The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biggest thing missed this year is....

Chris for mascot

On 16 February 2016 at 7:18 AM, Chris for mascot said:

I knew and could understand a rebuild was coming but man the lack of try is just awful

Why do people always see defeats as lack of try? Seriously.

The Bruins were beaten 8-2 two weeks ago in Boston. I guess they weren't trying either.

Why can't people see we are a team with old (some badly off form) vets and 7 youngsters, none of whom were top 3 picks, who lack experience and are all bar Jake and Bo on the "light" side.

Add to that the fact we have now lost the mainstay of our defence (Edler) and one of the key pieces of our attack(Sutter) for most of the season.

We are further handicapped by not having the "bridge" generation of 22-25 year olds who would help us transition due to incompetent drafting by the previous regime. The fact is JB is trying to do this too quickly, Richardson, Matthias and Bieksa were cut from this team too quickly and so we are suffering the consequences.

However it is what it is and I doubt if any coach faced with the above would do any better so maybe we should take comfort in knowing a high pick is on the cards and stop ripping on a crippled and inexperienced team.

Biggest thing missing this year appears to be vets that can perform on a nightly basis. I would excluded the Sedins and Hansen from that statement as they have been decent for the most part. Add in the injuries and the inexperience of the youth (although they are GREAT to watch and deserve to be here), one would have to reach VERY far to think that simply adding Kevin Bieksa to "that" mix would amount to anything more than a small hill of beans.

:)

On 16/02/2016 at 11:08 PM, Chris for mascot said:

Does anyone else feel the way I do, That the biggest thing missed this year is Kevin. I mean I feel this team misses his voice in the room more so than anyone is letting on. Not only that his leadership on the ice is dearly missed. He could always spark the team when needed. I know he was getting long in the tooth, but I feel not having a player replace Kevin's role on this team is what is missing the most, and we should never have moved him

..kevin_bieksa_by_spoon127-d3iwumo.pngkevin_bieksa_wallpaper_by_sofa_fish.png

Not even remotely.  He was 4 years past his best before date.  Staying healthy is the biggest missing piece this season.

11 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Why do people always see defeats as lack of try? Seriously.

The Bruins were beaten 8-2 two weeks ago in Boston. I guess they weren't trying either.

Why can't people see we are a team with old (some badly off form) vets and 7 youngsters, none of whom were top 3 picks, who lack experience and are all bar Jake and Bo on the "light" side.

Add to that the fact we have now lost the mainstay of our defence (Edler) and one of the key pieces of our attack(Sutter) for most of the season.

We are further handicapped by not having the "bridge" generation of 22-25 year olds who would help us transition due to incompetent drafting by the previous regime. The fact is JB is trying to do this too quickly, Richardson, Matthias and Bieksa were cut from this team too quickly and so we are suffering the consequences.

However it is what it is and I doubt if any coach faced with the above would do any better so maybe we should take comfort in knowing a high pick is on the cards and stop ripping on a crippled and inexperienced team.

Did you watch the bruins kings game or just see the score?  I watched it until it was 7-2.  They looked exactly like we have the last two games except unfortunately they played the kings and not the leafs or wild.  

According to core players on the team they didn't put in the effort or the pride.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=45219

This statement is especially intriguing because:

a.) your'e expressing your opinion as fact.

b.)  you're disagreeing with the decisions made by Jim bending and co. because your hockey knowledge and professional nhl mgmt experience makes you correct in your assessment of those three players and their value to the franchise at the time.

c.)  you're being ridiculously hypocritical with this comment as there are dozens of posts composed of condescending tirades towards other posters whom you accuse of doing exactly as you are in this instance.

I think our biggest issue, has been all the injuries to crucial players on our team. That and post xmas Shink, Gaunce, pedan, should have been brought in. I love Jake and Mcann, but gaunce and shink, earned At least 10 games up here to see if they were ready yet. After we clean house, at the tdl and you are allowed to carry more roster players I hope to see them get a chance.Heck bring Subban up for a bit. He can't be worse then Webber  lol.

Who knows maybe we play better, or At least we can gauge how far along they are. I hope individuallythey do well, But please lets just play out the string have some fun with the kids,and dream of a top 3 pick, plus whatever additional  1sts we can get for hammer, Hanson plus,would be needed to achive that. And lets see how the off season plays out.

If they fire Willie I hope it is because We had no choice. regarding Travis Green. I think having a guy who knows our kids, and plus by all accounts runs a great system down in Utica.To  lose him would suck.

Onething I hear a lot is how bad JB sucks at trades I  dunno maybe the prust one wasn't so hot., but you gotta figure kass with his off ice track record was a red flag, and the habs just waived him right away,they never even gave hime a chance to show he had made strides, so really it was Prust for a 5th, which we will prolly recoup,at the tdl, same with higgens. I was under the impression trades areeasier to make once a guy is in the minors, since he wouldn't have to get called up until if or when the team needed him

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

Did you watch the bruins kings game or just see the score?  I watched it until it was 7-2.  They looked exactly like we have the last two games except unfortunately they played the kings and not the leafs or wild.  

According to core players on the team they didn't put in the effort or the pride.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=45219

This statement is especially intriguing because:

a.) your'e expressing your opinion as fact.

b.)  you're disagreeing with the decisions made by Jim bending and co. because your hockey knowledge and professional nhl mgmt experience makes you correct in your assessment of those three players and their value to the franchise at the time.

c.)  you're being ridiculously hypocritical with this comment as there are dozens of posts composed of condescending tirades towards other posters whom you accuse of doing exactly as you are in this instance.

