The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pick #33

2 hours ago, Hedman said:

I personally haven't seen anything of Mattson, but the guy is ranked 61st for NA skaters and had pretty underwhelming numbers in the USHL. Seems like he would be a huge reach in the 2nd round considering there should be a couple of good defensemen available, and a few other guys that could have been 1st round picks. He will probably be available in the 3rd round anyways, or even in the 4th or 5th round. Again, seems like a huge reach in the 2nd round, so not sure how it's "most likely that we pick him" if he "drops".

Have you seen him play, it sounds like you think he could be gone in the 1st round? How is his skating? Or is it just because he's big and that he has committed to a great University, the exact same University that Boeser is committed to? Just wondering.

this site had him going 29thhttp://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2016/

so I did some searching....a project for sure but something tells me he might be a sleeper.  Skating seems fine all reports seem to whine about him no very heavy for 6'4... he could still be growing into his body.

On May 4, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Nucksfollower1983 said:

If Lindros ever makes the hall of fame it will be a shameful day for hockey. ya sure he was a good player but he is also a notoriously selfish douche and isn't worthy of the honour of an HHoF induction.

who cares if hes a douche he was a game changer  and  destroyed opposition at will  hes very deserving of being in the hall 

3 hours ago, canuktravella said:

bruins failed miserable  at last yrs draft faill

They sure did! I don't know if they would have taken Boeser as I don't think he was even the consensus at our pick. However at Bostons picks they could have had 3 of Barzal, Connor, Konecny or Zboril as I think those were the top 4 ranked players at the time of their picks. Even if they took 1 of them they wouldn't look so bad. I can't believe with 3 picks they didn't take Barzal or Connor.

14 hours ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

I am both a Flyers fan and a Nucks fan. I know for a fact that If Ivan Provorov didnt hog all the minutes this year, Clague would be a mid first rounder atleast. This kids the real deal!

Yeah Brandon has Provorov 73 points and Erkamps 71 points ahead of Clague 43 points on the depth charts. 2 very good point producers from the backend taking time away from Clague on good offensive situations. If Clague falls to our pick at 33 I think he should be our pick and we'd be lucky to have him. I'd put money on Clague being the highest scoring dman in the WHL next season with both Provorov and Ekramps leaving he should see way more time on the ice on the best lines.

On 5/7/2016 at 11:24 AM, SILLY GOOSE said:

IMO he is fairly aggressive by nature, he will try but the rest of the NHL still won't be interested in assets the Canucks would be willing to movie i.e. not the younger players.  

There are teams trying to get to the cap floor who may be interested in a Burrows at 4.5 million hit but they only have to pay 3 million. 

Not saying that will happen for sure, but there are teams out there that struggle to stay above the floor. 

A lot of what is being said about Lucas Johansen was said about Damon Severson a few years back. Obviously Severson is bigger while Johansen is the smoother skater, but the impact they have are very similar. Both are high character, smart players with solid offensive upside. Johansen is strong defensively and has the smarts and decent enough tools to put up points at the NHL level. Also, with Johansen being playing for the Rockets, there is zero concern and harm in leaving him in the dub for a couple years. Unless there is a serious faller, Johansen should be our guy :) 

On 5/8/2016 at 3:51 PM, VegasCanuck said:

There are teams trying to get to the cap floor who may be interested in a Burrows at 4.5 million hit but they only have to pay 3 million. 

Not saying that will happen for sure, but there are teams out there that struggle to stay above the floor. 

We'd gladly eat that 2.25 to move Burrows, but there's so many teams that are up against the cap and the rest are going to fill that bottom 6 role with their own prospects. I can seriously see Burrows in Utica, but he could definitely end up on a cap floor team like you say.

Burr will do whatever it takes to play hockey next year and not just for the 4.5 million. I'd love for him to be a player/coach in Utica if it came to that.

5 hours ago, asian player said:

A lot of what is being said about Lucas Johansen was said about Damon Severson a few years back. Obviously Severson is bigger while Johansen is the smoother skater, but the impact they have are very similar. Both are high character, smart players with solid offensive upside. Johansen is strong defensively and has the smarts and decent enough tools to put up points at the NHL level. Also, with Johansen being playing for the Rockets, there is zero concern and harm in leaving him in the dub for a couple years. Unless there is a serious faller, Johansen should be our guy :) 

I'm not sure Johansen will be available at 33 with the season he's had.

I remember Benning mentioning a defenseman they liked around the 20th pick. I could see that being Johansen.

I bet that if the player Benning wants is gone at 5 he'll try to trade back for a pick around 10 and one around 20 to take Jost or Brown and Johansen. Just a hunch.

Can someone please point me to the direction where I can find out why Sean Day isn't even considered 2nd round worthy ? I mean i know a bit of his backstory: given CHL exemption year early, ala 'generational stars' but turned out to be a big body who is still a defensive project.

My question is, well whats so bad about that ? Drafting a' big, strong D-prospect, who is a good skater but his 'defence-IQ' needs to develop further' sounds like bread-and-butter move for a 2nd rounder. 

Like, i seriously think his likely story may be somewhere in the Kevin Bieksa range than Ekblad, but isn't that the whole point of 2nd round draft picks ? to become the Kevin Bieksas and 'at your peak a very important piece of pie/4thD' part of the pie ?

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I'm not sure Johansen will be available at 33 with the season he's had.

I remember Benning mentioning a defenseman they liked around the 20th pick. I could see that being Johansen.

I bet that if the player Benning wants is gone at 5 he'll try to trade back for a pick around 10 and one around 20 to take Jost or Brown and Johansen. Just a hunch.

Maybe Day is the guy JB is hoping for at 33?  We really don't know JB's thoughts.  Day is like you say, a project.  But at least he has the size and skill needed to work with.  

There seems to be alot of great options to choose from at #33

Johansen is at the top of my list since we need a defense prospect and didn't get one in the 1st.

Stanley is my 2nd if he happens to fall but I don't think he will

Morrison is my favorite forward. He had a very good showing at U18. More depth at LW

Johansen is my favourite at 33, my next pick would be Clague, then It would be Benson I would absorb the risk on him. 

I also really like Bastian but he will probably go late first round. 

I would also take a look at DeBrincat if he falls which I think he will.

Archived