The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

Yeah, I really can't disagree with anything you said.  That's the one good thing about Granlund - much like Hansen, he is a good utility player who can move up and down the lineup.  I really have no idea where I would place him; his last year was not a good showing but that really was largely not his fault.... his deployment dictated he wasn't likely to get a lot of point.  (Not unlike Sutter's own deployment).  This year without the Sedins, if he has a good showing at camp I can totally see him deployed on the 2nd with Sutter as you said earlier.  

Your lineups I think are off - at least to start the season.  I don't see Green throwing Pettersson into a 2C role right away; although if he can prove himself I think he will end up there soon enough. I also see Baertschi being tried out on the top line along with Leipsic and Eriksson... all depending on how they look in camp; Eriksson will probably end up 2RW for lack of a better option.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Your lineups I think are off - at least to start the season.  I don't see Green throwing Pettersson into a 2C role right away; although if he can prove himself I think he will end up there soon enough. I also see Baertschi being tried out on the top line along with Leipsic and Eriksson... all depending on how they look in camp; Eriksson will probably end up 2RW for lack of a better option.

I don't know they'll have much choice short of Gagner (or perhaps Granlund) there (and hence Pettersson on RW). Either way, I see Baer/Pettersson as the pair on that line, 3rd piece TBD. And regardless, it will see highly sheltered 'Sedin' usage of high ozone starts, probably closer to 3rd line 5v5 time etc. So I'm not sure they're too worried about him being 'over his head' in that regard.

I think they have plenty of idea of what Baer looks like on Horvat's LW (IMO a passable but overall, ill fit). I also think they'd love to spread some of the little, proven offensive firepower we have around to avoid being a one line offensive team (never mind that Horvat and Boeser are good enough to carry a 'lesser' 3rd player on that line). It also wouldn't hurt too pump and dump Baer in a highly sheltered offensive role should say Dahlen/Goldobin appear to be ready to replace him towards the TDL/next summer.

Edited by aGENT

On 7/26/2018 at 8:58 AM, aGENT said:

How many 'proven' guys do we have on our little rebuilding team though? That's kind of the point.

Now personally, I have him penciled in on our '4th' line with Beagle and Schaller. But he could just as easily earn himself the LW role with Horvat and Boeser too (or end up there with injuries). Or end up on either middle 6 line as well.

Is he a bonafide top 6 player? Perhaps not. I'd probably put him at the level of 2nd/3rd line or 'middle 6 tweener' on his own. He's certainly shown enough skill in the past that he could arguably play a complimentary top 6 role with better players (not dissimilar to Burrows -or himself- with the Sedins) and/or fill in there for injuries but isn't probably a top 6 player in his own right.

I think there's winger spots up for grabs on all 4 lines and other than guys like Goldobin or Gagner likely needing to be in top 6, offensive roles (or 13th/14th forward), the rest can (and likely will) move up and down, in and out of the lineup as opposition, slumps, injuries, chemistry etc dictates.

____, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson, ____

Roussel, Sutter, ____

Schaller, Beagle, ____

13th____, 14, ____

Five or six spots to be filled by some mix of Eriksson, Gagner, Leipsic, Goldobin, Virtanen and Granlund.

Virtanen and Eriksson are locks. Only 3-4 spots 

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Virtanen and Eriksson are locks. Only 3-4 spots 

Virtanen certainly is and Eriksson's certainly likely but I count 6 spots there (the ___ 'blanks').

Where they land though is anyone's guess. Gagner and Goldobin likely need to be top 6 (or spare) but everyone else could arguably be on any of the 4 lines.

On 15.6.2018 at 4:21 PM, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Granlund is such an underrated player.  Just don't put him with Sutter.  He would probably be a really good complement to Boeser and Horvat or playing with Pettersson.  I can see why he was paired with Sutter as he is a capable defensive forward but in doing so just sucked the offense right out of him and in a contract year too.  I hope he stays, I like what he brings to the team.

Hope for Antoine Roussel on the Sutter line instead of Granlund. The FA signings this summer could probably turn out to be helpful for Granlunds situtation / future deployment in the lineup. I was kind of impressed by Granlunds game when he was playing with the Twins at the beginning of the 2016/2017 season. I really like his two way game and his high compete level. I think he should be given a shot in the top six, ideally with Bo and Brock. Granlund expressed several times that he sees himself in the top six. Unfortunately Travis seems to take the view that the team is best served with Granlund playing on a checking line with Sutter. Most likely it 's going to be a battle between him and Leipsic and Goldobin for the spot on the LW at the second line. Baetschi is a lock on the 1st line because of this great chemistry with Bo. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Hope for Antoine Roussel on the Sutter line instead of Granlund. The FA signings this summer could probably turn out to be helpful for Granlunds situtation / future deployment in the lineup. I was kind of impressed by Granlunds game when he was playing with the Twins at the beginning of the 2016/2017 season. I really like his two way game and his high compete level. I think he should be given a shot in the top six, ideally with Bo and Brock. Granlund expressed several times that he sees himself in the top six. Unfortunately Travis seems to take the view that the team is best served with Granlund playing on a checking line with Sutter. Most likely it 's going to be a battle between him and Leipsic and Goldobin for the spot on the LW at the second line. Baetschi is a lock on the 1st line because of this great chemistry with Bo. 

