The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

We have a collection of youth on this team that I can not compare to any time in the Canucks history.

Its nice to see that besides having the skill sets and tool boxes to play on the Canucks, each player has the potential to be much better than they are at this period in time. Add to that, the collection of depth and prospects we have... It's a bright future TP.

I don't have the same confidence with the forward group but what do I know? Benning has turned the d-core around in a matter of a couple of years. Many equated the non signing of Hamhuis with the Gudbranson acquisition. I had advocated for a Hammer trade for 2 seasons but must admit the Gudbranson early returns are extremely positive. His physicality is settling the whole back end down.

When I look at the forward group Benning again has made solid acquistions from a very weak position. My concern is the Twins's shelter the true status. If they are injured or actually retire the impact would be critical. Baer, Granlund, and hopefully Rodin have to produce as a group in the 22 - 26 age group. We will see.

42 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't have the same confidence with the forward group but what do I know? Benning has turned the d-core around in a matter of a couple of years. Many equated the non signing of Hamhuis with the Gudbranson acquisition. I had advocated for a Hammer trade for 2 seasons but must admit the Gudbranson early returns are extremely positive. His physicality is settling the whole back end down.

When I look at the forward group Benning again has made solid acquistions from a very weak position. My concern is the Twins's shelter the true status. If they are injured or actually retire the impact would be critical. Baer, Granlund, and hopefully Rodin have to produce as a group in the 22 - 26 age group. We will see.

We need to trade/draft/sign a young, future 1C in the next ~year from somewhere and we should be ok IMO. Easier said than done of course :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

We need to trade/draft/sign a young, future 1C in the next ~year from somewhere and we should be ok IMO. Easier said than done of course :lol:

Can agree that the bigger part of the puzzle, we have already.

Forwards or Defence men, a balance of Veteran presence is needed. Our forward group actually looks promising.. with Boeser, LaBate , Guance, Rodin, Zaliweski, Virtannen, all making positive improvements .. and our D now stacking in talent and tools with Juolevi, Stetcher, Tryamkin, Pedan, Larsen and Brisbousie, the real task is getting them dialing in at the right levels of hockey.

The future is bright,. the only thing missing is that true power forward that we all hope Jake will be in 2-3 years.

Only wish we could have "iced" Bertuzzi cryogenically in his prime ;)

I still think if Evander Kane becomes available, we make the play for him.. a player lLIKE him is all that's missing with this group right now. 

Benning has good reads on players as people, and athletes,. I think we can trust him to find something where others may not.

I believe Benning may have scouted and Danton Heinen a few years ago. Played Junior B with the Richmond Sockeyes, Junior A with the Meritt Centenials, and NCAA with the Denver Pioneers.

Heinen went in the 2nd round to the Bruins a couple of years ago.

Nobody knows him,.  but the kids a beauty.

Benning has great vision, let's enjoy the journey with his group of Canucks.

I kept saying to people. His AHL and pre-Canuck resume was just as good as Shinkaruks and honestly maybe a little bit better. He already had a more complete skillset that you could use in multiple situations and roles, and already showed he could at least play in the NHL. He honestly scored some pretty nice goals and made some nice plays, on top of having enough defensive ability that he gets counted on for PK minutes. 

The overreaction to the Shinkaruk trade gets more and more obvious by the day. I get he was a good kid, with an infectious personality, and one of our first star prospects in the new era like Bo. But still, Weisbrod had seen both Shinkaruk and Granlund on a day to day basis and thought Granlund was better, and Benning further more, Benning has shown he knows talent, and thought Granlund was the one who could actually translate his skills to the NHL effectively. They know a thing or two about talent. Trust them. Granlund is looking like he can be a quality role player so far. Speed and two-way ability to keep up and not be a liability, and enough offensive creativity to get on the board.

Lets go Granlund!

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, J.R. said:

Absolutely no doubt the #1 org need is a 1C prospect. The succession for Hank now stands as a likely 1A & 1B of Horvat and Sutter. I see this as a transition option but realize that we still do not know what Horvat's full upside is. Drafting a 1C would allow some time as these two carry the load. IMHO if we get 2 years more from the Twins it is more than what we should expect. Extra is a bonus.

15 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Absolutely no doubt the #1 org need is a 1C prospect. The succession for Hank now stands as a likely 1A & 1B of Horvat and Sutter. I see this as a transition option but realize that we still do not know what Horvat's full upside is. Drafting a 1C would allow some time as these two carry the load. IMHO if we get 2 years more from the Twins it is more than what we should expect. Extra is a bonus.

yep. fully agree that the 2017 draft is when we need to pick up a #1 centre prospect to take over for Hank for when he retires and calls it quits. 

Bo and Sutter will take on the 1st and 2nd line duties until that 1C prospect can be groomed and ready for the NHL. 

Patrick would be ideal, but I don't think the Canucks will be bad enough for us to get there. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sedins play a couple more years before they retire, tbh. they're in such good shape, they could probably play a few more years. 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

yep. fully agree that the 2017 draft is when we need to pick up a #1 centre prospect to take over for Hank for when he retires and calls it quits. 

Bo and Sutter will take on the 1st and 2nd line duties until that 1C prospect can be groomed and ready for the NHL. 

