The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

You obviously chose to ignore this part. "I truly believe that Benning read the situation perfectly. He knew they weren't going to make a push for the playoffs when Hamhuis had his face smashed by a puck etc. and decided to try as many prospects as possible"  Not only did we play more rookies after that, but Willie made some very questionable decisions as far as player usage goes.

It seems like the vets knew we weren't going to make it and started phoning it in. As for your excuses on behalf of the players, many players played injured. That's a crappy excuse, as is poor little Vrbata not getting to play where he wanted therefore it's somehow okay to suck arse. The vets are supposed to be professional and lead by example. Prust, Vrbata, and Higgins definitely did not do that.

You clearly are trying to appear like the nice sane reasonable one, but the old tinfoil hat is a sign of weak reasoning skills imo.

Also this is a Granlund thread if you want to discuss this it should be in a more appropriate place.

Go Granny Go!!!

I probably quoted the wrong poster.  You were agreeing with this

3 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

No way to know at this point. Shinkaruk hasn't put the time in the gym to make me think he can play in the NHL. His arms are like pipe cleaners and he doesn't have the elusiveness to get him out of trouble. He took some hits last year that made him look very fragile. I'm a fan, but I think that it was a good idea to sell high on Shinkaruk. Granlund is basically the same player just a year older and plays C/LW. Canucks all of a sudden have a whole bunch of players that can play multiple positions. 

The PTO of Ruutu is a conscious effort to bring in a Finnish element to the team just as Granlund was. I truly believe that Benning read the situation perfectly. He knew they weren't going to make a push for the playoffs when Hamhuis had his face smashed by a puck etc. and decided to try as many prospects as possible in the hope that we could get into the top 3 and get a Fin. People don't seem to realize that we intentionally tanked last year... and that's it. We aren't going to continually try to suck for draft position. It's a terrible strategy and involves too much luck to be considered intelligent. With the Sedins here, a Jennings candidate duo in net and an increasingly better Defense, Canucks are a dangerous team every night. 

My guess is that Shinkaruk is in Stockton and Granlund is in Vancouver. If that's the case then the Canucks already won the deal.

Does anybody really think that having a Fin on the roster is going to make the smallest bit of difference to whoever the Canucks drafted?  There were 3 good Fins available in the draft but I would suggest that it's a bit of a long shot that Benning wanted to draft a Fin just because he likes Fins.  He says he likes BPA's.  Everybody knew going in that there was a draft lottery and even if a team finished dead last in the standings, there was a more likely chance of picking outside of the top 3 than in the top 3.  So the chance of picking the player you wanted was not great.  It is well known that Benning had a list of 6 players that he would have drafted depending on the lottery draw and the picks of other teams.  There was plenty of talk about Benning wanted Dubois who is Canadian of all things.

Players were played as the coach saw fit.  Benning doesn't tell Dejardins how to do his job.  Players were selected to play because Dejardins was trying to win games.  There were many injured players.  Granlund was traded for because they were short on experienced centre depth.  Cracknell's face off wins were less than 40%.  McCanns were not much better and he wasn't handling the physical side of the game very well.  Zalewski had only 3 games experience.  And Granlund was seen as a better long term prospect than Shinkaruk because Shink was more of a long shot.

I posted the tin foil hat for the conspiracy theory (or it's endorsement) that they tanked on purpose.  This is preposterous and  has been argued to death on CDC.  Dejardins was hired for his coaching ability and his good character.  Not on his willingness to throw games. 

Happy now?  If you still believe this crap then fill your boots. 

FWIW Ruutu isn't getting a PTO just to make Juolevi feel at home.  He's depth for the preseason and has a very long shot at being signed.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

tinfoilhat1.png

Seiously, they didn't tank.  :picard:

Fill your diapers...

I'm of the opinion that the management and scouting are thinking at that level. He takes a longshot Russian D-man and then trades a 3rd round pick for another huge bi-lingual Russian. The team slides into the bottom 3 and we are almost guaranteed to draft a Finnish player, then we trade Shinkaruk for Granlund...

Theorizing something doesn't equate to being a tinfoil hat wearing fanatic. Ruutu is able to relate to Finnish players and impart his knowledge in a way that other players wouldn't be able to.

I will no longer try to explain logic. I really don't think Benning is the simpleton that people are making him out to be.

6 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Fill your diapers...

I'm of the opinion that the management and scouting are thinking at that level. He takes a longshot Russian D-man and then trades a 3rd round pick for another huge bi-lingual Russian. The team slides into the bottom 3 and we are almost guaranteed to draft a Finnish player, then we trade Shinkaruk for Granlund...

Theorizing something doesn't equate to being a tinfoil hat wearing fanatic. Ruutu is able to relate to Finnish players and impart his knowledge in a way that other players wouldn't be able to.

I will no longer try to explain logic. I really don't think Benning is the simpleton that people are making him out to be.

