The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Valeri Nichuskin

Boddy604

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

In Boddy's defense he was slated as a top 5 but his attitude turned more than a few GMs off of him

Yeah I remember before the draft Eklund said the Canucks wanted to move up to 3rd to take him. Then we got 9th overall and passed. Freaking Eklund. 

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Fair point but the REAL need on our team is talented young players who can either step in and become part of the young core or be used as a trading chip to get a comparable piece to fill a need. It is never a bad thing to accumulate assets IF the price fits with what you can afford to give.

Nichushkin to Anaheim for one of their young D. Vatanen, Lindholm, Fowler? I could maybe see this type of deal happening.

Anaheim is a very good call. Didn't even think of them. Those young guys have some experience which is what Dallas would want.

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Yeah I remember before the draft Eklund said the Canucks wanted to move up to 3rd to take him. Then we got 9th overall and passed. Freaking Eklund. 

I was happy either way but was happier with Horvat after all we'd just picked up Kassian for RW and...well you know

I would love Nuke on our team, but I just dont see us getting him. I think he is going to be very good. Is Nill possibly going to move Nuke prematurely like how Seguin? Doubt he moves Nuke unless he gets a young top 4 nhl D like the 2 i mentioned

He has had injuries no doubt, but they would be selling low on him, unless a team is willing to pay premium price for his Potential

You cant not look at his speed and size and not wish he was on your team.

12 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

We are weak on RW. Pretty sure Benning is looking at this. I wouldn't mind Hamhuis + a 2nd for Nichushkin, anything more, it is too risky of a bet on Nichushkin. Since Hamhuis seems like a safe 1st rounder at trade deadline this year. 

hes a RW but hes a left shot.  Most coaches myself included in nhl 16 lol. Prefer lefties playing on the left side :D

23 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

It's not often a 20 year old top 5 pick potentially becomes available.

Actually it's not rare, it does happen. I can think of players like Drouin, Yakupov, G.Reinhart, Nugent-Hopkins, Larsson, Johansen, Seguin etc. all being part of the trade rumours and speculation. And then later on, some players did get traded, or will get traded.

16 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Fair point but the REAL need on our team is talented young players who can either step in and become part of the young core or be used as a trading chip to get a comparable piece to fill a need. It is never a bad thing to accumulate assets IF the price fits with what you can afford to give.

Nichushkin to Anaheim for one of their young D. Vatanen, Lindholm, Fowler? I could maybe see this type of deal happening.

If two teams are searching for the same needs, I don't see them as the best trading partners. A team like Anaheim, as you said, would be a better trading partner, and it would make more sense for both teams.

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

the only thing that would stop me is the lack of d depth.  Beyond that, I think it's a fair deal.  tanev is vastly overrated here, imo.

I guess you don't follow other markets.. Tanev is very highly regarded around the league as a defensive defencman. 

It has also been said by many that the best way to get D is either free agency or developing them yourself. 

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If two teams are searching for the same needs, I don't see them as the best trading partners. A team like Anaheim, as you said, would be a better trading partner, and it would make more sense for both teams.

I don't disagree at all. My point was purely from a Vancouver perspective that a young forward of that potential would still be a worthwhile asset to go after if the price is something we can live with. Even though organizationally we clearly need D more.

30 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Why are people suggesting we should trade a defenceman for a forward? We already have enough depth up front, and not enough depth on the blueline. Our need is a defenceman, not a forward.

Yes we need defensemen but We don't need any more bottom pairing defensemen. And we know the price we'd have to pay for a top pairing guy. So it's just out of the question for us to trade for one as it would require one of our young grade A prospect to go other way. 

Forwards however are at a surplus and one with Nichushkins potential doesn't become available every day so if he's on the table JB will take a good hard look at the possibilities.

As JB has stated they will try to draft and develop defensemen rather than going after big name FAs. 

55 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I should chime in, people who keep saying Bowey for Hamhuis (and yes I believe we could add to Hamhuis and obtain bowey still just not a 1-1 trade)

Recognize that With Washington's russian connection, Bowey for Nicushkin makes a ton of sense, just not experienced enough to sway Nill I think

Except WSH has zero need for another young forward.  They have a need for a 4-6 left handed defenceman. 

1 hour ago, Boddy604 said:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14756466/nhl-central-division-buyers-sellers-trade-deadline

ESPN's Custance reporting Valeri Nichuskin may be available as the Stars are seeking help on the blueline.

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/2/11/valeri-nichushkin-is-available-should-the-canucks-yes

J.D. Burke also reporting the same thing.

A player like Nichuskin would take more to secure than just a rental like Hamhuis (especially considering Hamhuis would just come back to Vancouver anyways if given the chance) but this is the kind of guy that's right up Benning's alley.

A highly touted prospect that has slipped down the depth chart a bit due to injury and has lower value right now than he probably ever will again.

Listed as a 6'4 205 LB 20 year old RW, he's basically everything the Canucks are looking for when Vrbata is gone.

Not sure how much it would cost but it's definitely an attractive idea.

VAN
Nichuskin

DAL
Hamhuis
Kenins

59 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

It's not often a 20 year old top 5 pick potentially becomes available. If you could get him for something like Hamhuis + Grenier + a 2nd, you take that deal and run. Fast. Then resign Hamhuis back next season.

Nichuskin - 10th overall - 2013 Entry Draft

Archived