Patrick would be ideal, but I don't think the Canucks will be bad enough for us to get there. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sedins play a couple more years before they retire, tbh. they're in such good shape, they could probably play a few more years. 

The Twins game centers on puck possession. The game is very clearly speeding up and I question whether they can keep up. They were shooting the puck into the corners and chasing for retrieval and Buffalo was beating them out. If the Twins can get to the puck in time their board battle is still pretty good. I can certainly understand why Willie broke them up last night as even when separated their puck passing ability shines. Their PP still isn't working but their puck movement is outstanding. It has to kick in! 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The Twins game centers on puck possession. The game is very clearly speeding up and I question whether they can keep up. They were shooting the puck into the corners and chasing for retrieval and Buffalo was beating them out. If the Twins can get to the puck in time their board battle is still pretty good. I can certainly understand why Willie broke them up last night as even when separated their puck passing ability shines. Their PP still isn't working but their puck movement is outstanding. It has to kick in! 

I haven't seen any of the 4 games to start the season, simply because I've been busy with work. 

But if they're not getting to pucks, and their opponents and other players' speed are allowing them to get to the pucks before the Sedins, then it doesn't matter how often they dump it in, or cycle, it'll be hard for them to score. 

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

One of the many reasons I've wanted Hansen on their line from the start. 

23 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I haven't seen any of the 4 games to start the season, simply because I've been busy with work. 

But if they're not getting to pucks, and their opponents and other players' speed are allowing them to get to the pucks before the Sedins, then it doesn't matter how often they dump it in, or cycle, it'll be hard for them to score. 

23 hours ago, J.R. said:

One of the many reasons I've wanted Hansen on their line from the start. 

They are not being beaten every time. IMHO their PP puck movement shines simply because of the extra space. Danny still has his shot. If Larsen hits the net more the ppg will climb. Again, because of the speed issue, the longer term trend will likely not be great. Father Time has few friends.

• 3 weeks later...

Really impressed with Granlund's overall play this season.

IMO he's been one of our best defensive forwards, if not the best. Wish he'd get more defensive starts than offensive. He has some offensive talent and has more success on the fore-check than most people his size but he defensive play is what makes him stand out to me.

If he could improve on the dot he could be a pretty good 3rd C for us in the future, if not then maybe a dependable middle 6 winger.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I've come here to admit Granlund has changed my mind. I was 100% in the "omg JB, what are you doing?!" crowd when we made the trade, and I didn't warm up to it as the season went on. I thought we had basicly done the Vey trade all over again. 16 games into this season, I've got to say I'm impressed by his play. Maybe I was being hard on his last year and it skewed my perception, but he looks miles better in all 3 zones. He's a solid middle 6 forward and still has room to grow, keep it up Markus.

Meanwhile out of the Flames games that I have watched, Shinkaru was recently called up and one of those games I didn't even realize he is playing until the third period when I saw his jersey. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Meanwhile out of the Flames games that I have watched, Shinkaru was recently called up and one of those games I didn't even realize he is playing until the third period when I saw his jersey. 

I always thought he had the shot and skating to make it as a scorer, really hasn't come together though. 

9 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I've come here to admit Granlund has changed my mind. I was 100% in the "omg JB, what are you doing?!" crowd when we made the trade, and I didn't warm up to it as the season went on. I thought we had basicly done the Vey trade all over again. 16 games into this season, I've got to say I'm impressed by his play. Maybe I was being hard on his last year and it skewed my perception, but he looks miles better in all 3 zones. He's a solid middle 6 forward and still has room to grow, keep it up Markus.

Again it looks like Benning is a better judge of talent than CDC'ers. ::D  Granlund looks like a decent setup man for guys like Erickson. Feel sorry for Baer as he is IMHO outplaying Granlund with poorer ppg results. Granlund does not have the board battle in him that Baer does.

Y'all already know how I feel about Granny :wub:

I just wish that if they're going to keep playing him at center they'd get him more one on one time with Manny. His FO% was in the 30's last time I checked. As a whole the team's not great on the dot, but boy is watching Markus get out muscled every faceoff depressing.

ETA here are some of the other fellas FO% according to the NHL app:

Hank 51.82%

Sutter 53%

Bo 48.83%

Gaunce 51.11%

Granlund 35.9%

Edited by ThrustyPrusty89
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Y'all already know how I feel about Granny :wub:

I just wish that if they're going to keep playing him at center they'd get him more one on one time with Manny. His FO% was in the 30's last time I checked. As a whole the team's not great on the dot, but boy is watching Markus get out muscled every faceoff depressing.

ETA here are some of the other fellas FO% according to the NHL app:

Hank 51.82%

Sutter 53%

Bo 48.83%

Gaunce 51.11%

Granlund 35.9%

wow. that just sucks :lol:

I wonder how many people know where Granlund ranked in scoring at the 2012/2013 U20 tournament?  He was 2nd, right behind Nugent-Hopkins and ahead of guys like Gaudreau, Scheifele, Kucherov, Yakupov and Galchenyuk.  He's got some skills and he's defensively responsible.  He's only a year older than Shinkaruk and miles ahead in development.  From the FO stats, apparently he needs some work on that, but the rest of his game is coming along well and he's still got a couple years to go before he hits his peak.  He could be a long term middle 6 forward.

• Upvote 2