The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

I just hope the plans don't entail trading away McCann. Granlund coming in shouldn't make McCann expendable.

I hope JB is creating a Boston-like forward group here, with so many two-way centers who can also play on the wing. That was a huge key part of their 2011 Cup win. We can move forward with Horvat, McCann, Granlund as well as Sutter and an ageing Henrik down the middle. That versatility is massive in the playoffs as part of the matchup game.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I just hope the plans don't entail trading away McCann. Granlund coming in shouldn't make McCann expendable.

I hope JB is creating a Boston-like forward group here, with so many two-way centers who can also play on the wing. That was a huge key part of their 2011 Cup win. We can move forward with Horvat, McCann, Granlund as well as Sutter and an ageing Henrik down the middle. That versatility is massive in the playoffs as part of the matchup game.

I doubt Benning moves McCann unless its a deal tjat blows his socks off.  That was his first few picks that stamped his mold on the team.  Benning eill be pstient with McCann.

But i also agree, its easier to teach a center to play wing than vice versa.  When key injuries occur its harder to fill center positions and having a large wealth of them on the roster that can readily jump into any role is key.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I would say we are building a Boston model forward core. Lots of size, but more skill and speed injected throughout:

Baertschi: Skill, speed, vision

Horvat: Skill, speed, vision, size, shot, toughness, defense

Virtanen: Speed, shot, toughness, size, hitting, mean

McCann: Skill, speed, vision, shot, mean, defense

Boeser: Skill, shot, vision

Granlund: Skill, vision, defense

Gaunce: Speed, size, defense

Cassels: Size, vision, defense

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

******** - McCann - Boeser

Gaunce - Granlund - Cassels

Thats a very effective, big, defensive but offensively capable top-6. I feel like that 3rd line could win us a tight Playoff series.

10 hours ago, WTG said:

5 shot attempts in 4 games.

Yeah, I'm not feeling this trade at all. Hope he manages to do something that impresses me.

how many different ways do you need to say you didn't like trading away shinkaruk?

• Upvote 2

haven't really observed Granlund's play as of late. but again. Shinkurak and Granlund are two different type of players. Granlund will maybe never amount to more than anything but a third liner. we don't know what we have yet. I'd give Granlund a full season next season before drawing conclusions about what we have. if he explodes into a second/third line centre/winger. then maybe we have something. but he's still young. he's a different type of player than even say Bäertschi. and probably doesn't even have the offensive ceiling that Bäertschi has or Shinkurak (if he fulfills his potential) has. but that's ok. we can't have every player like that on our roster. we need different types of players on the roster to round out the team. a team full of offense but no physical element or grinding element to the team will lose a playoff series. they won't get very far. a team that doesn't have defensive forwards who can help kill penalties and defend a lead won't win many games. but a team that doesn't have high ceiling type players who know how to score and accumulate points won't win too many playoff games or games in general. there's a mix. we need all kinds of players on this team moving forward in order to be successful. that's how I see it at least. Granlund isn't an offensive force. nor do I think he was brought in for that. he could be a very good fourth line centre. or an excellent third line centre. or a decent two way top six player. it's too early to tell right now. 

7 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

how many different ways do you need to say you didn't like trading away shinkaruk?

6 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Apparently he needs to say it after every game:rolleyes:

I'll gladly eat crow if he does well. I want him to do well.

I am still salty about the fact I had to scrap a whole project because of this god damn random ass trade <_<<_<

I'll eventually stop talking about it I promsies.

• Upvote 4

He looked pretty good on the PP against the Kings.  We have guys now like him, Vey, and Baertschi that can be very dangerous when given some space and time.  Have to remember he's still very young -- just a year older than Shinkaruk, and has played the equivalent of just over a year in the NHL, less than Bo, Sven, or Vey.  Like McCann, Boeser, and Baertschi, he has a high hockey sense and IQ.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

He looked pretty good on the PP against the Kings.  We have guys now like him, Vey, and Baertschi that can be very dangerous when given some space and time.  Have to remember he's still very young -- just a year older than Shinkaruk, and has played the equivalent of just over a year in the NHL, less than Bo, Sven, or Vey.  Like McCann, Boeser, and Baertschi, he has a high hockey sense and IQ.

I guess what irritated me the most about Vey is that Desjardins gifted him a spot on the roster it seems and he was favoured. didn't seem like Vey earned his ice time. it was unlike the era of Vigneault where everyone has to earn their ice time. loved that for the most part about him. and missed that about him. 

I wasn't thrilled about the trade when I heard it, but am willing to give it some time to see how it pans out.  I do like Granlund's ability to move the puck and make some decent plays.  Like McCann/Shinks, he's physically weak and tends to get pushed around.  Hopefully the Canuck staff can help him improve in this area.

On 3/9/2016 at 11:20 PM, N4ZZY said:

I guess what irritated me the most about Vey is that Desjardins gifted him a spot on the roster it seems and he was favoured. didn't seem like Vey earned his ice time. it was unlike the era of Vigneault where everyone has to earn their ice time. loved that for the most part about him. and missed that about him. 

Vey was 'gifted' a spot for two key reasons.

1-A lack of better options.

2-Regardless of what you think of Vey's ability/skill set, 9/10 times WD put him on the ice, he knew what he was going to get.

It's really that simple. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Vey was 'gifted' a spot for two key reasons.

1-A lack of better options.

2-Regardless of what you think of Vey's ability/skill set, 9/10 times WD put him on the ice, he knew what he was going to get.

It's really that simple. 

and it completely ignores the fact that Vey has actually been pretty good.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, wshdrvvn said:

and it completely ignores the fact that Vey has actually been pretty good.

He was decent last year and by no means am I poo-pooing his year but he didn't set the world on fire either.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get a read on this guy yet. Will watch him over the remaining games and see what kind of tools he has.

Right now he seems just like a slightly better Linden Vey. Small and soft. Has some good skill with good  Hockey IQ and vision makes an effort defensively.

Good passer and pretty good puck skills.

Doesn't seem to play with much intensity and battle level has an average shot not the greatest skater like Vey but has adequate speed.