The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Value of) Sedins' new contract ?

Getting into a bit of a hypothetical here, but please hear me out:

Sedins are signed for another 2 years at 7 million per year cap hit.

Now, say in 2 years, when the Sedins are going to be 37, they wan to sign a 2 year contract. Lets assume that their last season (i.e., 2017-18) gives something like 10-20 goals and 40-50 points in a full season for each twin. What would that be worth ?

My shot in the dark would be, in the case of a 40-50 point season at age 37, a 2-year contract would yield 4.5 - 5 million/year range.

47 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I suspect this current contract is their final one in the NHL.

But if it isn't, I expect they will show no signs of drop off and continue to be top 10 scorers until retirement.

Really?  Unless you suspect them going home to Sweden I don't see them stopping hockey any time soon.  Neither of them have had serious recurring injuries and they both have incredible fitness levels.  No reason they can't play until late 30's - 40

Sedins may retire thinking well the organization wants to get younger, and we really don't want to be moved or signed in another market, so just retire as a Canuck.

Or

Which I could see knowing the Sedins, is take a pay cut which I know they wouldn't mind, help the team to spend more to get better players, maybe have one more shot at the cup. Also of course having a much less role 2nd line players, possibly 3rd line depending on who is still around, or new players that they were able to afford!

9 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Which I could see knowing the Sedins, is take a pay cut which I know they wouldn't mind, help the team to spend more to get better players, maybe have one more shot at the cup. Also of course having a much less role 2nd line players, possibly 3rd line depending on who is still around, or new players that they were able to afford!

I could easily seem them doing something like this. One year deals at say ~$4m each. 

I would love nothing more than to watch them win a cup in say 4'ish years as complimentary ~2nd liners with guys like Bo leading the way/doing the heavy lifting :wub:

I'd guess they'd do a 2- or 1-year deal. It really depends on how great they still are. If they don't regress, they'll sign for about the same -- roughly $7M. If they do regress a bit, I'd guess between 6 and 7 mil.

If they still want to keep playing and are producing at a reasonable rate, I say 2 years at $6 million per. Having them form the second line with players like Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, etc lead the charge offensively would be a dream. I'd love to see them win a Cup before they retire and to do that we need those young guys to develop into top players quickly.

They're not retiring in 2 years, that's almost a certainty, unless there's some sort of injury or injuries they will sign another contract. 

It all depends on where their game is. They will most likely go out East and sign for 2 years. Daniel said the travel is getting difficult now, so I think a Cup contending East Coast team makes sense. FLD Panthers will make perfect sense in 2 years. The kids will be fully developed and they'll be true contenders for the Cup. Sedins would be huge pieces that could put them over the top. Plus the weather and travel will suit them much better.

So I say they'll sign 2 year deals with the Florida Panthers and win a Cup or two. 

32 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

So I say they'll sign 2 year deals with the Florida Panthers and win a Cup or two. 

I don't see them playing for another team. They're retiring as life long Canucks whenever they decide to hang then up IMO. 

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I don't see them playing for another team. They're retiring as life long Canucks whenever they decide to hang then up IMO. 

I think they want a Cup. It will do wonders for their legacy. Only reason they won't want to move is because of family reasons. Small children in school. 

I think they'll be gone unless this team turn into a Contender in 2 years which imo is highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

I think they want a Cup. It will do wonders for their legacy. Only reason they won't want to move is because of family reasons. Small children in school. 

I think they'll be gone unless this team turn into a Contender in 2 years which imo is highly unlikely.

If they wanted the cup, they would have won it in 2011 :towel::bigblush:

Sorry, that was uncalled for. I predict they will retire as Canucks. I know you have ideas of a long term rebuild for this club, but IMO we've already spent a few seasons doing that. We'll be a solid playoff team in 2-4 years. The Sedins will be here once we're ready.

3 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

If they wanted the cup, they would have won it in 2011 :towel::bigblush:

Sorry, that was uncalled for. I predict they will retire as Canucks. I know you have ideas of a long term rebuild for this club, but IMO we've already spent a few seasons doing that. We'll be a solid playoff team in 2-4 years. The Sedins will be here once we're ready.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I hope they win a Cup here obviously but if this team isn't close in 2 years it's time to let them have glory somewhere else. 

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Florida State = Svweedish Valhalla ;) 

Yes "Spock".. Sometimes what sounds illogical , may indeed be logical . ;) 

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I hope they win a Cup here obviously but if this team isn't close in 2 years it's time to let them have glory somewhere else. 

We need 1 major player, i think the rest is lining up..

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What if they knew the new IKEA in Florida had FREE meatballs?  

Alf.. Didnt you know that our x-Canuck Dale Tallon runs the retirement and severence package team for all x-Canucks?  You get the bonus package which includes meatballs and free golf cart if you sign in the off season ;) 

Archived