The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

Utica bound! If he can spend a couple years down there playing against men he will be all the better for it when he is ready for the NHL in a few years. D do take longer to develop (as we can see with Sbisa) so no need to rush Stecher who could turn out to very serviceable for the franchise.

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

Typically I'd hate to rush prospects into the lineup, because it means that you're putting in an incomplete player into the lineup just because you don't have better options. 

The thing about Stecher is that he's already got the vision, the smarts, and the skill to already play effectively on the third pairing. The only question is whether he can play defensively and withstand the physicality of the NHL. 

But with the way he's played so far, he he's been handling players like Hertl (as referenced by WD), he's been elusive, and when he doesn't evade contact, he seems to be able to take it and not get knocked off the puck so easily. 

Stecher is a literately born in the same month as Hutton and a whole year younger, meaning he's currently in the same progression timeline as Hutton last year. Not to mention, Tanev was WAY more manhandled than Stecher currently is when he first made the team full time.

I think Tanev turned out alright. 

Whether he makes it or not is up to management, but I certainly wouldn't be upset with either decision. 

43 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Stetcher 

Absolutely this is what our starting six on opening night will be.  Tryamkin will be the seventh guy, with Larsen in the press-box.  Pedan will be in the press-box too, as an 8th d, and a 13th forward hybrid. 

55 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Even if he's sent to Utica, we still win. A tenure under Coach Green will only benefit his game. 

Okay, but how is that a win if he gets sent down, while he's better than the guys who stay?  The players know who are the best players, and they want those guys on the team who give them the best chance of winning.  The management is saying openly it's about winning, and putting the team on the ice that gives us the best chance at that.  Sending Stecher down, while lesser players take his spot, will make other players very upset - the Twins to start.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely this is what our starting six on opening night will be.  Tryamkin will be the seventh guy, with Larsen in the press-box.  Pedan will be in the press-box too, as an 8th d, and a 13th forward hybrid. 

So you plan on having only 11 forwards?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Okay, but how is that a win if he gets sent down, while he's better than the guys who stay?  The players know who are the best players, and they want those guys on the team who give them the best chance of winning.  The management is saying openly it's about winning, and putting the team on the ice that gives us the best chance at that.  Sending Stecher down, while lesser players take his spot, will make other players very upset - the Twins to start.

How do you know what the players are feeling?

On September 30, 2016 at 6:05 AM, thejazz97 said:

Yeah, we have to expose one defenseman who's played 70+ games. It'd be between Biega and Sbisa. If Biega plays 19 games (I think), he'd be eligible as well. Sbisa's already eligible IIRC.

How about this: let's tank the season already by making sure that by the trade deadline we will have a  stable of so-so players (e.g., Sbisa, Biega, Burrows) that have played X games and trade them for good picks. :P

2 hours ago, suitup said:

Typically I'd hate to rush prospects into the lineup, because it means that you're putting in an incomplete player into the lineup just because you don't have better options. 

The thing about Stecher is that he's already got the vision, the smarts, and the skill to already play effectively on the third pairing. The only question is whether he can play defensively and withstand the physicality of the NHL. 

But with the way he's played so far, he he's been handling players like Hertl (as referenced by WD), he's been elusive, and when he doesn't evade contact, he seems to be able to take it and not get knocked off the puck so easily. 

Stecher is a literately born in the same month as Hutton and a whole year younger, meaning he's currently in the same progression timeline as Hutton last year. Not to mention, Tanev was WAY more manhandled than Stecher currently is when he first made the team full time.

I think Tanev turned out alright. 

Whether he makes it or not is up to management, but I certainly wouldn't be upset with either decision. 

The numbers game is working against Stecher. We can assume Biega is waived and Sbisa is #5. That leaves Larsen, Tryamkin and Pedan. IMHO Benning has to know what these three have to offer. He can send Stecher down to Utica without risk. If Stecher plays well this fall he could be recalled by January. That gives Benning time to make decisions and possible trades.

• Upvote 1

Just now, J.R. said:

We already have too many forwards too :lol:

I like Pedan, but don't think he's good enough to really make our team as just a D, or just a forward.  Where does he fit then, if not as a kind of hybrid, coming into the lineup when we need some added toughness?  

Just now, Alflives said:

I like Pedan, but don't think he's good enough to really make our team as just a D, or just a forward.  Where does he fit then, if not as a kind of hybrid, coming into the lineup when we need some added toughness?  

He's just fine as a 7th/8th D. The only down side being that he could probably use more minutes.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He's just fine as a 7th/8th D.

As long as we keep him.  We need him.  I loved how he gave up 17 minutes of ice time (while knowing he needs to impress the coaches to stay on our team) to protect a teammate - Tanev in this case.  For me, that gets Pedan a spot.  I'd rather keep him than Larsen.  Doesn't Stecher make Larsen redundant and expendable?

Edited by Alflives

Just now, Alflives said:

As long as we keep him.  We need him.  I loved how he gave up 17 minutes of ice time (while knowing he needs to impress the coaches to stay on our team) to protect a teammate - Tanev in this case.  For me, that gets Pedan a spot.  I'd rather keep him than Larsen.

Larsen is competing with Stetcher, not Pedan.