The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Hawks interested in Hamhuis and Vrbata

Nail

Just now, Down by the River said:

If this is the case, the Canucks are going to be eating like 90% of Hamhuis and Vrbata's salary. I can't imagine the Aquas would be too happy about that.

You only can retain up to 50% of any contract.

I also only think you can retain cap on 3 deals at one time, maybe 2.

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

I think we need a pokka/honka in the return. We tried shink for a D that didnt work, Moving hammer and not getting a good D prospect would be unfortunate, unless the forwards coming back are really good

In reality we need three or even four cascading young D to arrive. And one to be special when all is said and done.

Lets call Hutton the first? Hopefully Tryamkin or Pedan can be the 2knd.  But we still need to stack the decks to ensure we get the ultimate outcome. (And I'm sceptical we have the special player among yet?).

8 minutes ago, theminister said:

Farhan also just said on 1040 that he knows for sure that Hammer has been asked about the Chicago possibility.

I hadn't heard that before.

That might explain Dan's stumbling in the interview this morning. He seemed a little flustered about the question of destinations. 

That was a little more direct line of questioning mind you, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a pre-hire Linden white lie or something similar.

Then again, Lalji isn't always the best for hockey news, and he is covering the football combine in the US right now so I'm not sure just how connected he is at the moment.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I hope the best for Hamhuis and hope that management realizes how valuable he is to this club. His dedication to the team exceeds the lip service that a lot of players give out when talking about their teams.

I think he will be dealt, but I believe that it will be a Vermette type of situation, where Hammer will return to the Canucks as a free agent.

And to those saying that he'll cripple the club with his salary demands, I don't believe that for a second. He truly wants to see the Canucks flourish and will work with them to do so.

Besides, who presently do the Canucks have in their defensive corps who could realistically act as a mentor to the young defensemen coming into the team?

Edler doesn't really display anything resembling being a mentor or leader at all.

Tanev is still too young in my humble opinion to take on that role.

So Hamhuis leaves and the defense becomes rudderless.

Where do you think the current d-core is other than rudderless. Since Hamhuis would re-sign as a 3LD what would be the going rate and what would Hammer be asking. Anything more than $1.5 for a 3LD is overpayment. Signing Hamhuis to 3LD means no rookies in that slot. This simply does not work especially for the term that Hamhuis would want.

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

McDavid and Eichel play against the teams top lines every night, Horvat does not. They still are nowhere near as bad in the +/- as Horvat and they're in their first year in the league. Not just that but they put up way more points than Horvat. If Horvat is taking face/offs against other teams top line centre his face/off % would be lower as well. 

McDavid is on pace for a 100 point season if he had played all the games. You're really going to try and compare these players to Horvat.. give me a break.

Plus minus is a useless stat. Period. To say Bo Horvat is bad defensively because he's -30 would be like saying Felix Hernandez was an average pitcher in 2010 because he had a record of 13 wins 12 losses. In case you didn't know, he won the Cy Young that year.

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Where do you think the current d-core is other than rudderless. Since Hamhuis would re-sign as a 3LD what would be the going rate and what would Hammer be asking. Anything more than $1.5 for a 3LD is overpayment. Signing Hamhuis to 3LD means no rookies in that slot. This simply does not work especially for the term that Hamhuis would want.

K

Just now, fanofvan said:

All the more impressive....on pace for 100 points but still a - player.

I'm not comparing either to Horvat, I'm simply saying you cherry picked stats and players to support your argument.  I cherry picked players to refute your argument.  McDavid averages the 3rd most TOI for centres on Edmonton and Eichel the 2nd most, so obviously they arent facing the top line of opposing teams.

I didn't cherry pick anything. I compared Horvat to other 20 year olds in the league who are projected to be first line centre's. They are much better offensively than he is. 

Archived