The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

Expendable Forwards:

Granlund - Middle 6 forward, Gaudette can play a similar role and has a higher offensive ceiling. If Pettersson plays center this year dont see much room for him. 

Gaunce - Schaller makes him expendable 

Gagner - Brought in to improve our powerplay, dont want to see him anywhere near our PP give the chance to the kids.   

On 6/8/2018 at 6:27 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Yet another underrated player by the fanbase.   Every NHL team wants and needs a Granlund.   One just scored the SC winning goal.

Everyone thought Granlund was turning a corner when he scored 19 goals two years ago but the Granlund we saw last year is more indicative of the Granlund that struggled to consolidate himself in Calgary. Definitely not a player every NHL team needs. Not all role players on our team are as valuable to others as we'd like them to be.

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

Everyone thought Granlund was turning a corner when he scored 19 goals two years ago but the Granlund we saw last year is more indicative of the Granlund that struggled to consolidate himself in Calgary. Definitely not a player every NHL team needs. Not all role players on our team are as valuable to others as we'd like them to be.

He was injured a lot of last year and was put in few situations for success.   I agree 19 goals is a reach but he could easily be a 12-15 goal guy and consistent quality checking line player.

Yes, is a player every team needs.   A Lars Eller type.   I have no need for him to be valuable to anyone - I just know that his type of player is valuable.

20 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He was injured a lot of last year and was put in few situations for success.   I agree 19 goals is a reach but he could easily be a 12-15 goal guy and consistent quality checking line player.

Yes, is a player every team needs.   A Lars Eller type.  

Eller is better defensively, better at face-offs and more reliable productively. That's what makes him such an effective Swiss-Knife player. 

In other words, if Eller is the full version, Granlund is the Lite one. 

20 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I have no need for him to be valuable to anyone - I just know that his type of player is valuable.

His type of player sure is valuable, just not sure if Markus has been good enough for him to be valuable individually. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Eller is better defensively, better at face-offs and more reliable productively. That's what makes him such an effective Swiss-Knife player. 

In other words, if Eller is the full version, Granlund is the Lite one. 

His type of player sure is valuable, just not sure if Markus has been good enough for him to be valuable individually. 

I like Eller more too but I think Granlund can develop into that.    If you look at same period in their respective careers, VERY similar stats and progress.

Does Markus get to Eller level at same age, who knows...I sure don't but that is the "type" of player he is and why I made the comparison in the first place.   I think Markus has the skating, drive and skillset to do it but he NEEDS to do it before it can be declared that he is there.    

• 3 weeks later...
On 31.7.2018 at 8:04 AM, -AJ- said:

Granlund's spot on this team is really in flux to me. He doesn't have any solid role anywhere, but at the same time, I'm not willing to write him off as a 13th forward just yet. He's one-year removed from being a 20-goal kind of guy and still provides decent defense. He's under a lot of pressure to out-perform guys like Schaller and Roussel this year, so hopefully it brings out the best in him.

If Benning / coaching  staff had  confidence in Granlund's game they wouldn't have brought in Roussel / Schaller. Hard to imagine that Granlund takes one spot on the LW and one of Schaller and Roussel is out. My best guess is that the Canucks will place him on waivers after camp. Strange thing is that he strives to play in the top 6. Green sees him in the bottom 6 and he knows that. That's not a match, even though he decided to sign a one year contract. Must have had zero other options with other teams. Fully get the signings of Roussel and Schaller because both bring more physicality / grit compared to Granlund. 

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Ummm. Who made that sexy pass?

22 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Was that Lind possibly?

I thought that at first but after watching it few times looks to short to be Lind so probably Stecher. Ganger was the other forward though I know that can tell by his jersey being tucked up 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-08-02 at 5:38 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I like Eller more too but I think Granlund can develop into that.    If you look at same period in their respective careers, VERY similar stats and progress.

Does Markus get to Eller level at same age, who knows...I sure don't but that is the "type" of player he is and why I made the comparison in the first place.   I think Markus has the skating, drive and skillset to do it but he NEEDS to do it before it can be declared that he is there.    

Totally agree here. 

I feel like alot of fans began to see Granlund in a negative light with the emergence of all the young players.

Almost as if they were looking for flaws in his game to point out so they can justify why he wont ne on the team.

True, he didn't play his best last season. However, he was a part of the Sutter at Dorsett line at the beginning of the season which was a great shutdown line to start; kinda reminded me of the Manny, Torres, Hansen line in 2010 that would be the starting lineup for many games.

When I see Granlund play, I see all the tools to make him a successful player; skill, hockey sense, and willingness to battle. He reminds me little be of Chris Higgins when he was here.

Hope he proves alot of fans wrong.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This was Granlund earlier in the summer (via Dhaliwal on twitter):   Granlund on getting back to scoring goals, "I think I have a chance to play in the top 6 for sure but it's up to Travis and what he wants from me and we will see what will happen."

In Whistler he was between Archibald and Palmu/Gadjovich, and then with Schaller/Beagle the final day.  Against Edmonton he played with Schaller-Motte.

Can he accept a checking role.  In Calgary and to WD he has always said that he wanted to be a top liner and Green doesn't seem to have changed his opinion on that. 

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Last night's effort was great, but I worry my favorite is slowly playing himself out of the league. Surprised to say he lacks consistency. 

I feel like I can relate. It was hard for me to admit that Edler was bad for a while because he was my favourite player. Fortunately, he's bounced back now.

• Thanks 1