The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

They're primarily playing Gaudette at Centre and Granlund on the Wing. I don't see Gaudette as competition for Granlund. 

More or less he’s competing with Baertschi, Virtanen, Motte, MacEwen, Gadjovich etc. 

Weird group.  Baertschi is certainly not part of that group and Virtanen probably not either.

35 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It's clearly not showing here wadr.

Well that's like, your opinion, man.

35 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Why do you spend your time with all us peasants.

I have a 12 inch donger and a 8 fugure bank account.

same

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Weird group.  Baertschi is certainly not part of that group and Virtanen probably not either.

That's what happens in a rebuild these are all players with no cemented top 6 spot with the exception of maybe Baertschi and with teams rolling with 3 scoring lines and a shutdown line it puts Baer in the spot of being a 2nd or 3rd liner depending on hot streaks, who we draft, and who we sign this off season. 

Boeser is firmly planted on the top line, Goldobin may or may not be on the team if he stays hes likely on the 2nd line with his talent level. Roussel is likely on the 4th line as he is now with the odd stretches playing on any of the other 3 lines when needed. 

Everything else is wide open imo. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

That's what happens in a rebuild these are all players with no cemented top 6 spot withthe exception of maybe Baertschi and with teams rolling with 3 scoring lines and a shutdown line it puts Baer in the spot of being a 2nd or 3rd liner depending on hot streaks, who we draft, and who we sign this off season. 

Boeser is firmly planted on the top line, Goldobin may or may not be on the team if he stays hes likely on the 2nd line with his talent level. Roussel is likely on the 4th line as he is now with the odd stretches playing on any of the other 3 lines when needed. 

Leivo, Pearson, Goldobin are Baertschi's competition.  Leivo is from the same draft class and has played top-6 nearly all his time here with PP1 and is a 0.4 player.  Goldobin 0.44 but he is still developing.  Baer has at least been producing at a top-6 rate yet you put him the same class as 4th liners.  

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That's what happens in a rebuild these are all players with no cemented top 6 spot with the exception of maybe Baertschi and with teams rolling with 3 scoring lines and a shutdown line it puts Baer in the spot of being a 2nd or 3rd liner depending on hot streaks, who we draft, and who we sign this off season. 

I agree, but think Jake is a guy who could play middle six for sure, and PK.  I like Goldy's skill.  He's likely our second most skilled forward.  (Petey is just amazingly skilled).  

Baer I really have trouble with being on our team when the rebuild is moving into the tinkering stage.  Could he be a Higgins type third line guy, who contributes some offensively, while being a solid 200 foot guy?  Maybe?  I'm just not convinced with Baer that he can play how he needs to be effective, and stay healthy.  

Just now, mll said:

Leivo, Pearson, Goldobin are Baertschi's competition.  Leivo is from the same draft class and has played top-6 nearly all his time here with PP1 and is a 0.4 player.  Goldobin 0.44 but he is still developing.  Baer has at least been producing at a top-6 rate yet you put him the same class as 4th liners.  

Green sits Baer, when Baer is avoiding the hard areas he needs to get to. Then when Baer plays how he needs to play to be effective the guy gets injured.  I think we all like Baer, but is he really going to help us win, considering he can't stay healthy?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Motte is still trending upwards and Baertschi has struggled to stay healthy. Limiting his ice time may help with that. He’s clearly the better player but to be that he needs to be playing. 

Just now, Alflives said:

I agree, but think Jake is a guy who could play middle six for sure, and PK.  I like Goldy's skill.  He's likely our second most skilled forward.  (Petey is just amazingly skilled).  

Baer I really have trouble with being on our team when the rebuild is moving into the tinkering stage.  Could he be a Higgins type third line guy, who contributes some offensively, while being a solid 200 foot guy?  Maybe?  I'm just not convinced with Baer that he can play how he needs to be effective, and stay healthy.  

Burrows describes him as highly skilled and creative player that likes to make plays.  That's not a 3rd line role.  He would probably do better on a more skilled team.  

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Motte is still trending upwards and Baertschi has struggled to stay healthy. Limiting his ice time may help with that. He’s clearly the better player but to be that he needs to be playing. 

Limiting the ice time of skilled players renders them ineffective - they don't feel the play and don't dare create.  Pominville and even the Sedins talked about that.

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Burrows describes him as highly skilled and creative player that likes to make plays.  That's not a 3rd line role.  He would probably do better on a more skilled team.  

I think we agree.  It's just for Baer to be the player he needs to be he has to play in a way that gets him injured.  And yes, he might be better suited (age wise) to be with a more mature team. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we agree.  It's just for Baer to be the player he needs to be he has to play in a way that gets him injured.  And yes, he might be better suited (age wise) to be with a more mature team. 

Baertschi is an in and out type of player. He sees the holes in coverage around the net and knows when to get in and when to get out before getting steamrolled.  No one on the team shoots from closer to the net than him - he typically gets his goals from 15ft and under.   

Ideally he moves in as the puck moves in but he needs to play with someone that sees those same holes in coverage and can get the puck there.   That kind of player is scarce on this team for now.  That's why he would likely do better on a more skilled team who can play that kind of game.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I really like Baertschi, he is criminally underrated. That said, his injury problems are worrisome and he should not slot into the 1st LW role. 

Anders Lee would be an amazing fit but I don't see him leaving the Islanders. Outside of him there are a number of awesome UFA left wingers who are on the younger side:

1. Panarin 27
2. Ferland 27
3. Dzingel 27

4. Skinner 27

Ferland would bring sandpaper and some protection alongside EP and Boeser but I worry about his longevity and actual talent level. That said, I think we need to go all-in and try to get Panarin. Can you imagine him with EP and Boeser :blink: Plus he is the type of player who can still be a good top 6 for another decade based on the way he plays. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, mll said:

Limiting the ice time of skilled players renders them ineffective - they don't feel the play and don't dare create.  Pominville and even the Sedins talked about that.

While being injured and not playing at all does even less than that. And as I said teams are now rolling 3 scoring lines so just because he would occasinally play on the “3rd line” doesn't mean he's always playing 15 minutes or less. 

Granlund was a “4th liner” yesterday who only trailed Edler in minutes played. 

Baertschi’s injury history is very much a factor in this more than his talent level. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, mll said:

Baertschi is an in and out type of player. He sees the holes in coverage around the net and knows when to get in and when to get out before getting steamrolled.  No one on the team shoots from closer to the net than him - he typically gets his goals from 15ft and under.   

Ideally he moves in as the puck moves in but he needs to play with someone that sees those same holes in coverage and can get the puck there.   That kind of player is scarce on this team for now.  That's why he would likely do better on a more skilled team who can play that kind of game.  

And playing in such traffic (the high scoring areas that Baer needs to get to or Green sits him out) gets him injured.  Maybe Baer is just not physically build strong enough to take the abuse he must to be a successful player.  I'm not denying he can play; I'm saying to play well gets him injured.