The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crazy - are the USA setting up to invade Saskatchewan?

Putgolzin

Have you guys seen those North America by Night photos from NASA or whatever? I've attached one here.

So, I'm looking at it and cross-referencing Canadian and American cities just by where I figure they are located in relation to the brightest lights.

And then I notice something - one of the biggest cities in the US is just south of Regina. But when I try to look that city up (because I can't think what it would be), there's absolutely nothing there. Maybe a couple of places as big as Abbotsford, but this city is probably three times the size of Vancouver based on the light.

This obviously massive city doesn't exist.

What is it?

North_America_Night.jpg

10 minutes ago, nzan said:

Have you guys seen those North America by Night photos from NASA or whatever? I've attached one here.

So, I'm looking at it and cross-referencing Canadian and American cities just by where I figure they are located in relation to the brightest lights.

And then I notice something - one of the biggest cities in the US is just south of Regina. But when I try to look that city up (because I can't think what it would be), there's absolutely nothing there. Maybe a couple of places as big as Abbotsford, but this city is probably three times the size of Vancouver based on the light.

This obviously massive city doesn't exist.

What is it?

North_America_Night.jpg

Who cares!  It's a pretty picture.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, trek said:

Whatever substance you are on, I think you've had enough.

fair enough.

but off to the right (and on Lake Michigan) there is a comparatively sized city...it's called Chicago.

Denver is way further south (directly south) and about 1/4 the size.

4 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Best guess would be a combination of all the central cities in North Dakota, coupled with drilling operations in the Bakken Oilfields.

My guess as well. Those night pics are curved and not necessarily rotated the same as a map would be. So the light cluster is likely farther south than it appears. Bismark is pretty darn close to that cluster.

Bakken Shale-Oil Drilling and Flaring Lights Up the Night Sky

Our friends at NOAA's National Geophysical Data Center provided us with this very interesting satellite image composite of the upper Midwest, made from nighttime satellite images collected by the U.S. Air Force'sDefense Meteorological Satellite Program.  State outlines are superimposed on the image: 

Bakken-lights-N_Dakota_2010_2000_1992_rg
Multiyear composite (1992, 2000, 2010) of nighttime DMSP satellite images of the Midwestern United States. Image courtesy NGDC.

Multiple cloud-free images collected over several years have been combined to make this picture:  1992 is shown in blue, 2000 in green, and 2010 in red.  Places that had lots of light in all three years show up bright white (equal amounts of blue, green and red) -- that basically shows established cities and towns that haven't changed much over that time period.

But whoa, check out that big patch of red in the northwest corner of North Dakota.  That indicates an area of bright lights in 2010 that was dark in 2000 and 1992.  What could this be?

Here's a hint:  a map showing the extent of the red-hot Bakken Shale oil-drilling boom that got underway a few years ago. Oil is being produced from the Bakken by drilling and hydraulically fracturing (yes, that's "fracking") long horizontal wells, the same approach that is driving new drilling for oil and natural gas in the Haynesville, Fayetteville, Barnett, Marcellus, Utica, Niobrara and other hydrocarbon-rich shale formations around the country:

Bakken_wells_map_2010.png
Wells drilled in the Bakken Shale, northwestern North Dakota - northeastern Montana.

So why is this area all lit up at night?  Well, the rigs and other facilities are highly illuminatedbecause drilling is a 24/7 proposition - time is money so there is no "down time."

But there is another reason too: operators in this oil field are flaring off large quantities of natural gas.  That's right, burning it off as a hazardous nuisance.  Meanwhile some folks on the campaign trail and on Capitol Hill complain loudly that environmental rules and government policies are limiting industry's access to more public lands throughout America so they can drill for - you got it - natural gas. Despite the fact that industry is already sitting onthousands of approved drilling permits that remain idle, and millions of acres of leases they aren't developing 

Yep, this makes my head hurt too. 

So sit back and watch this spectacular time-lapse video shot by astronauts on the International Space Station for another view of this lit-up drilling area from space.  Go full screen for maximum enjoyment.  Maybe the stunning aurora borealis and flashes of lightning will make the headache go away... 

Archived