The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Valeri Nichuskin

Boddy604

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I would blow my mind.  I could see him moving for younger version of hammer though.  Someone with less xp but maybe equal or better potential.

Maybe if we roll a 20 we can still get him for Hamhuis though.

But it's not so much he's being shopped, rather that if someone phoned with the right offer and asked for him - or mostly anyone for that matter - the Stars would listen.

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

We are weak on RW. Pretty sure Benning is looking at this. I wouldn't mind Hamhuis + a 2nd for Nichushkin, anything more, it is too risky of a bet on Nichushkin. Since Hamhuis seems like a safe 1st rounder at trade deadline this year. 

Wait, why are we weak on RW? We have Hansen on the top line, Vrbata here short term, but also Virtanen, Etem, Boeser, Grenier and Jasek coming up. I agree he could fit now (maybe with a Shink, McCann, Nichushkin line) but it's not like we have a massive gap their either with what we have coming in the next couple years.

In any event, the cost will be more than we want to give, even with his value a little on the lower side right now.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If Nill wants to dump him I'd be worried about picking him up.

There's too much potential to dump him now. There's gotta be something else there.

But that's just it, he's not looking to dump him. The OP presented it pretty poorly not including any of the content of the articles. What it is is that Nill would consider moving Nichushkin (among others) if the right deal was presented to him to help with their push this year. The CA article ran with that to speculate that his value is only going to go up and it might actually be at it lowest with him coming off the same surgery Shinkaruk had and not having found his form yet.

We all know what's happening with Shink this year, and how Nichushkin performed previously. There's a solid case to be made for going after him, but as I said I think it'll cost too much or we won't have the right assets we're willing to part with.

Some quotes from the CA article (from the comments) on some Dallas supporting talk:

Defending Big D: "With so much potential, a trade including Nichushkin (likely in a package) should bring a high return. He would be involved in a deal bringing a Brent Seabrook, Seth Jones, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, or Tyler Myers type of player."

Dallas News: "I don't think Jim wants to trade Valeri Nichushkin, but if the right player became available, I think Nichushkin could be in the conversation. In fact, I don't know if there are many players who would not be in the conversation if the right player became available. I believe that player is a top pairing defenseman.

If they want to solidify their D there's definitely some variation on the quality in that list. With Oduya not getting any younger and Goligoski a pending UFA, they'd want a high end, NHL-ready left side D. They have a number of younger players for the left side now but none that have stepped up that much for a top 4.

From us, I don't think Hamhuis as a rental would work, unless maybe we added a quality, young right winger to replace Nichushkin. Hutton would peak their interest though, but I think they'd ask for more and I don't think I'd give that to them anyway.

Other teams have more they could offer perhaps, like the Anaheim suggestion. Dallas doesn't need a RHD as much though, with Klingberg there (and Demers, although he's a pending UFA as well) and Honka in the wings, so they'd target a lefty I'd think. Fowler and Lindholm would be attractive, and maybe even Despres with a little extra thrown in.

I'm sure there are other options as well, but we'll see if anyone even wants to offer what Dallas is asking for.

Maybe, in a dream even, we trade Edler and get Nichushkin and Honka back? Why not, let's get crazy - Hamhuis+ for Bowey, and sign Goligoski as a UFA? Vrbata for a first from Montreal or Florida, and some extra picks for Prust, Higgins and Weber?

Ok, clearly time to sign out and take a break, I'm going trade crazy!

If Edler was to get us Nichushkin and honka I would hope Benning makes that trade. Or Nuke Oleksiak and a pick? (Deal likely at Draft due to injury unless its only 2-3 weeks then dallas can still have him for playoffs)

Target Yandle as a FA, re sign Hamhuis.

Yes you will pay Yandle more $ than Edler, but Yandle is a PP QB, Edler isnt that.

hamhuis can be retained hopefully for around 3.5m

This would give us depth at RW, Nuke with the twins. 

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Thanks. Talking trades brings out my inner nerd....;)

That was actually  a lousy analogy, but to each their own I guess :lol:

This team clearly needs to focus on acquiring defence right now, not project forwards. It would be smarter to spend our limited assets on Defenceman prospects.

6 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

That was actually  a lousy analogy, but to each their own I guess :lol:

This team clearly needs to focus on acquiring defence right now, not project forwards. It would be smarter to spend our limited assets on Defenceman prospects.

Clearly? How so? Does acquiring another defenseman put us in the "contender" category? I'd argue that adding Erik Karlsson or Shea Weber wouldn't get us there.

You should skip using the word "smart". It doesn't apply to anything you've posted here.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Clearly? How so? Does acquiring another defenseman put us in the "contender" category? I'd argue that adding Erik Karlsson or Shea Weber wouldn't get us there.

You should skip using the word "smart". It doesn't apply to anything you've posted here.

Lol moronic response. If you look at my last sentence, I clearly say Defencemen prospects. I guess Weber and Karlsson count as prospects in your world? Hilarious....

5 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Lol moronic response. If you look at my last sentence, I clearly say Defencemen prospects. I guess Weber and Karlsson count as prospects in your world? Hilarious....

Name calling. The mark of a weak argument.

Let me spell it out for you. it doesn't matter whether prospects are forwards or defense at this point. By the time the Canucks are ready to contend, it will be irrelevant as they will have ample time to address organizational needs.

At this point, it doesn't matter.

The cost would be Alex Edler, but he is currently out with an injury, an he has a no-trade clause.

Dallas also might be interested in Dan Hamhuis, if he were to re-sign with them.  I think he would.  He also has a no-trade clause.

Mike Heika said that Dallas, not Vancouver, would have to add in order to get a trade like this completed.  Both Edler and Hamhuis carry significant, difference-making value right now, while Nichushkin is still all potential.

Nichushkin is potentially a great scoring forward in the NHL, but injuries have kept him away from that so far.

Given Jim Benning's pattern of acquiring project players and NHL-ready prospects as opposed to picks so far in his trades with the Canucks, you can see some potential for a deal like this to be made.

Since Jim Nill joined the Dallas Stars, they have made great strides within NHL standings.  It doesn't take long for teams to start succeed once they set the correct path.

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Name calling. The mark of a weak argument.

Let me spell it out for you. it doesn't matter whether prospects are forwards or defense at this point. By the time the Canucks are ready to contend, it will be irrelevant as they will have ample time to address organizational needs.

At this point, it doesn't matter.

When did I name call? I must have missed it.

your projections for this team are irrelevant. Good management is looking at what the team is lacking, and spending assets to fix what's currently weak. Comparing the forward and defence prospect pools, it's clear that while there are more than a couple of promising forwards, the defence is lacking that one special prospect. So if a team is selling a promising defensive prospect, we have to jump on that, instead of continually stock-piling forwards.

10 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

When did I name call? I must have missed it.

your projections for this team are irrelevant. Good management is looking at what the team is lacking, and spending assets to fix what's currently weak. Comparing the forward and defence prospect pools, it's clear that while there are more than a couple of promising forwards, the defence is lacking that one special prospect. So if a team is selling a promising defensive prospect, we have to jump on that, instead of continually stock-piling forwards.

Or we squire the best prospects/young players available and trade done from one area to fill another. 

That was Ruperts point. It only matters that we accumulate players who can become core players or canbe used to acquire core players. We are not so deep at forward prospects that we don't take a stab at a guy like Nichushkin if he is available and the price makes sense.

Archived