The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Anyone Think This Is A Playoff Team Next Year?

TheGuardian_

Playoffs or Not  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Canucks' are going to be mediorce for years to come. After the Sedins' retire, then we will see what's what.

The way things are going this guy is closest. Canucks will be a yes and no team for a long time until they find some star talent.

Unless the current size added to our d earns a full time spot on the roster, i predict another injury filled year though not to this years magnitude. If we stay reasonably healthy I see us as a bubble team at best next year.

assuming we don't land any significant free agents.

Nowhere near good enough, especially with the Sedins, Edler, Burrows and Miller all getting older and worse. The kids are nowhere near ready to pick up their slack.

The entire year revolves around our defence IMO. We know our forwards will be better (the kids are all going to be better) and while the Sedins will likely take a step back, the offence as a whole will improve. Defence-wise, who knows what's going to happen.

Hamhuis will either go or resign for less and be a worse player.

Edler may take a step back as he gets older

Tanev looked average this season and isn't getting any better, looks like he's peaked

Hutton is getting MUCH better game by game and could be a legit top-4 defenceman next season or could be a wild-card

Tryamkin - who knows what he does next season

Sbisa is a guaranteed 5th-4th defenceman 18-20 minute guy and ideally no more

Subban and Pedan are both probably still not NHL ready

Leaves a lot of question marks there on defence and IMO our season goes the way of our defence, similar to this year. Held it together with injuries but as soon as our leader Edler went down with injury, the team cracked and collapsed.

lol this team is a playoff team? what part of the 3 california team can we match up against in the division? we have a losing record against the oilers and the flames lol.. so where are the points going to come from to make the playoff when we can't even compete in our own division?

8 hours ago, riffraff said:

Unless the current size added to our d earns a full time spot on the roster, i predict another injury filled year though not to this years magnitude. If we stay reasonably healthy I see us as a bubble team at best next year.

assuming we don't land any significant free agents.

Yeah a little to soft on d and the bottom 6 for my liking and not a lot of goal scoring in it as well. Daryl Sutter is right when he said this a 3 goal league to win on a nightly basis. Injuries again next year will expose the lack of depth the team has. The rebuild is going to take some time and some people want that magic quick fix that never works.

20 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Nowhere near good enough, especially with the Sedins, Edler, Burrows and Miller all getting older and worse. The kids are nowhere near ready to pick up their slack.

The entire year revolves around our defence IMO. We know our forwards will be better (the kids are all going to be better) and while the Sedins will likely take a step back, the offence as a whole will improve. Defence-wise, who knows what's going to happen.

Hamhuis will either go or resign for less and be a worse player.

Edler may take a step back as he gets older

Tanev looked average this season and isn't getting any better, looks like he's peaked

Hutton is getting MUCH better game by game and could be a legit top-4 defenceman next season or could be a wild-card

Tryamkin - who knows what he does next season

Sbisa is a guaranteed 5th-4th defenceman 18-20 minute guy and ideally no more

Subban and Pedan are both probably still not NHL ready

Leaves a lot of question marks there on defence and IMO our season goes the way of our defence, similar to this year. Held it together with injuries but as soon as our leader Edler went down with injury, the team cracked and collapsed.

I think fans have to ask where the Canucks would be this year if the Twins had not produced early like they did. Can they do that again? If not, as you suggest, the outcome becomes very negative. Does WD try and build a 2nd line around Sutter because he did not this season, it was Horvat. What Sutter was supposed to bring was a solid FO% which the team needs badly. If they want to play a puck possession game it is tough when their FO% is far below 0.50%. Not only did this stat hurt the offense but it really hurt the d-side as the defense had to turn continually to battle for pucks and fight heavy fore checks.

Again, as you suggest the d-core will be a huge part of any positive season next year. So many question marks. If Tryamkin can capture a top 4 spot it will be a big step forward. I do not see any spot for Hamhuis as I see it being a choice between him and Edler. Edler still gets my vote. Ultimately as the team rebuilds I can see Tanev being traded. UFA signings are also a big ? as Benning could surprise either with a trade or a signing.

