The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biggest thing missed this year is....

Chris for mascot

8 hours ago, Heretic said:

As much as I liked Juice, I agree with Boddy604.

The biggest thing missed this year.....is not all fans were prepared for this season.

I do agree with you, but I also think that what is bothering fans is not that the team is losing but in the way that they are losing. If they had worked their tail off last night or against the Leafs and still lost I don't think anyone would come down hard on them.

Losing is OK if you know that you gave it all - then it's just the matter of the other team having played better than you. If you lose, and you look like you just don't give a hoot (and it is obvious to everyone) and you just coast the whole game then fans get mad. And rightly so.

These guys are not playing for Vancouver, They are not playing for Kamloops. And they are definitely not playing for BC. Heck, they are not even playing for their paychecks (at least not earning it)! Their marketing has to come up with some other word choices for next season's campaign.

Part of the "culture change" that Benning talked so much about, involved shipping Kevin Bieksa out of here.

I have not been privy to any insider information, or anything like this, but it just seemed to me that there was a bit of a frat house, cliquey, everything-is-a-joke culture that revolved around the core of this team.  The twitter.  The photobombs.  The cheeky smirks during interviews.  I could see this behavior manifesting for years in multiple media from several now departed team members.  Maybe its cute.  Maybe its funny.  But it is surely not professional.

And for better or worse, it was cut out of the team like the perceived cancer it was.

9 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

I miss Juice a lot, but it was time to move on. His play had declined to the point where it was hurting us when he was on ice. He's not doing much better in Anaheim either. Our team just isn't good this year. Simple as that. We're in a rebuild, it happens.

So, instead, we kept Edler, Weber and picked up Bartkowski?  All the while knowing that Hamhuis is getting older.  Unless Bieksa requested a trade -- like Kesler -- I just don't agree with what was done.  Sure, he was vulnerable last year in the playoffs... but so was half the team... moreover, we made the playoffs!  We replaced Bieksa with Bartkowski!!  So that we could run away from Ferland's forecheck more effectively... assuming we'd play a Calgary style team in the playoffs... lol.  We kept Weber rather than Corrado -- not a good idea when building with youth.  It is as if mgt thought a soft pp guy like Weber was more useful/better than a young guy who could prove himself.  Connaughton is playing now, Corrado looks like he might work out... This team has thought too short-term for too long.  Even Linden can't seem to say out loud what he must be thinking, "this is a rebuild." 

I believe management is "missing" out on an opportunity to allow young players to showcase their talent or lack thereof. Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier, Pedan, etc. should have all had at least 5-10 games of playing time in the NHL by now. We all knew this season was a write off by December so it would have made sense to slot some youth in. See what you have, give the kids some confidence that they are in the clubs future plans, and most of all, show fans that this horrible season served a purpose.

12 hours ago, Heretic said:

As much as I liked Juice, I agree with Boddy604.

The biggest thing missed this year.....is not all fans were prepared for this season.

I think low effort is what fans were not expecting. I knew it would be a tough year , but I expected them to go down swinging 

16 hours ago, FilthyRich said:

Scoring.

Heart.

Physicality. 

Mattias.

Richardson. 

Physicality? Mattias? What???? 5 goals, 16 points, 58 hits. 50 games

Burrows: 7 goals 16 points 58 hits. 54 games.

Virtanen: 31 games, 6 points 75 hits.

Mattias is big, but does not play big, nor as physical as he should be. If he was we would have kept him instead of Cracknell. 

Bloody Hell, Kassian is just getting his stuff together and has 42 hits in 13 games....

18 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

It was and now that we are doing it half of CDC is freaking out. FFS people   GET A GRIP. Rebuilding is never as easy as you want it to be.

I think if management commited to a rebuild instead of whatever a retool is , most fans would feel more comfortable. They don't seem to have an actual plan. Maybe they do and just don't want to divulge. Either way , I won't ever stop Bejng a fan. Just might be 5 more years before I'm happy to be 

16 hours ago, gameburn said:

So, instead, we kept Edler, Weber and picked up Bartkowski?  All the while knowing that Hamhuis is getting older.  Unless Bieksa requested a trade -- like Kesler -- I just don't agree with what was done.  Sure, he was vulnerable last year in the playoffs... but so was half the team... moreover, we made the playoffs!  We replaced Bieksa with Bartkowski!!  So that we could run away from Ferland's forecheck more effectively... assuming we'd play a Calgary style team in the playoffs... lol.  We kept Weber rather than Corrado -- not a good idea when building with youth.  It is as if mgt thought a soft pp guy like Weber was more useful/better than a young guy who could prove himself.  Connaughton is playing now, Corrado looks like he might work out... This team has thought too short-term for too long.  Even Linden can't seem to say out loud what he must be thinking, "this is a rebuild." 

Keeping Bieksa is the same mentality as keeping Burrows. You love for them to stay but it's time to move on. Oh and he's also getting older.

The reason Bartkowski was picked up and Weber was kept because not only their contract is cheap, but they're stop gaps until our prospects are ready.

If Canucks didn't signed Bartkowski, resigned Weber, and if Hutton wasn't ready in the beginning of the season, it would have been:
Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - ???
Sbisa - ???

Corrado just had to go. For him to be outplayed by a rookie who played just 1 pro game was shocking. The funny thing is, he's only seeing playing time in TO because they have no one else to play defense.

Connauton was let go before Linden was even hired....

Archived