaningful minutes with offensively oriented players.  I really don't see that happening, nor do I see Horvat or Sutter getting demoted to the 4th line for any stretch of time.

Sutter will probably play on the wing some for the rest of the season and McCann on the 4th line, but I don't expect that to be a permanent solution.

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

Could be... or it could be a good hockey trade for both organizations.  Impossible to tell for years I guess.  I would pay that price for a blue chip defensive prospect.

McCann's likely ceiling is a lower end 1st line centre... Dumba's likely ceiling is a high end #3 defenceman.  McCann probably has a higher "bust" potential, mainly because even crappy defencemen stay in the league because of scarcity.  Lots of highly skilled forwards who are playing in the minors or Europe because they just can't quite make an impact in the top 6 in the NHL.

We probably don't need to replace Henrik for 3-4 years, and when we do it can be with the top UFA available since we will have millions of Sedin cap space to throw around once they are gone.

We can't develop one easily for the reasons I noted already about the position being locked up already.  The only way to can develop a top line centre from within is to move Horvat out, and play that guy (McCann or whoever) on the 2nd line where he can get PP time and meaningful minutes with offensively oriented players.  I really don't see that happening, nor do I see Horvat or Sutter getting demoted to the 4th line for any stretch of time.

Sutter will probably play on the wing some for the rest of the season and McCann on the 4th line, but I don't expect that to be a permanent solution.

By the time the Sedins retire, their 14 million of combined cap is probably going to be the going rate for a lower end 1C lol. Legit. Kopitar just set a precedent and it's gonna increase every year. 

7 hours ago, Provost said:

I think we do trade McCann in the not too distant future, but Drouin would not be my choice to spend that bullet on.

There are rumours about Dumba and Drouin being swapped.  I would far rather trade McCann (++) for Dumba as that fits our organizational needs much more closely.

Perfect example of giving up on a player with half a season under his belt..that proposal is downright laughable.

18 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

No thanks. McCann will outplay Stamkos in a couple of years. And it doesn't make sense if their trade values are similar. If we traded McCann, we would have a huge hole in centre but still an abundance of high-skilled left-wingers.

Wow. I like McCann too, but Stamkos is a bonafide NHL star. Not a rookie who has 12 points in his first season. 

I might get torched for this but hear me out CDC. We need to be more objective. There are multiple things to consider. A: Stevie Y needs to make his money back. No matter what the posters above might think, Droin does have some pedigree of being a good enough player to get drafted 3rd overall and Yzerman can't trade him for some scrub. B: Horvat is not a comparable player to Drouin. One is a two way centre, the other a dynamic winger. They both have shown the ability to put up points in stretches. C: If Horvat asked for a trade tell me you wouldn't want the best.

Now from my point of view it's a good starting offer. No one smart has ever agreed to the first offer without negotiating. Drouin is a kind of player we just don't have in our system. Sorry, Baertchi and Shinkaruk, both good players in their own right, are not close in terms of skill and offensive capability, Next, if McCann was to be offered for Drouin, I would do it. At this time the centre position is our organizational strength with a PMD and first line wingers still in doubt. Drouin fills one of those holes.

Trade McCann + 2nd Round Pick for Drouin. Trade Vrbata, Prust, and Burrows at the deadline. Try to find a new home for Miller at the TDL or the draft. At the start of free agency go after Stamkos and one of the RFAs on Columbus, i.e. Jones and Murray. Resign Hamhuis for less than 3 Million, if he agrees great, if not just let him go. 

Go into next season like this:

1. Sedin-Sedin-Stamkos
  2. Drouin-Horvat-Baertchi
  3. Virtanen-Sutter-Etem
  4. Shinkaruk-Gaunce-Dorsett
  5. Zalewski-Vey
  • Murray-Edler
  • Hutton-Tanev
  • Sbisa-Biega
  • Pedan

Markstrom

P.S. Sorry for the weird formatting. I'm on my phone.

9 hours ago, Provost said:

way too much.  Shinkaruk + is good enough.  Shinkaruk in the AHL >>>>>>>>>> Stamko

13 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

That's right. Quote me on it and wait a couple of years. You'll be surprised at how accurate that statement will be.

quote me on this too.  Bo Horvat is the next Crosby.

Quote me on it right now. 

The NHL and NHLPA negotiated on the ELC and RFA status for a specific reason.  Until a players hits UFA his rights are owned by the team that drafted him.  All the power belongs to the team, Drouin has zero right to try and take the power into his hands.  He’s proven nothing, and the best thing he needs to do is such his mouth and go out there and work his way onto the team.

Hamonic on the other hand, requested a trade, but at the same time you don’t hear him or his agent complaining.  He still goes out there and gives it his all.  Drouin pouts in the corner and refuses to play.  The kids has no character and puts himself ahead of the team, if he wants a trade, fine, but never let it go public.  Good on Stevie Y for not bowing down to him.  The funny thing is Drouin still needs two more games for this year to count towards his UFA status. 