My conclusion has to be that the odds are that the team struggles again next year. Even if they do not it is simply a bonus as the Twins will be gone sooner than most want to accept. Expecting the youth to pick up the Twins production quickly is not fair or realistic. As much as fans talk a brave story on rebuild the expectations far exceed what probably happens. This is why I was a 'tanker'. It was the faster and safer way of acquiring prospects that could make a difference. It was not only the 1st Round pick but all the higher subsequent picks lower in the draft. Highly likely that a top 3 pick would be a franchise player, hopefully as good as Linden and the Sedins. Gone now.  

I think it will come down to what we can attract for UFA's over the next few years. I think we have room for at least an offensive defenseman and if there is a player & agent looking for those dollars they might look to Vancouver which has been a cap team for a while and still might.

But for me personally I think we need some solid defensive players on the back end and bottom six to truly get back to the playoffs. Guys like Bartkowski and Weber need to move on. I'm not sold on our defense, not all that physical and very little offense outside of Edler... Biega is too small to last a long season... Hamhuis could cover as our sixth guy with managed minutes...

A solid offensive #1-3 guy would push Beiga to the 7th spot. Still a pretty un intimidating defense... Outside of Tyamkin of course

Tanev Edler

Tryamkin Hutton

Sbisa Biega

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I think fans have to ask where the Canucks would be this year if the Twins had not produced early like they did. Can they do that again? If not, as you suggest, the outcome becomes very negative. Does WD try and build a 2nd line around Sutter because he did not this season, it was Horvat. What Sutter was supposed to bring was a solid FO% which the team needs badly. If they want to play a puck possession game it is tough when their FO% is far below 0.50%. Not only did this stat hurt the offense but it really hurt the d-side as the defense had to turn continually to battle for pucks and fight heavy fore checks.

Again, as you suggest the d-core will be a huge part of any positive season next year. So many question marks. If Tryamkin can capture a top 4 spot it will be a big step forward. I do not see any spot for Hamhuis as I see it being a choice between him and Edler. Edler still gets my vote. Ultimately as the team rebuilds I can see Tanev being traded. UFA signings are also a big ? as Benning could surprise either with a trade or a signing.

My conclusion has to be that the odds are that the team struggles again next year. Even if they do not it is simply a bonus as the Twins will be gone sooner than most want to accept. Expecting the youth to pick up the Twins production quickly is not fair or realistic. As much as fans talk a brave story on rebuild the expectations far exceed what probably happens. This is why I was a 'tanker'. It was the faster and safer way of acquiring prospects that could make a difference. It was not only the 1st Round pick but all the higher subsequent picks lower in the draft. Highly likely that a top 3 pick would be a franchise player, hopefully as good as Linden and the Sedins. Gone now.  

Did we just break the league record for the lowest ever FO%?

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol this team is a playoff team? what part of the 3 california team can we match up against in the division? we have a losing record against the oilers and the flames lol.. so where are the points going to come from to make the playoff when we can't even compete in our own division?

Dont we have the upper hand on atleast 2 cali teams this year? I know we won the season against the Kings, and i think the Ducks as well? Judging by what your saying then a winning record against the Kings make us contenders? Lol

Depends on what we do this off season, if the team stays largely unchanged, no, we won't.  If we land Lucic or Ericsson, and make a trade or two that helps fill some holes, then I don't see why not.

4 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

Dont we have the upper hand on atleast 2 cali teams this year? I know we won the season against the Kings, and i think the Ducks as well? Judging by what your saying then a winning record against the Kings make us contenders? Lol

well let's not look at records then.. we were man handled by the kings ducks and sharks majority of the games we played even in the ones we won except for our goalie standing on their head..

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

well let's not look at records then.. we were man handled by the kings ducks and sharks majority of the games we played even in the ones we won except for our goalie standing on their head..

Thats why we have Tryamkin, Virtanen, Pedan, and soon enough, Laine!!!

Those with high hope of ufas are going to be disappointed A and B grade ufa are going to sign with a team that is in a rebuild has no direction and a horrible management/ownership like Vancouver.

Vrbata Higgins (to name just two) don't need to tell others how they got treated it's blatantly obvious to those that don't wear the Benning fanboy blinders.

Dysfunctional and disarray yeah I'm sure they'll be lining up for that. 

Playoffs three years away that's two after Benning/linden/Willie disaster are gone. 

Archived