There's always the -1 vote.  I haven't been using it.  You've changed my mind.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Granlund was rock solid last night.  No way Shink is going to be as effective all over the ice as Granlund is.  The trade keeps getting better

I was surprised by his speed. He definitely looks stronger: he was harder to push off the puck and even gave a couple coilers a small shove or two. He had a few really good chances charging the net and freezing the goalie. He is in dire need of improving his faceoffs though. I think I only saw him win a couple, and he was playing top line minutes (he was facing off against McJesus though so I don't begrudge him that).

Overall he looked much improved. More comfortable on the ice and more confident. I'm excited to watch his continued development. C'mon Granny, don't let us down! 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I was surprised by his speed. He definitely looks stronger: he was harder to push off the puck and even gave a couple coilers a small shove or two. He had a few really good chances charging the net and freezing the goalie. He is in dire need of improving his faceoffs though. I think I only saw him win a couple, and he was playing top line minutes (he was facing off against McJesus though so I don't begrudge him that).

Overall he looked much improved. More comfortable on the ice and more confident. I'm excited to watch his continued development. C'mon Granny, don't let us down! 

Those were definitely the things Granlund needed to work on over the summer: getting stronger and a bit faster. He isn't a speedster, but he is quick and smart. He already has the offensive skill and good hockey IQ to play a defensive role, but if he can continue to get a bit bigger and stronger and improve his faceoff skill, then he'll be a real good two-way middle 6 centre or winger. Hopefully Manny can get him stronger on the dot.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i see granny as eventually playing much like his brother and that makes him an effective 3rd/4th line c/w...

Mikael Granlund?

I'd say his brother is definitley a lot better than that, 132 points in 240 NHL games so far.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

We seem to always get the lesser of the brothers. LOL. 

with the exception of the Sedins, of course ;) 

Well, I guess we did get the lesser of the Sedins, nice that we also got the better one and there's not much drop off once you figure which is which.

but yeah, woulda rather had Paul than Steve, PK than Jordan, Pokey than Smokey, etc...

1 hour ago, nzan said:

Well, I guess we did get the lesser of the Sedins, nice that we also got the better one and there's not much drop off once you figure which is which.

but yeah, woulda rather had Paul than Steve, PK than Jordan, Pokey than Smokey, etc...

Got the good miller

• Upvote 2

Granlund's lucky in that he's pretty much got the 4C roster spot locked down because no one else can really play it that well. We need to try and get Gaunce back to taking faceoffs purely to get our team versatility up because right now we've only really got 4 true centers. The good teams go into the season and playoffs with about 5-7 true centers and a lot of versatility.

As for Granlund's linemates, I'd love to see him play with a big body (Gaunce or Etem) plus a consistent checking veteran (Dorsett or Burrows) OR a skilled winger if we want the line to be more of a 3rd line (Rodin or Virtanen).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nzan said:

c'est la vie! 

I'm looking forward to this season and the next few seasons to see the development of the young players. it's an exciting time in the organizations life right now. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

c'est la vie! 

I'm looking forward to this season and the next few seasons to see the development of the young players. it's an exciting time in the organizations life right now. 

oh yeah, i can't remember a time when we've had this quantity of quality prospects.

i guess in the late 90's we had that whole glut of morrisons, drukens, holdens and schaefers...we thought they were going to be great...one would expect this group to turn out better!

4 minutes ago, nzan said:

oh yeah, i can't remember a time when we've had this quantity of quality prospects.

i guess in the late 90's we had that whole glut of morrisons, drukens, holdens and schaefers...we thought they were going to be great...one would expect this group to turn out better!

Remember the Schaefer for Salo trade?  :lol::lol:  We sure won that one.  I see the McCann for Gudbranson as similar.  Didn't Schafer end up in Europe, and Salo a stand out for us?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nzan said:

I think we do have a better quality of prospects now then we did back then. Druken, Shaefer and the likes. haha. middle six to bottom six players at best. 

I don't recall any of those prospects turning out to be top six players, but then again, our drafting under Burke and Nonis was horrific. We did get Edler, Hansen, Kesler out of that era, but still. I trust in Benning and his staff to develop and draft better than Burke and Nonis did before. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Remember the Schaefer for Salo trade?  :lol::lol:  We sure won that one.  I see the McCann for Gudbranson as similar.  Didn't Schafer end up in Europe, and Salo a stand out for us?

I dunno. I think McCann has a good chance of turning out to be a pretty good player in the NHL. My personal opinion of course :) 

43 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think we do have a better quality of prospects now then we did back then. Druken, Shaefer and the likes. haha. middle six to bottom six players at best. 

I don't recall any of those prospects turning out to be top six players, but then again, our drafting under Burke and Nonis was horrific. We did get Edler, Hansen, Kesler out of that era, but still. I trust in Benning and his staff to develop and draft better than Burke and Nonis did before. 

Hard to argue with Burke's one homerun, but Nonis was truly awful.