The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would we of had a cup in 2011 if we signed PTO Brendan Morrison

C.m.sawers

6 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

Maybe if Naslund and Bertuzzi were also on the team. :P 

2011 was our chance. Unless we can get a potential franchise player like Matthews this year, it will be hard for us to be as dominant as we were back then. Also our defence has been embarrassing at best.

Yup.  In '99 we got two franchise guys in the Twins.  Matthews is one, but we need one on D too.  Which of those big three D coming out of this draft do you think has the best chance of becoming a franchise D?

1 hour ago, C.m.sawers said:

In 2011 we had 2 PTO Brendan Morrison and owen Nolan and we ended up releasing them. Owen nolan ended up retiring but Brendan Morrison went onto a very productive season in Calgary with 43 pts in 63 games which would have been 7th in scoring on the 2011 Canucks all for a league minimal pay Morrison was seeking. We could have used that added offense against Boston in the finals not to mention Morrison was useful on the pk and his leadership could of sure helped. Im not saying if we signed Morrison that year we would have won the cup but i can't help but think it was a huge mistake not to sign him and he could have helped the canucks. He would have been the perfect 2nd pp center with kelser on the 1st pp with the sedins and that may of resulted in a more deadly pp. We had a rookie Cody Hodgson play 4th line center that year in the playoffs and i can't help but think Morrison would have brought more to the table. Anyways my first time posting and i just wanted to see what other people thought on this since I've never heard much talk of letting Morrison go that year. 

I think it's possible he could have made a difference. BMO is one of my all time favorites and don't think he got enough credit on the wce 

Good question  though op 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  In '99 we got two franchise guys in the Twins.  Matthews is one, but we need one on D too.  Which of those big three D coming out of this draft do you think has the best chance of becoming a franchise D?

I would be the least bit surprised to see Miller get traded at the draft for a pick (along with maybe Subban and/or Zalewski) for one of those high picks. Something tells me Benning has a trick up his sleeve for this draft.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Matthews would be ideal. The scouts say Matthews might be as good or better than McDavid. Apparently he's definitely better than Eichel.

Are you referring to Chychrun, Juolevi, and Sergachev? It's hard but IMO Chychrun has the best chance at being that franchise D. But I'd be happy with a Juolevi or Sergachev. 

Such a deep draft! I hope we get another 1st round pick before the TDL.

Archived