Yes I did watch the whole game right up to the final horn. And actually both games were similar in as much as both teams WERE trying but some nights it just doesn't happen. These nights are made worse when everything the other team does is charmed.

"we won some tight games and big games, and then we were facing some challenges, or some teams that are on top of the league, and we didn’t follow up with the performances that we had previous games. That’s, again, tonight’s case. So yeah, it was embarrassing.”

He is not saying they didn't try he is implying they are not good enough to the beat top teams, of course that is embarrassing for a team like Boston.

By the way, what else could the Bruins say? They were beaten 9-2 at home. It's not like they were icing 6/7 rookies, or they were without their star D, or they were missing their 1st line winger for most of the season.

You seem to have totally ignored my point which was that a defeat no matter how large does not necessarily point to lack of effort. You say you watched the Bruins game, are you actually saying they looked like they were not trying? I certainly didn't see that.

Their goalie who was eventually pulled. I don't see him saying anything about not trying do you?

“But as a goalie, I’ve had those nights this year, past years, when the puck’s not bouncing your way. We had a couple tough bounces today, and all of a sudden, it’s 9-2.”

As for your last paras. Let me say this.

Exactly which part is not factual? Are you seriously saying that putting 3 players (who are not top 3 draft picks and have little or no AHL experience) in the team at once is commensurate with getting good results or

Putting two raw rookies, one with a season mostly on the 4th line with good vets and one with less than one combined season NHL experience on the 2nd line is commensurate with getting good results?

You don't think loading an already leaky and "small" defence, overstretched by injury, with such a burden is not going too fast?

The fact is contained in the comparison of last season with this season. We are already trending down and lying in 7th bottom 3 points above 2nd bottom.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really think JB had much of a choice if he was going to move this rebuild along but nevertheless it is still an almighty gamble and if this, and last year's draft picks don't pan out and quickly we might be looking at a long time in the wilderness.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Yes I did watch the whole game right up to the final horn. And actually both games were similar in as much as both teams WERE trying but some nights it just doesn't happen. These nights are made worse when everything the other team does is charmed.

"we won some tight games and big games, and then we were facing some challenges, or some teams that are on top of the league, and we didn’t follow up with the performances that we had previous games. That’s, again, tonight’s case. So yeah, it was embarrassing.”

He is not saying they didn't try he is implying they are not good enough to the beat top teams, of course that is embarrassing for a team like Boston.

By the way, what else could the Bruins say? They were beaten 9-2 at home. It's not like they were icing 6/7 rookies, or they were without their star D, or they were missing their 1st line winger for most of the season.

You seem to have totally ignored my point which was that a defeat no matter how large does not necessarily point to lack of effort. You say you watched the Bruins game, are you actually saying they looked like they were not trying? I certainly didn't see that.

Their goalie who was eventually pulled. I don't see him saying anything about not trying do you?

“But as a goalie, I’ve had those nights this year, past years, when the puck’s not bouncing your way. We had a couple tough bounces today, and all of a sudden, it’s 9-2.”

As for your last paras. Let me say this.

Exactly which part is not factual? Are you seriously saying that putting 3 players (who are not top 3 draft picks and have little or no AHL experience) in the team at once is commensurate with getting good results or

Putting two raw rookies, one with a season mostly on the 4th line with good vets and one with less than one combined season NHL experience on the 2nd line is commensurate with getting good results?

You don't think loading an already leaky and "small" defence, overstretched by injury, with such a burden is not going too fast?

The fact is contained in the comparison of last season with this season. We are already trending down and lying in 7th bottom 3 points above 2nd bottom.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really think JB had much of a choice if he was going to move this rebuild along but nevertheless it is still an almighty gamble and if this, and last year's draft picks don't pan out and quickly we might be looking at a long time in the wilderness.

What does any of this have to do with your statement, opinion, presented as fact that we are worse off in relation to the loss of Kevin bieksa, Shawn Matthias, brad Richardson?

i will give you brad Richardson, in that he did help this team, although he was frequently out of the lineup for extended and indefinite amounts of time due to some virus the doctors couldn't seem to control.  He was a ufa and is now signed for two years at nearly 2.1mil.

jb extended Dorsett to a deal that has him at a 2.6 cap hit and brought in Prust who is at 2.5.  Considering Richardson was a fourth line C that puts the fourth line at over 7million.  Silly.  

Jb went after cracknell in the off season which is a far more friendly cap move at one year 575k$.  He liked cracknell for his size and proven playoff performance.  Imo it doesn't make sense to have 7mil on the fourth line or high/term cap hits in the bottom six during a rebuild phase.

letting Richardson go and bringing in cracknell also opened a door for a prospect in McCann to come in.  Based on his pre season play he earned his spot and the fourth line is the perfect place for him to come in and play low minutes along side of dorsett which has proven to be helpful based on horvats decelopment.  Is that situation not better than keeping Richardson if you a te trying to integrate youth for the future?

that being said I would rather have Richardson based on his cap hit and stats compared to dorsett or Prust but that is admittedly hindsight  now.

There is a reaon why Shawn Matthias is only signed to a one year deal with the leafs who also signed booth and raymond......the leafs can have him at 2.5 and his 17 points.  Shawn Matthias did nothing to justify a signing this year. He was a non factor after last years trade deadline.  For a guy of his size, he played like a jam tart.  Jb did the right thing by letting him go.

kevin bieksa, God love him, was past his expiry date and at some point mgmt has to start unloading vets and at some point other young players in the room need to provide the character.  This team does not miss Kevin bieksas play right now.  Being a good guy in the room isn't getting us points right now.

i went get into a pissing match on wordings from a Boston article.  If you think our "try" level has been acceptable lately, then carry on.

Archived