The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Valeri Nichuskin

Boddy604

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Except WSH has zero need for another young forward.  They have a need for a 4-6 left handed defenceman. 

Not saying it happens just saying that that is a far more likely trade than people hoping we could get bowey 1-1.

Also missed my secondary post agreeing that Anaheim has far more D men than we could offer and far more need for VN than Washington does

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not saying it happens just saying that that is a far more likely trade than people hoping we could get bowey 1-1.

Also missed my secondary post agreeing that Anaheim has far more D men than we could offer and far more need for VN than Washington does

I think most people were assuming it would be a Hamhuis + prospect and/or Pick for Bowey which I’m comfortable doing.

I agree with Ana making sense, they were supposedly in on Drouin until he pulled his pouting stunt.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

McCann for Nichuskin. 

Would you do it?

Tough one. Really depends on where the Canucks plan on using McCann going forward and where they see him fitting in. With Horvat, Sutter, and Sedin in the center ranks trading McCann is not outside the realm of possibility. I doubt it though at least right now.

I would probably strongly consider it though.

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There's other ways to get D than to trade a highly skilled young forward that you only drafted 2 years ago.

Not high end D....I think it's more of Nill realizing that he has to part with a good piece to get a good piece.  Don't think he is just looking for depth 5/6th guy.

I think I'd be up for Nichuskin. I mean if we are going to be doing some sort of rebuild, I think its easier to draft D-men than to trade for them, the price for a good D-man is so high. So if you can trade a piece like a Tanev that many people think is our most solid D-man (Questionable, but its a position that is held by many) then all I see is us getting better draft choices and the ability to take D prospects in the draft or to trade down if the best D player isn't the BPA and we'd get more assets. VN has pretty good upside, and I think its a gamble, but a good one to think that his value will appreciate and not depreciate. So more valuable assets for future trading isn't ever really a bad idea.

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

McCann for Nichuskin. 

Would you do it?

Tough call. Nichuskin is NHL ready and has size. McCann is still a big project. If Benning plans to keep Vey, could be a long time before McCann really gets a spot on the roster after this season and by the time he does, he'll be competing with Cassels, Gaunce, and Zalewski (plus whatever else we aquire)

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't disagree at all. My point was purely from a Vancouver perspective that a young forward of that potential would still be a worthwhile asset to go after if the price is something we can live with. Even though organizationally we clearly need D more.

Exactly. We're not in a position to contend for the Cup at this point, nor will we be in the near future. It therefore makes sense to stockpile assets that will be core players when the team is ready to contend, whether they play forward or defense.

It' like the start of a chess match. You're not thinking about checkmate, you'e thinking about positioning.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Exactly. We're not in a position to contend for the Cup at this point, nor will we be in the near future. It therefore makes sense to stockpile assets that will be core players when the team is ready to contend, whether they play forward or defense.

It' like the start of a chess match. You're not thinking about checkmate, you'e thinking about positioning.

That is a great analogy.

Given that the value should be fairly similar, would you rather go after Drouin or Nichuskin? 

Also, I would trade McCann for Nichuskin.

I love the way Horvat plays, and despite not being the proto-typical number 1 centre, I think he'll fill that roll once Henrik retires...until/unless we get a true big fish to play that role. Sutter as number 2 centre, leaving McCann at number 3? Gotta think he's overqualified for that role.  

Archived