In the video below Green says that he doesn't see Granlund as a top-6 scoring winger in today's NHL.  He says it's not a bad thing - players on the 3rd and the 4th line are really good players.  He says Granlund is a relatively young player and he can't say today where he is going to max out as.  Kuzma then asks him if Granlund can be that transition / 3rd line guy if his skating and puck pursuit gets better.  Green says that's the role he envisions for him. 

At the 2:30 mark: https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/pregame--green-vs-panthers/t-282627458/c-57780003

Not sure Green sees Baer-Horvat on a line together re style of play.  He developed Baertschi and with Horvat he doesn't play like he did in Portland/Utica.  Brough talked to Benning and he gets the feeling that Goldobin/Leipsic are competing for the spot besides Horvat and that Baer is likely playing with Pettersson.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Baetschi is a lock on the 1st line because of this great chemistry with Bo. 

I disagree :ph34r:

They produce because they're both talented players but Baer and Horvat are an ill fit IMO. 

3 hours ago, mll said:

Brough talked to Benning and he gets the feeling that Goldobin/Leipsic are competing for the spot besides Horvat and that Baer is likely playing with Pettersson.

Amen.

I could also see either of Eriksson or Virtanen competing for that 1LW spot. Regardless of where we start, the '3rd guy' on all 4 lines is bound to be VERY fluid this year anyway. But Baer on the secondary offensive line also helps spread our offense out so we're not an easily defended one line team and Horvat/Boeser are both good enough to carry a less able, but more complimentary 3rd guy.

I see the pairs as:

___, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson, ____

Roussel, Sutter, ____

*Schaller, Beagle, ____

And then 13th and 14th F's. May the best men win (Eriksson, Virtanen, Granlund, Leipsic, Goldobin, Gagner) for those 6 spots and best keep your foot on the peddle or risk falling down and/or out of the starting lineup.

*Schaller may be out the first week or two due to wrist surgery, opening a temporary spot.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

On 7/27/2018 at 1:01 PM, aGENT said:

Virtanen certainly is and Eriksson's certainly likely but I count 6 spots there (the ___ 'blanks').

Where they land though is anyone's guess. Gagner and Goldobin likely need to be top 6 (or spare) but everyone else could arguably be on any of the 4 lines.

My best guess:

Goldobin/Leipsic, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson, Eriksson

Roussel, Sutter, Virtanen/Gagner

Schaller, Beagle, Virtanen/Gagner

Granlund + Leipsic/Goldobin  as spares

Eriksson would be a good veteran presence to play with Elias to start, and the fact they are both Swedish could help Elias get comfortable. I also hope they move Gagner to make room for a younger guy.  

I just dont see Green throwing Pettersson into the 2nd line c role right away unless he absolutely kills it in the preseason. I'd hate to have that pressure break him right away.

I agree with the expected lineup but would switch Pettersson for Sutter.  Id also put virtanen on his wing for the help in size and I think the two could play off each others strengths.

53 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I just dont see Green throwing Pettersson into the 2nd line c role right away unless he absolutely kills it in the preseason. I'd hate to have that pressure break him right away.

I agree with the expected lineup but would switch Pettersson for Sutter.  Id also put virtanen on his wing for the help in size and I think the two could play off each others strengths.

Roussel - Pettersson - Virtanen would be a good fit. Roussel could "teach" Virtanen how to protect a player like Pettersson. If Virtanen get in Trouble, Roussel could immediately stand up for his linemates. :goat:

• Upvote 1

Granlund's spot on this team is really in flux to me. He doesn't have any solid role anywhere, but at the same time, I'm not willing to write him off as a 13th forward just yet. He's one-year removed from being a 20-goal kind of guy and still provides decent defense. He's under a lot of pressure to out-perform guys like Schaller and Roussel this year, so hopefully it brings out the best in him.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

I remind Jim saying several times that he sees Pettersson on the wing making his first steps in the NHL. Not sure if he is overly cautious with EP. Hischier played C with the New Jersey Devils, had 82 appearances in his rooking season and collecting 52 points. Why shouldn't it be possible for EP to start his NHL career at C also, especially with his 1 year experience as a pro in the SHL?

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I remind Jim saying several times that he sees Pettersson on the wing making his first steps in the NHL. Not sure if he is overly cautious with EP. Hischier played C with the New Jersey Devils, had 82 appearances in his rooking season and collecting 52 points. Why shouldn't it be possible for EP to start his NHL career at C also, especially with his 1 year experience as a pro in the SHL?

