The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pick #33

Clague then Johansen. Too many two-way guys, so we need more offense and big hitting defensemen. I read that Clague had a rough start to his season, scoring only 8 points in his first 31 games. After that he went on a tear, scoring 27 points in his last 26 games and is currently following that up with 14 points in 19 playoff games, including 6 goals which matches his full season total. Clague typically plays on his off-side with a less-than-stellar partner and behind Provorov. He also gets secondary PP minutes.

He has a bit of ways to go in terms of his defensive game, but if he improves that then next year could be a monster year for him. He put up Jake Bean-like points in the last bit of the season, and if he could keep that consistency and round out his game he could be a real steal as a late first-early second round pick.

18 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Can someone please point me to the direction where I can find out why Sean Day isn't even considered 2nd round worthy ? I mean i know a bit of his backstory: given CHL exemption year early, ala 'generational stars' but turned out to be a big body who is still a defensive project.

My question is, well whats so bad about that ? Drafting a' big, strong D-prospect, who is a good skater but his 'defence-IQ' needs to develop further' sounds like bread-and-butter move for a 2nd rounder. 

Like, i seriously think his likely story may be somewhere in the Kevin Bieksa range than Ekblad, but isn't that the whole point of 2nd round draft picks ? to become the Kevin Bieksas and 'at your peak a very important piece of pie/4thD' part of the pie ?

Near as I can figure he's on a Yann Sauve trajectory and will be lucky to be picked in the second round.

15 hours ago, FrankieCorrado said:

Johansen is my favourite at 33, my next pick would be Clague, then It would be Benson I would absorb the risk on him. 

I also really like Bastian but he will probably go late first round. 

I would also take a look at DeBrincat if he falls which I think he will.

I would NOT touch DeBrincat whatsoever. Hes too small. 

6 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

a 50 goal scorer in the OHL with a second round pick is a decent risk even at his size.

back to back 50 goal scorer, I should say.

Also, I don't see any way he ends up in Vancouver anyway.

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

There is no argument that he is small at 5.7   but he has put up some serious point two season back to back. I know Guadreau and Gallagher are a touch bigger, but they are both very talented players and they are doing very well in the NHL. There was risk taking those guys but they panned out very well. Neither were taken with a second which makes the comparisons difficult i suppose.

Its certainly a risk to take a undersized prospect but DeBrincat has some good tools to work with. I would consider picking him in the second. Yes its a risk but if he can continue to score points thats something the Canucks desperately need.

2 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

There is no argument that he is small at 5.7   but he has put up some serious point two season back to back. I know Guadreau and Gallagher are a touch bigger, but they are both very talented players and they are doing very well in the NHL. There was risk taking those guys but they panned out very well. Neither were taken with a second which makes the comparisons difficult i suppose.

Its certainly a risk to take a undersized prospect but DeBrincat has some good tools to work with. I would consider picking him in the second. Yes its a risk but if he can continue to score points thats something the Canucks desperately need.

We need a D more. 

Re: above posts 

DeBrincat is the type of player that makes me wish we'd somehow acquired an extra pick in the early rounds.

If we had picked up a late 1st or a 2nd (from Hamhuis, Shinkaruk, etc), I'd be fine with swinging for the fences on DeBrincat (or a similar type player) with one of either #33 or that added pick, and taking a solid D prospect with the other.

But as it stands, I don't think we have enough volume to be taking risks with our picks, and I see Benning looking for more "sure thing" options with #33.

Which is kind of a shame since I think DeBrincat will probably make it and become a pretty good player in the NHL (likely as a middle-six or 2nd line scoring forward, with some upside to be even better than that).

However, if by some miracle he slipped down to #63, we should be all over that. Unfortunately, that's just not very likely. Much better chance (and deservedly so) he's gone before we even pick at #33.

53 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Check out this kid Adam Mascherin. I believe he's projected to go early in the second round.

Not the tallest guy, but he's a sniper in the making. Looks like another Boeser IMO.

Helluva shot, and player, but he might be redundant if we take Tkachuk/Dubois with 5th OA.

I'd rather take a defenceman here at 33

I want Lucas Johnasen.

But I have a feeling he will be that one player that will find a way to sneak into the first round.  i honestly think there will be a team that will like him enough to take him.  Especially when you get into the later 20's picks in the first round, teams in those positions aren't afraid to go off the board.  I think Lucas will be gone by then.

So if not, I'd love the Nucks to trade the 33rd, to go down a lil further in the second, in the same time get another pick or asset and draft Ryan Lindgren.

Not a sexy pick by any means but this kid just screams JB loving

http://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-lindgren-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

Minneapolis, Minnesota-native Ryan Lindgren played his second season in the NTDP and has collected 19 points, which exactly matches his number from his first season.

Lindgren is a typical defenceman of the NTDP and lives up to their values of determination, hard work, strength and power. I would describe him rather as a defensive minded defender who has some offensive upsides though, especially on the powerplay where he can play an important puckmoving role as he distributes the puck with accuracy and uses his hard shot from the point.

Lindgren is extremely hard to beat in puck battles as he uses his strength and skating balance to stay balanced on his skates. He does own board battles and is physically strong. He likes to battle in front of the net and keeps opponents successfully away from scoring on rebounds. He displays a good defensive understanding of the game and does not commit a lot of mistakes when carrying the puck.

Ryan Lindgren sees the ice very well both offensively & defensively. Good hands to get the pass there as well. #NTDP #USAvsASU

Lindgren is a strong skater and possesses powerful strides which he can use to outskate opponents not only with his decent top speed but also with his powerful skating style. Although he focuses on his own zone game, he does have some offensive upside as well. He does join rushes from time to time to generate odd-man rushes. Lindgren uses an active stick to keep the puck alive in the offensive zone and closes the gap along the boards to keep the puck in the offensive zone. When he carries the puck he is very calm and matured and does not panic or give the puck away easily.

Lindgren is showing good leadership skills. He has captained the U.S. U18 team in International tournaments and communicates well on the ice.

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

Check out this kid Adam Mascherin. I believe he's projected to go early in the second round.

Not the tallest guy, but he's a sniper in the making. Looks like another Boeser IMO.

I was just going to post about this kid. He's looking like a Fabbri type pick, but maybe wouldn't rise as high or be selected as high. 

2 hours ago, Tystick said:

He put up some pretty decent numbers both in the regular season as well as in the playoffs. He can score, he has a high work ethic which comes with speed, skill, and the ability to score by outmuscling opposing players.  He does have one heck of a cannon. He's like the lightning rod type of player who brings energy to the game. Pretty good chance  he will be gone by the time the Canucks pick though.

Archived