The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

I agree with you he is a complete player that fans have forgot about with his injury and new guys around...

Any coach feels comfortable having a forward with speed along with 200 foot game and has some talent..

Markus is a RFA and will be signed..

Sure hope he is given time with Bo on LW......Grandlund - Bo - Boser...

If JB does not trade 2. Baertchi - RFA or trade - Virtanen

3. Erickson - Sutter - Archiebald

4. Liepsic   - Gaudette - Goldobin

So I don't have some players on roster : Pettersson 6'2, Dahlen 5'11, Gaunce 6'2, Motte 5'10

Players 1-2 year away, Jasek 6'1, Lind 6'1, Gadjovich 6'2, MacEwen 6'4

We can see That Baertchi LW could be traded, Goldobin or Leipsic could play in that spot, Jake could also

be played on LW

Sorry #2 centre could be a UFA or player like Spezza 7.5 million 1 yr left, Dallas give up 4th rounder and prospect...

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Sure hope he is given time with Bo on LW......Grandlund - Bo - Boser...

I've actually been thinking he might be one of the guys who could audition for Bo's LW.

Granlund/Eriksson/Leipsic/Virtanen, Horvat, Boeser

Baer (possibly Goldobin/Dahlen...or Eriksson if we trade Baer), Trade/UFA, Pettersson (sheltered offensive 'Sedin' minutes/usage line)

Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson/Granlund/Virtanen/Leipsic

4th line to be made up of whoever doesn't nab the W'er spots in those 1st or 3rd lines and either Gaudette at C or sign a guy like Richardson, Beagle etc.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yet another underrated player by the fanbase.   Every NHL team wants and needs a Granlund.   One just scored the SC winning goal.

I have always liked him.

Regularly makes a solid play.

I like reliable.

• Upvote 2

Y'all already know how I feel about Markus. 

I think he's ready to take a big next step offensively, if given the chance and not hampered by injuries. He could be like his brother. 

Edited by Cramarossa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Y'all already know how I feel about Markus. 

I think he's ready to take a big next step offensively, if given the chance and not hampered by injuries. He could be like his brother. 

Would love for Granlund to break out offensively. But the top six is gonna be a crowded place with all these young players looking to prove themselves come training camp. It's gonna be fun! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Would love for Granlund to break out offensively. But the top six is gonna be a crowded place with all these young players looking to prove themselves come training camp. It's gonna be fun! 

I would like to see Grandlund play centre on 2nd line in exhibition season if we have not filled #2 centre position...Markus plays a complete game and has showed signs in world Jr u20 playing for Finland and had a 19 goal season here...Lets hope Granny stays health he might be that surprise and I feel he has skill to score 20 goals - 45-55 points..

Granlund is such an underrated player.  Just don't put him with Sutter.  He would probably be a really good complement to Boeser and Horvat or playing with Pettersson.  I can see why he was paired with Sutter as he is a capable defensive forward but in doing so just sucked the offense right out of him and in a contract year too.  I hope he stays, I like what he brings to the team.

• Upvote 3

On 6/12/2018 at 9:18 AM, Where'd Luongo? said:

Funny how some of these guys that flourished under WD are so awful with TG.

This is an interesting point I haven't considered until you brought it up. We all talk about how bad a coach WD was for guys like Virtanen, but how about Granlund? He clearly thrived in WD's system and has died out in Green's system.

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This is an interesting point I haven't considered until you brought it up. We all talk about how bad a coach WD was for guys like Virtanen, but how about Granlund? He clearly thrived in WD's system and has died out in Green's system.

Honestly everyone was hot on Granny that year, remember how close he came to 20 goals before his surgery?

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎15 at 7:21 AM, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Granlund is such an underrated player.  Just don't put him with Sutter.  He would probably be a really good complement to Boeser and Horvat or playing with Pettersson.  I can see why he was paired with Sutter as he is a capable defensive forward but in doing so just sucked the offense right out of him and in a contract year too.  I hope he stays, I like what he brings to the team.