Let me expand my statement.  I don't think I see Pettersson landing a top six role at all until he earns it.  I think he DOES earn it by exceeding expectations in a sheltered role, but to start I believe he is in the bottom six.  Now, you mention wing which makes that a challenge in our lower lines so if we take that to heart then who knows.... maybe top six is the only place there is room for him.  I still prefer the Roussel Pettersson Virtanen line to start; not many people are going to be taking liberties with him with those wingers.

You make good points regarding Hischier, and you're right - perhaps he would do fine with the added responsibility. He has succeeded at every level he has played so that certainly lends itself well to that possibility. I just keep figuring that in general, management had played it cool with our prospects and let them show they can do a job before they are placed in that position.  Look at Boeser; clearly able to play the game, yet was held out the first few.

In Benning/Green I trust.

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Granlund's spot on this team is really in flux to me. He doesn't have any solid role anywhere, but at the same time, I'm not willing to write him off as a 13th forward just yet. He's one-year removed from being a 20-goal kind of guy and still provides decent defense. He's under a lot of pressure to out-perform guys like Schaller and Roussel this year, so hopefully it brings out the best in him.

I hope so too. No, I don't think he's a 13th forward at all actually.  I think he fits into a 3rd line role really well; it is just that we have limited spaces available now that Benning went out and got these free agents.

47 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Let me expand my statement.  I don't think I see Pettersson landing a top six role at all until he earns it.  I think he DOES earn it by exceeding expectations in a sheltered role, but to start I believe he is in the bottom six.  Now, you mention wing which makes that a challenge in our lower lines so if we take that to heart then who knows.... maybe top six is the only place there is room for him.  I still prefer the Roussel Pettersson Virtanen line to start; not many people are going to be taking liberties with him with those wingers.

You make good points regarding Hischier, and you're right - perhaps he would do fine with the added responsibility. He has succeeded at every level he has played so that certainly lends itself well to that possibility. I just keep figuring that in general, management had played it cool with our prospects and let them show they can do a job before they are placed in that position.  Look at Boeser; clearly able to play the game, yet was held out the first few.

In Benning/Green I trust.

Green and Benning both criticised Calgary for how they deployed Baertschi.  Green was saying he's not suited to play in the bottom-6 and Benning was saying he's a skilled player and needs to play with other skilled players.

Adding Beagle, Schaller and Roussel is to be able to play their skilled payers in offensive roles with other skilled players.  “We want to give our young players a chance to play in skilled positions on the team and in offensive situations, so we were looking to round out our group,” Benning said.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, mll said:

Green and Benning both criticised Calgary for how they deployed Baertschi.  Green was saying he's not suited to play in the bottom-6 and Benning was saying he's a skilled player and needs to play with other skilled players.

Adding Beagle, Schaller and Roussel is to be able to play their skilled payers in offensive roles with other skilled players.  “We want to give our young players a chance to play in skilled positions on the team and in offensive situations, so we were looking to round out our group,” Benning said.

C'mon, that doesn't fit the Vancouver media narrative at all. Remember, we wasted money on all these plugs and they're taking away roster spots from the kids...LOL.

I love the fact people keep throwing out the argument that Beagle, Roussel, and Schaller will be taking valuable spots. When Benning has openly said he wants his young kids at the top end of the roster producing offense. 

The guys that should really worry about their roster spots are Gagne, Gaunce, and Granlund...the triple G's. 

However, due to Granlunds defensive proficiencies I think he's got less to worry about than the other 2. I'm pulling for Gaunce but i'm a realist and i'm not sure he beats out Schaller for a full time 4th line spot. Which means he gets put on waivers, and I have no doubt he would pass through. 

Gagne is really the only guy out of this group that is battling for a top 6 spot, and I hope the best for him. He will probably start the year somewhere in the top of the line up. But once Pettersson starts to get an understanding of how to play on the smaller ice I can see him passing Gagne and forcing him out of the line up by mid point of the season or even sooner.

My ultimate dream tho is that Dahlen and Pettersson shine at camp and dominate as a pair during pre-season. Warranting both of them to be on the opening day roster. I am soooo hoping this happens. Those 2 are electric together! Lets face it, with the Sedins gone, our top end of our line up will not have a lot of chemistry. It will take time to build that up to see who fits with who the best. With Dahlen and Pettersson they have instant chemistry, the million dollar question being, can they do it at the NHL level...I am so excited to find out!!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mll said:

Again, I think Pettersson will get there in short order.  But to start, I would not be surprised to see him playing a sheltered role and slowly/moderately given more responsibility until he eventually becomes our 2C by the end of the season.  

11 hours ago, kloubek said:

Try thinking of it as a sheltered, offensive 3rd line role then. Basically what the Sedins were playing last year (until injuries). IE: 3rd line 5v5 minutes, ozone starts and generally cushy usage with PP time.

Sutter's line will likely be playing closer to 2nd line minutes (even if a more traditional 3rd line role).

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Personally I think Gaudette is the one Granlund needs to be looking over his shoulder for. 

• Like 1