The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

On February 22, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Johnny Torts said:

Bae will be playing in our top 6 for years to come, but a Calgary team with both gaudreau and Shinkaruk(if he lives up to his potential). scary.

You're right, scary for Calgary, cuz virtanen is going to run them through the boards

• Upvote 1

Ben Kuzma @benkuzma 22h22 hours ago

Granlund: "Of course there are hard feelings - I didn't play much in Calgary. #Canucks

Vancouver CanucksVerified account @VanCanucks 23h23 hours ago

"His compete level is really high, he's got a real good shot and his skillset is great. I'm happy he's here" - Baertschi, on Granlund.

Edited by Stierlitz

Granlund's NHL Comparables currently:

Matt Nieto SJ

William karlsson ANA

JT Miller NYR

Jean Gabriel Pageau OTT

Nino Niederreiter MIN

Beau Bennett PIT

Calle Jankrok NSH

Teemu Pulkkinen DET

Peter Holland TOR

Alex Chiasson OTT

Marcus Foligno BUF

Eric Haula MIN

Tomas Jurco DET

Zemgus Girgensons BUF

Teuvo Teravainen CHI

Jordan Martinook ARI

Seth Griffith BOS

He projects to end up around what ever these guys end up so there. Could be worse right?

I'll post a list of prospects that he has better numbers than later so people can get over the name thing.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Derp... said:

Matt Nieto SJ

William karlsson ANA

JT Miller NYR

Jean Gabriel Pageau OTT

Nino Niederreiter MIN

Beau Bennett PIT

Calle Jankrok NSH

Teemu Pulkkinen DET

Peter Holland TOR

Alex Chiasson OTT

Marcus Foligno BUF

Eric Haula MIN

Tomas Jurco DET

Zemgus Girgensons BUF

Teuvo Teravainen CHI

Jordan Martinook ARI

Seth Griffith BOS

He projects to end up around what ever these guys end up so there. Could be worse right?

I'll post a list of prospects that he has better numbers than later so people can get over the name thing.

I am very okay with this.

Edited by thejazz97

23 hours ago, Derp... said:

Matt Nieto SJ

William karlsson ANA

JT Miller NYR

Jean Gabriel Pageau OTT

Nino Niederreiter MIN

Beau Bennett PIT

Calle Jankrok NSH

Teemu Pulkkinen DET

Peter Holland TOR

Alex Chiasson OTT

Marcus Foligno BUF

Eric Haula MIN

Tomas Jurco DET

Zemgus Girgensons BUF

Teuvo Teravainen CHI

Jordan Martinook ARI

Seth Griffith BOS

How/where did you come up with the list? Yourself? If so, did you apply some technique or just based on your observations?

13 hours ago, khay said:

How/where did you come up with the list? Yourself? If so, did you apply some technique or just based on your observations?

Basic comparison of guys around the same age who have similar ppg as Granlund. No advanced stats needed as there are too many variables from a small sample size. Some are probably outliers but points are points regardless of qoc corsi etc. Someone still has to beat the goalie.

• Upvote 1

Was pretty sad originally with the trade but the more I learn about this guy, the more I like. I think most of my frustration with the trade came from years of anticipation to see Hunter hit the ice for the Canucks and never seeing that come to fruition. His personality is infectious and that quick strike offense is easy to get excited about. But Benning is a scout first and foremost, and when I take a step back and look at the trade I think this was a smart move. We get a player with comparable AHL success and although there's seemingly a higher ceiling for Shinkaruk, our organization isn't in a position to have one of our top prospects bust. Granlund looks like a surefire young player, great on the third line and can move up the lineup if need be. Once we have a better base of young players I think we'll see a little more willingness to have those high risk/high reward type prospects in the pool.

This one may bite us in the ass, but I trust in Benning's scouting and I think at worst, it will just be a nibble. Looked great in the first game with us and hope to see more great play from Granlund for years to come!

• Upvote 1

Definitely has a 200ft game,  sometimes mistake him for a Dman.. But grounds his game from deep for that 1st pass from his own corner for quick transition out to his wingers. Once they get used to him, it's sure to translate in some nice 2 on 1,s  up over centre ice.  It's refreshing to see a Centre man rove deep to help his D.  2 thumbs up on this one.

18 hours ago, Honey-Badger-Hansen said:

Was pretty sad originally with the trade but the more I learn about this guy, the more I like. I think most of my frustration with the trade came from years of anticipation to see Hunter hit the ice for the Canucks and never seeing that come to fruition. His personality is infectious and that quick strike offense is easy to get excited about. But Benning is a scout first and foremost, and when I take a step back and look at the trade I think this was a smart move. We get a player with comparable AHL success and although there's seemingly a higher ceiling for Shinkaruk, our organization isn't in a position to have one of our top prospects bust. Granlund looks like a surefire young player, great on the third line and can move up the lineup if need be. Once we have a better base of young players I think we'll see a little more willingness to have those high risk/high reward type prospects in the pool.

This one may bite us in the ass, but I trust in Benning's scouting and I think at worst, it will just be a nibble. Looked great in the first game with us and hope to see more great play from Granlund for years to come!

Felt the same as yourself. I would add Vey to that conversation. He doesn't seem very popular on here but I find him a pretty tantalizing player. How many times did he set up Etem last night? Vey's biggest issue is d-zone coverage and his improved strength is obvious this season over last. I am not arguing that he will survive the Canuck rebuild as the depth might force him out. My point in all this is that IMHO Vey confirms Benning's ability to scout talent. In no way would I question the use of a 2nd Round pick to get Vey.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Felt the same as yourself. I would add Vey to that conversation. He doesn't seem very popular on here but I find him a pretty tantalizing player. How many times did he set up Etem last night? Vey's biggest issue is d-zone coverage and his improved strength is obvious this season over last. I am not arguing that he will survive the Canuck rebuild as the depth might force him out. My point in all this is that IMHO Vey confirms Benning's ability to scout talent. In no way would I question the use of a 2nd Round pick to get Vey.

I agree vey is much improved over last season, still needs to grow a more In order to become a impact NHL player

22 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I agree vey is much improved over last season, still needs to grow a more In order to become a impact NHL player

I believe Vey weighs more than Baer. That said I would suggest that Baer uses the body in a more effective manner. I don't know who got through to Baer but his game has improved faster than Vey. That said I do think Vey handles the puck better in tight. They both set up team mates extremely well. Baer's shot hits the net more often.

Posted by Steve Ewen in the Province blog today:

Coach Willie Desjardins is promising line changes. Horvat moves from centring Jake Virtanen and Sven Baertschi to skating between Linden Vey and Emerson Etem. Markus Granlund, who had been with Vey and Etem, takes over Horvat’s spot with Virtanen and Baertschi. Baertschi and Granlund had played together during their time in the Calgary Flames’ system.

“Yeah, maybe,” Baertschi said when asked if he can help the adjustment for Granlund, who is playing his third game Vancouver tonight, “but he’s done a great job the last couple of games. He’s been really good.

“I like his speed and his grit and he’s going to the net really well. I like his playmaking abilities. I like a lot about his game. I love his game actually.  Having a chance to go out there with him is something exciting for me.”