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The NHL and NHLPA negotiated on the ELC and RFA status for a specific reason.  Until a players hits UFA his rights are owned by the team that drafted him.  All the power belongs to the team, Drouin has zero right to try and take the power into his hands.  He’s proven nothing, and the best thing he needs to do is such his mouth and go out there and work his way onto the team.

Hamonic on the other hand, requested a trade, but at the same time you don’t hear him or his agent complaining.  He still goes out there and gives it his all.  Drouin pouts in the corner and refuses to play.  The kids has no character and puts himself ahead of the team, if he wants a trade, fine, but never let it go public.  Good on Stevie Y for not bowing down to him.  The funny thing is Drouin still needs two more games for this year to count towards his UFA status. 

I see your point I really do. But comparing the hamonic and Drouin cases are apples to oranges.  Hamonic might not be as cooperative I'd they sent him down to the minors. Making 100k instead of 1m (or whatever his contact is). Drouin is hurting his own value byour being a baby yes. But tbl  had a hand in it too. Are you telling me that they couldn't use him this year? Its like keeping Higgins over virtanen or mccann. Imo he's not proven much at the nhl level. But he hasaid earned a keep on their roster.

Just my 2 cents. 

13 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

I see your point I really do. But comparing the hamonic and Drouin cases are apples to oranges.  Hamonic might not be as cooperative I'd they sent him down to the minors. Making 100k instead of 1m (or whatever his contact is). Drouin is hurting his own value byour being a baby yes. But tbl  had a hand in it too. Are you telling me that they couldn't use him this year? Its like keeping Higgins over virtanen or mccann. Imo he's not proven much at the nhl level. But he hasaid earned a keep on their roster.

Just my 2 cents. 

Lightning seem to be doing ok without him. If you really break down Drouin’s play, he’s been extremely parameter.  He’s relying on things that he was able to get away with in Junior that doesn’t work in the NHL.  Cooper see’s this and is trying to get him to buy into the system, the team game.  Calgary did the same thing with Baertschi.    If the player isn’t going to learn what it takes to be a successful NHLer than he’s going to either play on the bench of get sent down the minors. 

I am ok with Drouin not being happy about his ice time, or even being ok with wanting a trade.  It’s the bringing attention outside of the dressing room that I’m not ok with.  Tampa has enough going on with the Stamkos situation.  He (his agent) didn’t need to make his trade request public and he didn’t need to skip out on his hockey game in the AHL.  Those are purely selfish moves where he puts himself ahead of the team.  And that’s coming from a 20 year old who’s got nothing but Junior success on his resume.  All it does is disrupt the dressing room, while the rest of the guys are competing for a playoff spot. 

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Lightning seem to be doing ok without him. If you really break down Drouin’s play, he’s been extremely parameter.  He’s relying on things that he was able to get away with in Junior that doesn’t work in the NHL.  Cooper see’s this and is trying to get him to buy into the system, the team game.  Calgary did the same thing with Baertschi.    If the player isn’t going to learn what it takes to be a successful NHLer than he’s going to either play on the bench of get sent down the minors. 

I am ok with Drouin not being happy about his ice time, or even being ok with wanting a trade.  It’s the bringing attention outside of the dressing room that I’m not ok with.  Tampa has enough going on with the Stamkos situation.  He (his agent) didn’t need to make his trade request public and he didn’t need to skip out on his hockey game in the AHL.  Those are purely selfish moves where he puts himself ahead of the team.  And that’s coming from a 20 year old who’s got nothing but Junior success on his resume.  All it does is disrupt the dressing room, while the rest of the guys are competing for a playoff spot. 

Yeah like i said i agree that drouin could handle this much better and still get his point across. I do however refuse to believe that TBL organization is completely innocent in whats happening. 

St louis

stamkos

Lecavalier

Drouin

All cant be wrong. Something isnt right in the org.

3 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Yeah like i said i agree that drouin could handle this much better and still get his point across. I do however refuse to believe that TBL organization is completely innocent in whats happening. 

St louis

stamkos

Lecavalier

Drouin

The press would certainly like you to think so. All 4 were completely different sets of circumstances though. 

2 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

The press would certainly like you to think so. All 4 were completely different sets of circumstances though. 

I mean i dont think its the weather.  They are a competitive team. Most players seem to enjoy the non hockey market retirement mentality. 

All signs point to Cooper/yzerman.

Dont know about cooper but yzerman comes off as a dick whenever see his interviews. 

18 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

St louis

stamkos

Lecavalier

Drouin

St.Louis was upset over the Olympics, Lecavalier was a Heatley situation where the player loses interest in the game, and Stamkos is going after big money (which TB doesn’t have the cap) plus it’s pretty well known that he wants to go home to Toronto.  He could still resign.  But there is a common denominator among the other 3… French Canadians :)

Archived