Cap management.

He nearly potted 20 the year before inflated by the Sedins/deployment. This season he was brought back to earth with the one of the toughest deployments on the team behind Sutter.

If he had potted another 20 we would be looking at paying him nearly 4m and would have likely traded him at the deadline. I think he will be part of the future core. A more cerebral Hansen with better hands without but the tenacity and linear speed. We need that guy who can play on any line in any game situation buuuuut I'd rather not be paying north of 3m for that when we have Loui on the books.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I wouldn't call it thriving in WD's system he was often deployed with the Sedins who rarly took a defensive shift. We have seen Byron Bitz, Cowan the Brabarian, Hansen, Burrows, Carter, the list goes on turned from grinders into goal scorers playing with 2 of the best passers to ever lace em up.

I can recall at least 5 goals he had wide open net tap ins and multiple more he missed.

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Granlund actually things he could see deployment on the 2nd line "for sure"?  Yeah right.  He has never been a top 6 guy and last year makes him seem that much further away from being capable of such a role.  By all rights, he better show up strong at camp or he's going to be fighting for a role on the team, period.

On 2018-07-24 at 2:07 PM, kloubek said:

Yeah right.  He has never been a top 6 guy and last year makes him seem that much further away from being capable of such a role.  

Scored 19 goals playing (only part of the season) with the twins 2 seasons ago. 

Also, Sutter's line is likely to be our 2nd line by minutes played most nights (even if more a 3rd line by 'role'). He could easily play there again as well (Roussel, Sutter, Granlund).

Edited by aGENT

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Scored 19 goals playing (only part of the season) with the twins 2 seasons ago. 

Also, Sutter's line is likely to be our 2nd line by minutes played most nights (even if more a 3rd line by 'role'). He could easily play there again as well (Roussel, Sutter, Granlund).

For your first part, I think his stats were inflated thanks to the twins.  Typically speaking, I stand by my belief that he has not proven himself to be a 2nd line guy.

For the second part, I do agree.  At least early in the season until we know what we have with some of our players. I guess that would *technically* make him a top 6 guy wouldn't it?  We'll see....

I'm certainly not saying Granlund doesn't have talent.  He does, and a lot more than we saw from him last season in a shutdown role.  I'm just saying that his belief that he's a top 6 guy has little basis so far. I'd like nothing more than for him to be a true top 6 guy; that would help our team quite a bit since we may be lacking both a "utility" type player as well as one more body in the top six - especially while Pettersson is presumably going to be sheltered, Dahlen potentially the same when he is ready, and we are waiting for the Linds and company to develop.

Edited by kloubek

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I stand by my belief that he has not proven himself to be a 2nd line guy.

How many 'proven' guys do we have on our little rebuilding team though? That's kind of the point.

Now personally, I have him penciled in on our '4th' line with Beagle and Schaller. But he could just as easily earn himself the LW role with Horvat and Boeser too (or end up there with injuries). Or end up on either middle 6 line as well.

Is he a bonafide top 6 player? Perhaps not. I'd probably put him at the level of 2nd/3rd line or 'middle 6 tweener' on his own. He's certainly shown enough skill in the past that he could arguably play a complimentary top 6 role with better players (not dissimilar to Burrows -or himself- with the Sedins) and/or fill in there for injuries but isn't probably a top 6 player in his own right.

I think there's winger spots up for grabs on all 4 lines and other than guys like Goldobin or Gagner likely needing to be in top 6, offensive roles (or 13th/14th forward), the rest can (and likely will) move up and down, in and out of the lineup as opposition, slumps, injuries, chemistry etc dictates.

____, Horvat, Boeser

Baer, Pettersson, ____

Roussel, Sutter, ____

Schaller, Beagle, ____

13th____, 14, ____

Five or six spots to be filled by some mix of Eriksson, Gagner, Leipsic, Goldobin, Virtanen and Granlund.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1