The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, aGENT said:

And still playing a largely defensive role with defensive line mates. 

He's underrated by many. 

Lockwood and Madden say hi! ::D I do think Granlund is under rated as well but doubt he is a long term Canuck. He likely has another 2 years to prove me wrong.  Geez I forgt Gaudette. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Wonder if he is being sat because he is on the block.  Good for a playoff team with a poor PK?

Would the Wild be at all interested?

The Wild have hired two of the founders of war-on-ice.  They have a very developed analytics department.  There's been a few articles showing Granlund doing pretty poorly advanced stat wise on the PK.  The Wild's PK is also top-5 in the league.  He's not the kind of player they need.

16 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Wonder if he is being sat because he is on the block.  Good for a playoff team with a poor PK?

Would the Wild be at all interested?

I was thinking the same thing. You know his bro will vouch for him.  Sure would be nice to package him and get Coyle out of there somehow. I think he'd look great on Petey or Bos line.

6 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

well I wasn't reaching that high lol, was thinking more of a bottom pick or even a prospect putting up decent point totals in the A

Yeah your right more of a pipe dream and for sure we'd be adding but he has been mentioned on the block for some reason. I'd love Greenway just as much but I imagine there quite high on him as well.

7 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Going by Bennings history kinda thinking another fixer upper with youth, or even Granlund, and our extra 7th, picking up a salary dump player on short term and an upgraded pick

Yeah upgrading a pick is always a good idea. Wouldnt want term of Pateryn or Foligno though. Maybe Fehr plus a 4th of 5th pick.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Why he's on the powerplay is beyond me. 

His play was subpar tonight. What stuck out to me the most was how he could have sent Motte on a breakaway on a PK but ended up fumbling the puck and turning it over. Can't play offense, and can't play defense that well either. Can someone please explain his worth to the team? (Serious/genuine inquiry)

Edited by suitup
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, suitup said:

His play was subpar tonight. What stuck out to me the most was how he could have sent Motte on a breakaway on a PK but ended up fumbling the puck and turning it over. Can't play offense, and can't play defense that well either. Can someone please explain his worth to the team? (Serious/genuine inquiry)

Versatile, 2 way player that can play all three F positions, up and down the lineup in a pinch, who the coach can trust.

By all means he hasn't had the best year (though he's done basically everything asked of him) and I'm doubtful he's back as we have an abundance of similar/better depth players with the additions of guys like Roussel, Leivo, Pearson, Gaudette coming on and more youth pushing from Utica next year. But that has been his 'worth to the team'.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, suitup said:

What nonsense wadr.

You isolate one bouncing puck as evidence of a subpar night?  Cool story.

How about the objective outcomes:

Granlund had 28% ozone starts, 60% corsi and lead all forwards in ice time last night - second only to Edler overall.

He played a pretty strictly shutdown role, gave up nothing, was +1 and yet here we are dwelling on a meaningless incident where he failed to force a pass to a line-mate.

It reminds me of the GDT where people were whinging because he couldn't force a pass to Motte for an empty-net hat-trick goal.

People's priorities get messed up when they incident gaze like this - every player makes these kinds of 'mistakes' every night and can easily be comparably cherry-picked.

Motte whiffed on an empty net goal on a beautiful steal and feed from Beagle in the closing minutes - does that mean Motte also had a 'subpar' night?  

• Cheers 2

On 12/14/2018 at 11:47 AM, Boudrias said:

Lockwood and Madden say hi! ::D I do think Granlund is under rated as well but doubt he is a long term Canuck. He likely has another 2 years to prove me wrong.  Geez I forgt Gaudette. 

They're primarily playing Gaudette at Centre and Granlund on the Wing. I don't see Gaudette as competition for Granlund. 

More or less he’s competing with Baertschi, Virtanen, Motte, MacEwen, Gadjovich etc.